It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:23 am • # 1 

"Geological Ancestors of the Brook Trout and Recent Sabling Forms From Which it Evolved", written by John Quackenbos, 1916, signed and numbered #208 out of 300. This was a gift from my father.

What's really neat is being able to track a little of the book's history, starting with the author

Then, a few years down the road

He pointed out a folded piece of paper inside. As I was opening it, he mentioned that he really didn't pay much for the book. This also added to the book's history.

I researched this online and found that these books sell for 300-500. While he never told me what he paid for it, I'm sure it wasn't more than twenty bucks.

I'll never sell this thing. The look of excitement on his face when I opened it gave this book way too much sentimental value to ever part with. Whomever I leave this to in my final days will also get a letter stating what this is and it's value, both personally and monetarily.

I've only thumbed through it, gently. The pages are folded, uncut, and printed on only one side. The book is in good shape, but I fear damaging it by excessive handling. I'm going to pick up a used reprint so I can read it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 am • # 2 

Wow! What a treasure! Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:03 pm • # 3 
Administrator

very cool!

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply