It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:12 pm • # 1 

Hi all -

Has anyone picked up this latest from Tom Rosenbauer? It's been very positively reviewed in Fly Rod & Reel (my gift subscription copy from my Stateside uncle just arrived ;) )

Theo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I haven't read it, but I'm interested in it as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 pm • # 3 

I haven't read it... what I read was Trout from Small Streams by Dave Hughes and really liked it a lot, you have to focus on the techniques and not on the UL recommendations. Also notice that when the book was written the UL stuff was around the 4w rods
Maybe the Orvis book is more "modern" and has some UL equipment recommendations in line with what we have around now

If you bite the lure, can you give us your opinion?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:26 am • # 4 

It's an excellent book with great pictures and an informative text. Rosenbauer is an ultralight fisherman and knows his stuff. Definitely recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:35 pm • # 5 
Administrator

willie bob wrote:
It's an excellent book with great pictures and an informative text. Rosenbauer is an ultralight fisherman and knows his stuff. Definitely recommended.

Good to know, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:39 am • # 6 

I picked it up from the Library last week, and have got thru a few chapters.

Since I like to fish the small streams, which is covered in the book...its right up my alley.

So far its a very good book, and would recommend it to anyone looking at fishing small streams, and not going after trophy sized trout.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:54 pm • # 7 

simonuca wrote:
I haven't read it... what I read was Trout from Small Streams by Dave Hughes and really liked it a lot, you have to focus on the techniques and not on the UL recommendations. Also notice that when the book was written the UL stuff was around the 4w rods
Maybe the Orvis book is more "modern" and has some UL equipment recommendations in line with what we have around now

If you bite the lure, can you give us your opinion?

Will do, Simon - I'm waiting till it appears in one of my local UK shops, and will probably pick it up at that point. (A couple of good reviews from Willie Bob and Wichaka in the meantime haven't hurt either!)

Theo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:00 pm • # 8 

I'm interested, too, although I haven't done any serious small stream fishing. I received a $25 store coupon from Orvis and was planning to visit the store this weekend. I hope they have a copy in stock so that I can check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am • # 9 

Got a copy from the library. Thought it was so good, I bought a copy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 pm • # 10 

A library that has outdoor books? Around here the madams that run the places would be afraid you would develop an interest and leave the sight of your mom or worse decide to fish or hunt. blu be impressed, where you located?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 am • # 11 

WA. State

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am • # 12 

I have Hughes' book Reading the Water but I just reserved Rosenbauer's Orvis book on Reading Trout Streams at my local county library. I really want a similar book for lakes. I can't wade or fin around in my Water Master or a float tube until mid April because of hip surgery so I'm hoping that the reading will help put me in a happy place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:36 pm • # 13 

I have read it and enjoyed it. Nice pictures too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm • # 14 

Finally I also get it, I do enjoy it very much... But I think Trout From Small Streams by Dave Hughes is a better one if you don't wanna have both

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm • # 15 

I bought this book for myself and have just finished it. I quite enjoyed it. I liked the format and the pictures. I felt like I was reading the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast.

I have no regrets for purchasing this book. I'll read it several more times in the next few months.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:46 pm • # 16 

I got Hughes book "Reading Trout Water" for Christmas, and it goes more in depth and is what I feel a bit more technical than the Orvis book.
Not as easy reading, but really has some great info in it.

I'd recommend both.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 pm • # 17 

I bought this one immediately after it came out. I'm a huge fan of Tom's no-nonsense, logical advice. Don't always agree with everything he writes or says in his podcasts, but most of it is solid info.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:18 pm • # 18 

I bought it last winter. Read it. Good Book. Matched my early entry into small stream fishing. Pictures also good to show terms: free stone, high graidient, etc. It's one thing to think in your head and another to see it.

I also am a regular listener on the Orvis Podcasts. There are three podcasts on Small Stream fishing I've listened to over and over. I like the podcasts and the book in tandem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 am • # 19 

I also own it and have found it to be a valuable resource. I would suggest that a small stream junkies library would be amiss without it. Right now I'm eyeing the orvis "prospecting trout" book. If its good I'll let ya'll know. cheers.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:07 am • # 20 

I am going to have to check this out!

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply