It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Winter Trout
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:54 pm • # 1 

Hello all,

I'm somewhat new to fly fishing for trout. I've been using my Cabelas Prestige 3 wt. for bluegill for the last couple of years, but I'm trying to better my technique when it comes to trout fishing. Can anyone recommend a good setup for winter trout? I'm in SC, and the steams I fish have some nice pools that probably range from 5-8 or 9 ft. I know that I need to get my fly down more, but I guess I'm a bit confused about the setup. Should I be using some split shot and a strike indicator, and if so, can anyone recommend what type? Really, any advice would appreciated.

I'm hope to start contributing to this forum soon!

Post subject: Re: Winter Trout
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 am • # 2 

If you tie your own flies, start using Tungsten beads. That will help your flies get down much faster. Don't be afraid to try your existing rod for trout. I use my 3wt all the time on rivers. Depends on your fishery of course, but don't be afraid to try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:16 am • # 3 

I've alway used either a dry double dropper or an indicator with a double nymph rig. Add a little split shot if needed. For me, it's tougher and I get some nasty tangles the more hardware i add to my line, especially on the ultralight rods.
I tried "swinging wet flies" this winter and had success. This might work for you and to me is a more pleasant way to fish. http://midcurrent.com/techniques/beyond-the-swing/. You could use a sinking leader to give you some depth if the wet fly isn't where you want it in the water column.
Finally, try a wooly bugger or some other critter pattern. You can swing them or fish them where you suspect the trout are lying.
Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:39 am • # 4 

Where is sc are you. I'm in sc as well. my father and I have had decent success with nymphs under an indicator. I usually use a split shot up the line a ways to get it down. When I add weight I'm not really casting anymore. Maybe a roll cast, use the water to load the rod, or just a lob to get it all back up stream.

Winter fishing is tough and the fish are pretty picky from what I've seen. Some days are better than others. I've had many no fish days and one fish days. It's a bit frustrating at times. But a good time on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:16 pm • # 5 

My go to winter setup is a san juan worm followed by a zebra midge. The san juan attracts attention as well as gets the more obvious eats. All under an indicator with split to get it down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:53 pm • # 6 

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to try out the dropper rig or something, and maybe go with some fluorocarbon leader. I do tie my own flies (or attempt to) but never considered using Tungsten because of the price. Will have to try that out though.

My concern with split shot is that I am going to feel like I'm not really casting anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 pm • # 7 

ponycarman wrote:
Where is sc are you. I'm in sc as well. my father and I have had decent success with nymphs under an indicator. I usually use a split shot up the line a ways to get it down. When I add weight I'm not really casting anymore. Maybe a roll cast, use the water to load the rod, or just a lob to get it all back up stream.

Winter fishing is tough and the fish are pretty picky from what I've seen. Some days are better than others. I've had many no fish days and one fish days. It's a bit frustrating at times. But a good time on the water.

I'm also in the upstate, near Clemson. Mostly fish the Chattooga and Eastatoe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:44 am • # 8 

idratherbefishin wrote:
...I do tie my own flies (or attempt to) but never considered using Tungsten because of the price....

Try a site called 'CanadianLLama.com'. They sponsor another forums that I'm on and their customer service is second only to their prices. I've weighed their beads and they are high quality tungsten.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:43 am • # 9 

Not sure where you're located but here is a place in the USA that I use. Their prices are for packages of 100 beads.

http://www.riplipsfishing.com/store/tun ... ing-beads/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:37 am • # 10 

Joe C wrote:
Not sure where you're located but here is a place in the USA that I use. Their prices are for packages of 100 beads.

http://www.riplipsfishing.com/store/tun ... ing-beads/

Thanks. I'm in SC, but I just noticed your location. I used to live in Southwick, MA.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:34 pm • # 11 

Small world. You should be close to the western NC Smokies all those great rivers with delayed harvest regs. I have fished the Davidson in May but heard it was a super winter trout river.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:56 am • # 12 

Your pretty close to me. I am in Easley. Haven't made it to those streams but would like to. Been primarily fishing the middle and south saluda. Mainly for convenience.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:00 am • # 13 

ponycarman wrote:
Your pretty close to me. I am in Easley. Haven't made it to those streams but would like to. Been primarily fishing the middle and south saluda. Mainly for convenience.

Oh yeah. Minutes from Easley.

You have much luck on the Saluda?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 am • # 14 

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Some days we are very successful. And others we come up empty handed or one catch. My best yet was a 17in rainbow. Huge for that stream. Must of caught 8 or more fish that day. Thought that was pretty good.

Been wanting to try some others streams but the convenience keeps me going back lol. It's about a 20 min ride for me to the water.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:58 am • # 15 

idratherbefishin wrote:
maybe go with some fluorocarbon leader. I do tie my own flies (or attempt to)
My concern with split shot is that I am going to feel like I'm not really casting anymore.

Fishing and casting ultra light lines and a deep sunk fly is an area where available micro gains should be combined into a collective total. I don't know your water which will obviously dictate a lot.

Easiest first step is to use way smaller flies and leader / tippit diameters. Flourocarbon sinks plus as a rule is a bit stiffer than mono helping to turn over the cast. A little longer tippit section than normal will help, whatever you can manage without wind knot issues.

Look at fly size vs hook.. not necessarily the same thing.. Very possible to tie a smaller fly on a bigger hook, ie a Sz 16 fly on a 14 or even #12 hook. Use of heavier wire hooks goes a long way. Keep the fly sparse yet with movement.. light collar of soft hackle, philo plume, ostrich herl, etc. Beads of any material obviously a huge contributor but going to large can create balance issues. I'd rather pinch on a micro shot above the fly (there is some pretty small/fine split shot available) Once you have a tippit knot in place it's a natural junction point to place the shot. A little heavier material above the knot plus it keeps your shot from sliding down the leader. Or use a blood knot deliberately leaving one tag and place your shot on it.

It's a fun interesting problem to tackle. Best of luck.. B

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply