It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: W.D.Wetherell
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 pm • # 1 

Just finished reading Yellowstone Autumn by Mr. Wetherell. It's a great read about a guy spending three weeks in the park to fly fish and sort through life changes in late middle age. Thoughtfully written with wisdom and the beauty of Yellowstone. Highly recommended.

John

Post subject: Re: W.D.Wetherell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:02 pm • # 2 

I have not read Yellowstone Autumn, but I'm not surprised that you found it worthwhile. Weatherell's Vermont River is one of the very best fly fishing related books ever, in my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:03 pm • # 3 

Have to agree. Wetherell is a good fly fishing writer. Got a couple of his books, and re-read them periodically.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:40 am • # 4 

runcible wrote:
I have not read Yellowstone Autumn, but I'm not surprised that you found it worthwhile. Weatherell's Vermont River is one of the very best fly fishing related books ever, in my humble opinion.

Walter is a good writer and a good guy. "Vermont River" is a well written book, but the river is not the trout river it once was and we have discussed the how and why. I have lived on the Tabor Branch of the river for over 20 years, thus my username. Sadly, the Tabor Branch has been overfished to the point of no return.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:26 am • # 5 

tabornatives wrote:
I have lived on the Tabor Branch of the river for over 20 years, thus my username. Sadly, the Tabor Branch has been overfished to the point of no return.

That would be hard to witness.. I feel for you there.

I read Vermont River several years ago and enjoyed it. Very rich style of writing, I remember many lines that would make great quotes. Will be on the lookout for
Yellowstone Autumn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:31 pm • # 6 

Wetherell is a writer who fishes, as opposed to a fisher that writes. Unfortunately, the literature is dominated by the latter. There's a big difference in being able to find universal themes and wordsmithing. Vermont River manages to navigate its theme so it is accessible to nonfishers as well. A beautiful book.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:52 pm • # 7 

Never heard of this gentleman which is my loss, but soon to be remedied. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:03 pm • # 8 

Vermont River was the first book in a trilogy. Upland Stream and One River More were the others, and they were just as good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:34 am • # 9 

jcbff:
Ah.. I have the last two; didn't realize it was a trilogy, and reread them from time to time. Thanks for the hint for a Christmas present for myself!

Eastprong: You make an important distinction (re fishermen vs. writers). I have a relatively modest fishing library, and I can tell you that the books by the latter are the ones that get re-read.
Brent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:12 pm • # 10 

I'm not smart enough to know the difference-p-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:54 pm • # 11 

Based upon this post, I picked up Yellowstone Autumn over the weekend and am enjoying the book immensely. While still several years junior to Mr. Wetherell at the time of his writing, I find the book easy to relate to and his observations spot on.

Furthermore, I couldn't agree more wheezeburnt and eastprong. It is a nice change of pace, reading a writer that fishes; as opposed to a fisherman that writes. His words create such a visual imagery, they allow one a brief respite from the now, providing a chance to escape, to be a fugitive from the present, and stowaway inside his story.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:07 am • # 12 

I am going to have to check this out!

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply