It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:21 am • # 1 

Saw this book mentioned on another fly fishing forum, and with the comments and reviews on Amazon, figured it was worth a look...so I ordered a used copy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 am • # 2 
Administrator

Should be a good book, Behnke is one of the leading authorities on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 pm • # 3 

The only thing negative I saw about it was that it was missing one species:

amazon review wrote:
This is an incredible book. The illustrations are wonderful. Not just one of every species, but in some case several subspecies as well. It covers all the salmon, trout and char. It even tackles the grayling and the whitefish.

What really bugs me is that it could have been one hundred percent. But it misses just one fish. Just one damned fish.

The book leaves out one fish. The Sheefish or the Inconnu of the Artic. Stenodus leucichthys. While not a fish many people are going to get a chance to fish for, it's still a salmonnid and a pretty good game fish to boot. It's known as the freshwater tarpon. It living proof you don't have to leave North America to fish for an exotic.
I don't know why people insist on referring to some species or another as "the freshwater xxxx". It seams so many people call carp the "freshwater bonefish"...I call them carp, and I love to catch 'em when I'm smart enough to know how to do it intentionally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 am • # 4 

Been reading it...this book is really good. Great reference and/or coffee table book. Species are very well defined; habitat, markings, reproductive norms...pretty pictures*. :lol Not a "how to" fly fishing book, but I didn't expect or want it to be when I ordered it.

A must have for Trout** Aficionados. 8)

*Illustrations

**Salmon, Char, other Salmonids

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply