It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 am • # 1 

His latest writing is a fine reading experience, a dive into his philosophical approach to fishing, conservation and life, offering a total escape from all that is bland and troublesome in our lives. I believe I own and have read/re-read all his books.

Note: I have been out of work for a month now but it is not for waste. I have tied flies, fished, visited friend both online and in person or over the phone, read over a dozen books including a fine Stephen Ambrose writing (to America) that I am in the middle of as I write this. I know, soon, I might very well be busy, so busy....for now, I am loving a break, chance to fish, tie flies and read.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 am • # 2 

Amen to that David. John has certainly done a lot for those of us loving small streams and the contemplative life of a fly fisherman. We run into each other occasionally in the grocery store. He's not much into hero worship and is truly humble about his contributions made to so many of us. The books never go out of date or style.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 am • # 3 

This is the first of his books I've read with a 1/4 of it to go, I can't wait to read another. The way he writes makes me feel like I'm out there fishing with him.
Which one should I read next?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 pm • # 4 

VanGoLt. wrote:
This is the first of his books I've read with a 1/4 of it to go, I can't wait to read another. The way he writes makes me feel like I'm out there fishing with him.
Which one should I read next?

All are good. He writes two types of books, one is in story form, the other is instructional. I refer to his instructional books all the time, Fishing Bamboo, Fly Fishing Small Streams and Fly fishing the High Country and of course, Good Flies. As a small stream 'crazy' one of my favorite writings of his is - Fly Fishing Small Streams. You can search used books shops or Evil Bay to gather your collection.

The fun thing about his books with short stories is, you can just pick up a book and read one. It takes only a few minutes. I used to pack one at work and read a story over my lunch hours...it sure picked me up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 pm • # 5 

My favorite books of his are "Fishing Bamboo" & "Flyfishing Small Streams" which is my favorite. One minor thing in small streams was he didn't care for ultralite lines like 2 & 3wts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:19 pm • # 6 

Flickfly wrote:
My favorite books of his are "Fishing Bamboo" & "Flyfishing Small Streams" which is my favorite. One minor thing in small streams was he didn't care for ultralite lines like 2 & 3wts.

No he did not....and let us not hold it against him. We can over look the 1% of his opinion and savor the 99%.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 am • # 7 

I loved this book, as well as all his others. Trout Bum is still my favorite, his books have gotten me through many a midwestern winter.

Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 pm • # 8 

Well, I should add that John is a very practical guy. He prefers bamboo or 4 wt graphite rods. The reason: it could be the **** winds we have here on the Front Range of Colorado. It has been blowing as high as 80-90 mph the last few days. When we think of idylic small peaceful mountain streams or lakes, we also factor in the very real possibility of BIG wind coming along at any time. I so love my 1-2 wts but often a 3-4 wt is more practical for our weather.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:19 am • # 9 

I love his books like to meet the guy sometime. Can't say that about many people now days.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply