It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:17 pm • # 1 

I was going through my fishing books trying to decide which ones might be ready to move on, and this one caught my eye. Flipping through it, I was soon re-reading the whole thing. Neil Patterson, an Englishman who managed to convince his wife to move their family from London (and his successful career) into an old stone stable that they then somehow turned into a home over a number of years, all motivated by his desire to live on, and get to know intimately, one of Britain's best trout rivers.

Idyllic both in the modern sense and the charm of old literary form, this story of a life lived and fished on one piece of water is populated with practical advice, bucolic anecdotes, funny little sketches by the author, and charming characters in abundance. It may sound strange to compare "Chronicle" to "The Wind in the Willows," but they are both books ultimately about a river and all the abundance of life dependent on its flows and yearly cycles. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Published by Lyon & Burford, Chalkstream Chronicle is available from Amazon, Alibris, and other online booksellers, new and used. Get your own--I won't be giving mine up in this lifetime.
CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 pm • # 2 

Sounds like a good read Art. That's one I'd like to find. I'll probably check my library first, and see if they have it (or can inter-library loan one) as I tend to want to read something before I add it to my own library.

Thanks for the tip, especially since I'm just finishing a book (Two years before the mast) and looking for my next read.

---David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm • # 3 

You actually read it? I was an active duty naval officer for the better part of three decades and never met anyone who read that book. Any good?
CC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:07 am • # 4 

Yep. Cover to cover. I've really enjoyed it, and have added it to my library. But I'm probably the perfect individual to enjoy it. Having grown up surfing and sailing the Southern California coast, (which I still do as often as I can) I have a real interest in the "historical" narrative describing areas that I called home. Santa Barbara in particular. But being a small craft "sailor" and having done a fair amount of coastal (and some off-shore) cruising with my father, I have a great deal of interest in the sailing / voyage accounts as well. So the book "fits" me in a lot of ways. I'd recommend it to the right individual, but for the wrong individual (my wife for example) it would probably be a tough read. Knowledge of nautical terms is also handy to have. So as a past Naval Officer, if you're into that kind of thing, and enjoy a book written as a memoir, you'd probably find it enjoyable. I seem to recall from somewhere that "Two Years..." was once required reading for our naval enlisted men. Based upon what you've stated, that must be false. Perhaps this "old curmudgeon" misunderstood, or just plain remembers things that never were. It wouldn't be the first time, and I doubt it will be the last. As much as I enjoy my "maturity", there are some things that suck about aging.

---David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 am • # 5 

I think they used to require it at Annapolis, but there are so many other things midshipmen need to read that it probably got dropped a long time ago, like Latin and Greek. USNA is more of an engineering school, anyway. The Bluejacket's Manual is probably what you're thinking of--still required reading for every new sailor, so far as I know. During my career, a good bit of the terminology and skills that were considered critical when I was an ensign were obsolete and virtually non-sensical by the time I retired. The transition from sail to steam was just as pivotal a time, but at least we still carried over much of the non-propulsion naval systems, equipment, and navigational tools. The shift from steam to gas turbines (jet engines), while leaving ships looking much the same on the outside, was much more jarring because it brought along with it automation, electronics, satellite-enabled systems, and mechanical changes that made old terms completely inadequate for running a ship. The next generational leap in naval design will come much quicker and will leave tradition even farther behind, but that's no longer my concern--I'll be chasing fishies with good iron, feathers, and silk.
CC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:58 am • # 6 
Administrator

This sounds like a great read. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep my eye out for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:29 am • # 7 

You've got to know that any fisherman who could design and name a fly the "Funneldun" and is called by his fellows "the Heron" is going to write some good stuff.
CC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 am • # 8 
Administrator

I've been wanting to pick this title up, but I have not got around to purchasing it. I'm currently reading Ed Shenk's Fly Rod Trouting, and I've got some fantasy novels sitting on the shelf that I need to read before I even think about buying anything else at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:32 am • # 9 

I try to read as much as I can from the library (and the NC library system now has ebooks, too), but there are some I just want on my shelf (this is one). Some are just too old or specialized (a lot of fishing books) for the library to carry, in which case Alibris and Amazon are my best friends. I haven't paid full price for a book in years, and can usually find very nice to new condition copies at great prices online.
CC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:45 am • # 10 

For the real feel of a year on an English chalkstream I can't recommend Chalkstream Chronicle highly enough (full disclosure: Neil is a pal of mine, but I bought and loved the book long before I got to know the author!) and I still read the winter grayling fishing chapters at least once a year to get the juices flowing.

Several copies currently available for practically no money at all on abebooks.com Image

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=patterson&sts=t&tn=chalkstream+chronicle&x=0&y=0

Theo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:10 am • # 11 

So, have you seen Nick Lyon's framed "bum" portrait in Neil's bath? If he were ever to sell the place, I wonder what the new owners would make of that!
CC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:03 am • # 12 

cross creek one wrote:
So, have you seen Nick Lyon's framed "bum" portrait in Neil's bath?   
Not yet - in fact I haven't even been up to the Hollow so far, which is strange in a country this small. If anything I know Neil more as a fellow writer than as a fisherman, if that makes sense, but he got a good trout on my river last year (and wrote about it), and I think I need to return the favour Image

Theo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 am • # 13 

The public library here was able to inter-library loan this book for me, so I've had the chance to read it before deciding if I wanted to purchase a copy. The library's copy has since been returned, but a "new" copy now resides on the shelf in my library. I think that is pretty telling of whether I enjoyed the book or not.

Thanks for the recommendation CC.

---David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:32 pm • # 14 
Administrator

I found a nicely discounted copy of this from Golden Witch on ebay and hope to have it in my hands soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:22 am • # 15 

Chalkstream Chronicles is a nice read. Been a while since I last read it,maybe time to read it again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 am • # 16 
Administrator

So far I'm about 30 pages in and am really enjoying it. The book is a very nice diversion for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm • # 17 

I am looking it up. I am thinking I may use the "heron" as a username somewhere too. blu heron got a certain something...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 pm • # 18 

blufloyd, funny you mention Herons. I fish small rough little creeks, almost always I am in the company of a blue heron. Very often hidden in the background I will get a glimpse of the smaller green Heron.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am • # 19 

Theo, that was nice of you to post that link. I have been on a regular binge buying books from abe's. For anyone looking at this post Abe's books is an anglers wonderland.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 am • # 20 

Just got a few books ordered off Abe. I need more books for the library it is overflowing badly.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply