It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:34 am • # 1 

Friends -- please forgive the shameless plug, but my book, Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas became available this week. Official release date is May 1, but Amazon is shipping, and so are the local shops. It's a guidebook -- 101 legal access points and 49 detailed route descriptions on 18 streams within about an hour of the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue in downtown Austin. There's some local history, lots of wildlife, and recommendations for where to get a cold drink or hot meal if you are damp and your hands smell funny. There's also a comprehensive breakdown of Texas River Law and some thoughts about the challenges our waters are facing.

If you have any interest at all, I'd be grateful if you ordered from a fly shop during these uncertain times. If yours doesn't have it or doesn't carry books (they can get it, certainly), you can order from Living Waters Fly Fishing in Round Rock, Reel Fly in Canyon Lake, or Sportsman's Finest in Austin. I'm hoping my love for ultralight rods comes through loud and clear (a glass 3-wt really is the perfect tool for most of these waters), and you'll even see some board stalwarts pictured. Google will deliver any of the above to you.

This little project was actually conceived here, when I shared some blueline adventures.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:47 pm • # 2 

Aaron, are you going to reschedule the intro? I was looking forward to tossing some crickets with the half weight again up there., and a little whiskey sippin' at the party was looking attractive too......

Also, I left you a message yesterday; did you get it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:24 pm • # 3 

Jim, I did get your message. Sorry I didn't call back--suoer busy day yesterday. I did talk with our mutual buddy and it sounds like he'sturned the corner and things are going better, thankfully.

No plans to reschedule the partyatthis point,but I'm hoping maybe we can reschedule the TX-Okla Glassic for the fall!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:23 pm • # 4 

Got my copy Friday. Yeah, I did notice your choice of a glass 3 weight. I've got one from Chris Barclay that I need to try on some Texas limestone streams! I also noticed the Fiberglass Manifesto patch on your pack. Cool!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:29 pm • # 5 

Rio Seco wrote:
Got my copy Friday. Yeah, I did notice your choice of a glass 3 weight. I've got one from Chris Barclay that I need to try on some Texas limestone streams! I also noticed the Fiberglass Manifesto patch on your pack. Cool!

Sweet. Yeah, that Synthesis 68 is *made* for Central Texas streams. Thanks for the support, too!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:28 am • # 6 

Picked up a copy and I have been enjoying reading, flipping through and looking at all the nice pictures. Be careful with this book, after reading you might be pestered with urges to lay off from your assignments and go exploring. Now, to be truthful, I am in constant temptation to lay off, but reading this book has been like pouring gasoline on a fire for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:24 am • # 7 

Fishnmack wrote:
Picked up a copy and I have been enjoying reading, flipping through and looking at all the nice pictures. Be careful with this book, after reading you might be pestered with urges to lay off from your assignments and go exploring. Now, to be truthful, I am in constant temptation to lay off, but reading this book has been like pouring gasoline on a fire for me.

Thanks so much! Glad you are enjoying it. And you definitely should lay off work and fish. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:31 pm • # 8 

Aaron,
I have been through your book about 3 times now. Now I just need to get down your way and hit those streams. Hopefully, after an angioplasty this week, my left leg will finally heal up enough for me to start wading again. That bad case of cellulitis I went through back in April and May left some damage. I hope we can get another conclave set up down your way, if not next spring, then surely by early next fall.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply