It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: America's Fly Lines
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 am • # 1 

Les (keebranch) was kind enough to send me a book I had never heard of before.  America's Fly Lines by Victor Johnson, Jr. is a pretty comprehensive look at the history and manufacturing of fly lines.  It's general enough in its approach to this subject that you don't get too bogged down in boring details, yet it provides a wealth of information.  Certainly more than I'll ever retain.  I wouldn't call it a book you can't put down, and it took me awhile to get through it, as I did so fairly often.  But if learning about past and present line manufacturers, as well as a bit of fly line history is of interest to you.... This book is worth checking out.

The book was (is?) published by:

EP Press
P.O. Box 272
Vallejo, CA. 94590
707-644-4788

ISBN#0-9740531-0-4

---David

Post subject: America's Fly Lines
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 pm • # 2 

Frankly, after reading the Johnsons' book on glass rods, I was expecting a better effort. I won't evict it from my reference shelf, but I didn't learn much if anything, and felt many of the chapters were "fluff"--more like press releases (in some cases, they were) than researched articles about the development of modern fly lines and the professional and corporate relationships that led us to today's selection of lines. Some companies that have been important to the sport were completely left out. Schwiebert's coverage of fly line development in "Trout" and the subsequent paperbound excerpted "Trout Tackle--One" was better, imo, although it suffers from having been written over three decades ago and thereby missing many of the greatest technical developments.
CC

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply