It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 am • # 1 

This Book is from : The University of Wisconsin Press. The book is about fishing for trout using ultralight fly tackle. The author is from Wisconsin and a good amount of the material pertains to fishing Wisconsin's Driftless Area's spring creeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 am • # 2 
Administrator

Hi Joshw, Welcome! I haven't heard of that book but will look it up. Thanks for the recommendation!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:56 am • # 3 

This is a fantastic book by someone who was a pioneer in using ultralight fly fishing.  It is full of info from an expert in the field and a fine read.  Definitely to be read.Image 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 am • # 4 

Yep! I like Tom Wendleburgs books, good down to earth practical stuff. I can read & reread his books & not get board with them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:20 pm • # 5 

Wendelburg's book is to ultralight as Bergman's "Trout" is to.....trout!!!!
I've had it for several years and it's dog-eared, highlighted, penciled, penned.......
Seems like each time you pick it up and review something, it's new in understanding.

Between the book and printing out Bill Byrd's website and putting it into a binder, ain't nuthin' left to say on ultralightin' !!!!!!!!

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am • # 6 

I ordered a copy of this book a couple days ago, looking forward to it's arrival.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:40 am • # 7 
Administrator

I ordered a used copy for dirt cheap from Alibris earlier this year. I still haven't read the whole thing, but it certainly is a good book as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am • # 8 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I ordered a used copy for dirt cheap from Alibris earlier this year. I still haven't read the whole thing, but it certainly is a good book as far as I can tell.
I got a used copy for $12.50 and $3.99 S/H. It was listed as "Used - Acceptable" condition. It was a library copy and missing the dust jacket. I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but as long as it has all the pages I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Mine is a library copy as well, softcover that didn't look like it was checked out more than few times.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:43 pm • # 10 

Got my copy in the mail yesterday. Other than library property stamps and some stickers from the card catalog filing it looks brand new. I questioned whether it had every been checked out...then found a checkout receipt between some pages, from 2007.

Haven't done more than flip through it, but I'm looking forward to reading it this winter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 am • # 11 

Thanks all for your recommendations... can't think how I overlooked this title in the past, but a copy is now on its way ;)

Theo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:44 am • # 12 

you all "flung a cravin on me"; got a copy coming from alibris; $7 bucks library copy-p-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 am • # 13 

I received my copy the other day; nice copy. However, after reading most of it I have concluded that there are many on this site that could have added a lot to the book. Pretty basic information. I was pleased to notice how the information shared on this site enhances much of his information. Jeremy had a great idea-p-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm • # 14 

pearow wrote:
However, after reading most of it I have concluded that there are many on this site that could have added a lot to the book. Pretty basic information.

Keep in mind that the book primarily covers the early years of UL FF, when the Ultrafine 7'9" 2wt was about as light as it got. As a community, we've grown exponentially in experience and numbers since then. Still interesting and a good read, though. Worth having on the bookshelf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am • # 15 

you are right of course CC. A very good book on the basics of ul fishing. My intent was to say just that;...and.... that this site has added to that basic information; after rereading I can see my intent was poorly disguised-p-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 pm • # 16 

I think it's worthwhile to read the books like this one, and "Well Tempered Angler," and McClane's various volumes of re-packaged F&S articles, to see just how and why UL flyfishing developed. These guys went lighter primarily to solve specific angling challenges. I suspect that they then found, as did the rest of us, that the tackle is quite capable of handling "real" fish, and is a blast to use.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply