It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 am • # 1 

Finally was able to get a copy of this offering ...

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 am • # 2 
Administrator

I finished reading this a few weeks ago. Very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:03 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I bought it when it first came out in '97. It's a good book, but a bit dated for me these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm • # 4 

All of Gierach books are good reading, even if you know you might not agree with what he is saying.....of course, we should never go through life completely agreeing with one point of view. I went through the bamboo thing there for a few years and found the book helpful in understanding the stick.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:26 pm • # 5 

I've never fished a bamboo rod...but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy the book. All of his books are good reads, IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:35 am • # 6 

I've read all his books; very relaxed enjoyment reading; my personal favorite is trout bum, which I think was his first; fishing small streams probably a close second-p-

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 am • # 7 

I have a copy of "Trout Bum" next to my recliner.

Another very enjoyable read is anything by Patrick F. McManus.

Along with, "The Old Man and the Boy", by Robert Ruark...those probably deserve their own thread(s).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 pm • # 8 

Didn't realize the copyright was 1997 old school, I was just a pup when it was written :D :D but nevertheless I've never read one of his books that wasn't interesting..

Paul

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:43 pm • # 9 
Administrator

He did a pretty decent job of going over some of the better quality production rods from the old days, and of course all of his writings are very entertaining. I wish he would have went into more detail of some of the older high end makers like Leonard and such. It would have been an awfully thick book though if he would have written a magnum opus bamboo book though.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:47 pm • # 10 

jkurtz7 wrote:
He did a pretty decent job of going over some of the better quality production rods from the old days, and of course all of his writings are very entertaining. I wish he would have went into more detail of some of the older high end makers like Leonard and such. It would have been an awfully thick book though if he would have written a magnum opus bamboo book though.

A better 'magnum opus' bamboo book would be CASTING A SPELL by George Black. I have a copy I can send you to glance over if you want. Just return it when you are done. PM me your address and I will send it to you.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:51 pm • # 11 

DCG wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

A better 'magnum opus' bamboo book would be CASTING A SPELL by George Black. I have a copy I can send you to glance over if you want. Just return it when you are done. PM me your address and I will send it to you.

You know, we ought to start a book club, write your name/address inside the cover so we know whose book it is, and swap some books around.....read them, then forward them or return them. A bit of trust I know. Just PM the tracking of the book. The Winter would have been better but sometimes a bit of Summer reading is nice too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 am • # 12 

I just started reading Trout Bum for the 4th or 5th time and I read chapter 4 (I think) late last night. This is the chapter entitled, "the bass pond" and it is what I consider his finest piece of writing, and one of the finest I've ever read. If you are a fly man and have fished a "bass pond" in recent memory on a late summer afternoon, the description is almost too perfect. It ranks right up there with Hemingway's "big river" as a great essay. Read it and then tell me of a better piece of writing-p-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 am • # 13 

I read 4 or 5 chapters of Trout Bum today. Great book. Read it on the subway going to the hospital and return...took my mind off of the nonsense and back pain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am • # 14 

Very hard to beat Gierach. The Bamboo book is old but still inspires to fish with bamboo most of the time. DR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 pm • # 15 

I think Fishing Bamboo is the only book by Gierach that i didn't care for. I've been building bamboo rods for the last 6 years and found his book to be a bit overly romanced. Its a skill set that takes hours and hours to get competent and I kind of felt like Gierach made the whole process out to me some sort of magic act.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:40 pm • # 16 

Great book!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:28 pm • # 17 

In Gierach's defense Bamboo rods are full of mystic!... Mention the legends like: Leonard, Granger, Green, Payne, even old Winston bamboo rods, people talked in hushed tones, reverence, and often glorify their smoothness and abilities in their hands. It's all about feel and what each angler likes. I have friends who are really into bamboo and fiberglass and have no problems fishing and catching with the best of us. That is what makes them the legends they are, the people who love them, fish them, and exalt their virtues. By the way I respect bamboo rods, they are what truly advanced flyfishing out of the stone age. I have a custom one myself, but prefer modern graphite rods.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:16 pm • # 18 

anyone got the newest Gierach book?my local barnes and noble didn't have it-p-

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:56 pm • # 19 
Administrator

I have all but the last two books, and Where The Brook Trout Are As Long As Your Leg. I need to remedy the situation.

Gene, try Alibris online, I've always managed to get like new used books from them for cheap.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:24 pm • # 20 

anyone know the title of his newest book?-p-
found it,"all fishermen are liars"

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply