It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:24 pm • # 1 

The "normal" method for fishing dry flies is supposed to be upstream at a 45 degree angle. That way you can control the drag and not spook the fish with your line. I've read a bunch of articles that emphasize the importance of eliminating drag. I just read a book by Joe Humphries and he even talks about eliminating micro drag! He thinks you need to put slack in your tippet to avoid micro drag. He talks about adjusting your tippet length until you get the right amount of slack in the tippet. Tippet that is too short will lay in a straight line. Too long and it will collapse in a pile. Just right and it lays in a snake pattern on the water.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it might be better to go with a direct upstream cast when using ultralight equipment, especially a short rod since you can't hold your line off the water. The disadvantage would be that you're casting your flyline over the fish, but if it's ultralight line, I'm thinking it might not be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:42 pm • # 2 

Joe Humphries produced a video concerning this very thing you ask, I found the video very informative and made a lot of sense. As I do not fish for trout much my only advice would be to seeif you can locate the video.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:34 pm • # 3 

linecaster wrote:
Joe Humphries produced a video concerning this very thing you ask, I found the video very informative and made a lot of sense. As I do not fish for trout much my only advice would be to seeif you can locate the video.

Do any of these look familiar?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... reys+trout

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:18 pm • # 4 

I do not see the one that I was thinking of but this one will probably cover what you wanted to know.
The DVd's I watched were in the 1990's this one is dated later but may be a remix.

THE DRY FLY and the TOP Water Game (Tutorial DVD)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:17 am • # 5 

Personally, I'm not fast enough to keep line from piling up and tangling around my legs, so even if lining the fish weren't a problem with direct upstream presentations, I would avoid them whenever possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:12 pm • # 6 

Anytime the flyline goes directly over the trout it IS a problem ultralight or not. When fishing for the fussy limestone browns I fish for I take Joe's advice and make my tippet as long as I can without it falling to the water in a pile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:49 am • # 7 

linecaster wrote:
I do not see the one that I was thinking of but this one will probably cover what you wanted to know.
The DVd's I watched were in the 1990's this one is dated later but may be a remix.

THE DRY FLY and the TOP Water Game (Tutorial DVD)

I'll probably order several of them. He's got some really good, advanced information in his videos. The only problem is that he's not an advocate of ultralight. He recommends 6wt for fishing small streams. And he likes to pile on the weights when nymphing. For me, I'd rather use a spinning rod if I'm going to be using a lot of weight. I'm using a 6' 2wt which is one reason I'm trying the direct upstream technique. With a short rod I feel like I need to focus on techniques where your line is "on the water" since I can't really high stick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:58 am • # 8 

Cross Creek wrote:
Personally, I'm not fast enough to keep line from piling up and tangling around my legs, so even if lining the fish weren't a problem with direct upstream presentations, I would avoid them whenever possible.

What I've been doing is lifting the rod as the line comes towards me and then roll casting it back upstream. So I'm using a fixed line length, not stripping it in. The really crazy part is that I've been trying to set the hook with the forward roll cast motion if I get a strike towards the end of the drift. I just started trying this, I don't know if it'll work. The problem is that you end up with a lot of slack after you set the hook with the roll cast. Also it's counter-intuitive to set the hook by pushing your rod forward!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:17 pm • # 9 

Even though the "normal" way of fishing dry flies is at a 45 degree angle upstream, in the real world, particularly on pretty small streams, there often isn't enough stream width available to manage 45 degrees unless the cast is really short. You can still avoid "lining" the fish when casting directly upstream by making increaingly longer casts as you work upstream. Also, with dry flies, drag becomes apparent by watching the fly. When it starts to drag, it makes a V wake, and then it's time to pick it up for a new cast. And it is important to experiment with leaders. That's one reason that it's good to make your own, whether by furling or tying tapered (stepped down) leaders out of different diameters of monofilament.

Regarding the idea of roll casting, I often use a roll-cast pick-up to initiate a new cast after working out a cast. That is also a good way to pick up the line for a new cast when fishing wets or nymphs. It's surprising how many fish end up hooking themselves when the fly comes up at the beginning of a roll cast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:32 pm • # 10 

PampasPete wrote:
Even though the "normal" way of fishing dry flies is at a 45 degree angle upstream, in the real world, particularly on pretty small streams, there often isn't enough stream width available to manage 45 degrees unless the cast is really short. You can still avoid "lining" the fish when casting directly upstream by making increaingly longer casts as you work upstream. Also, with dry flies, drag becomes apparent by watching the fly. When it starts to drag, it makes a V wake, and then it's time to pick it up for a new cast. And it is important to experiment with leaders. That's one reason that it's good to make your own, whether by furling or tying tapered (stepped down) leaders out of different diameters of monofilament.

Regarding the idea of roll casting, I often use a roll-cast pick-up to initiate a new cast after working out a cast. That is also a good way to pick up the line for a new cast when fishing wets or nymphs. It's surprising how many fish end up hooking themselves when the fly comes up at the beginning of a roll cast.

I fish very small bushy streams so that's especially true for me. Also any hope of making a full cast is going to be when fishing directly upstream in a small bushy stream. I was trying furled leaders but I didn't like them because they seem to tangle easier, are more visible and don't float which I don't understand why. I know the uni-thread ones don't float but then I tried a blue sky leader, which I assumed was nylon, and it didn't float either. Right now I'm using a normal premade tapered leader, but I'm going to try making my own.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:18 pm • # 11 

If your furled leader is sinking, before you get it wet rub mucilin into it - it'll float like a cork for quite awhile. I've read his writings and Humphries is undoubtedly a better fly fisher than me. But for me, in the real world, the "ideal" leader is totally dependent on conditions and size of fly. I often change flies and encounter different conditions in a day of fishing. I'm simply not going to change leaders repeatedly during the day so I do like most and use a compromise leader and change tippets as needed. If I know I'm going to streamer fish, I'll choose a heavier, shorter leader for that purpose. I don't like casting directly upstream but I will if conditions don't allow any other choice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:44 am • # 12 

madison320 wrote, "Also it's counter-intuitive to set the hook by pushing your rod forward!"

I recall as a kid, fishing mostly small streams for trout, reading somewhere that whipping the rod tip forward would result in a quicker hookset with a dry fly. Perhaps my implementation of the technique was flawed. It never worked for me. I'm pretty much a strip-set guy now, but most of my fish are reds, with some specks and the occasional flounder thrown in. Not sure if the strip-set and light tippets would be a good combination.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:21 pm • # 13 

I usually work upstream and don't move my position, sometimes its directly upstream, sometimes at an angle. I spook more fish by my movement than with the fly line. I've been leaning towards significantly longer leaders to help this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:36 pm • # 14 

I think I'm in the minority - but I find myself often fishing *downstream* more often than up. When fishing dries I try to throw slack into the cast - easy enough to do, after you do your forward stroke on an aerialized cast, wiggle the rod a bit. That will throw S curves into the line and tippet. You can then feed line be throwing small mends in.

Also stalking into the best position possible will help. Fishing directly upstream is something I try not to do - unless I'm fishing with a fixed, short amount of line out and casting into bubbly water at a plunge, where the line, rod, and myself will be masked by the cloud of bubbles. All I want the fish to see is the fly. On small waters, there's a lot more hiking and positioning done than actual casting it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:38 pm • # 15 

mmckenzie wrote:
I think I'm in the minority - but I find myself often fishing *downstream* more often than up. When fishing dries I try to throw slack into the cast - easy enough to do, after you do your forward stroke on an aerialized cast, wiggle the rod a bit. That will throw S curves into the line and tippet. You can then feed line be throwing small mends in.

Also stalking into the best position possible will help.

Fishing downstream with a dry fly isn't exactly in line with conventional wisdom, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It certainly does let fish see the fly before the line and even most of the leader. And what you have described makes for a good, drag-free presentation.

A downside of dry-fly fishing downstream is that the fly tends to get waterlogged sooner. Another thing to consider is that while drag-free presentation is usually the ideal, it isn't always the best option. When adult midges, caddis, and stoneflies are abundant on the water, one can sometimes make an appropriate fly deliberately drag and skitter across the surface, just as it gets to where a fish has been rising or is suspected to be, with exciting results. A couple of good flies for this are the old bivisble or a spider tied on a dry-fly hook. With the latter, even if it does sink, it's not so different from a soft-hackle wet fly.

Just a couple more thoughts on the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:27 pm • # 16 

There was an article in Fly Tier mag. about 20+ years ago that got into drag and tippet size.
I went out and tested it...you couldn't catch a trout in the area I fished unless you used a 12' + leader and 2lb tippets

We caught Grasshoppers and threaded them with 50 lb mono with about 4" sticking out each side and tossed them in the river, they wouldn't make it 20-30 yards without being taking.

It's not about the tippet size it's about natural fee floating no drag presentation.

That's my opinion anyways

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:49 pm • # 17 

MikeW wrote:
There was an article in Fly Tier mag. about 20+ years ago that got into drag and tippet size.
I went out and tested it...you couldn't catch a trout in the area I fished unless you used a 12' + leader and 2lb tippets

We caught Grasshoppers and threaded them with 50 lb mono with about 4" sticking out each side and tossed them in the river, they wouldn't make it 20-30 yards without being taking.

It's not about the tippet size it's about natural fee floating no drag presentation.

That's my opinion anyways

That seems like a very interesting experiment and results. There must be a connection between your two observations. A long leader with a light tippet can help a lot in avoiding drag. Can you imagine avoiding drag with a 50-pound test tippet on your leader, not to mention the size of the hooks on your dry flies?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:52 am • # 18 

Perhaps it's not diameter and length of tippet that matter so much as it's stiffness (or lack thereof) and inherent flotation, plus the currents you are casting over. Supple tippets with slack line casts and short leaders may work fine, where longer, stiffer leaders won't. Does the tippet sit in coils breaking the surface, does it sit in the film, does it sink? The fly you're fishing has a lot to do with it too. Lots of dynamics that go into getting a drag free drift.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:30 am • # 19 

I believe a lot of it is a "When in Rome thing.". When you hit a stream where most folks work upstream nothing could be more rude than floating thru or wading downstream swinging streamers and soft hackles. If you enjoy assigned beats or something I suppose you can do whatever suits your fancy. Most of the time I avoided busy water when possible. Highly recommend you focus more on your drift and presentation and less on casting. You'll hookup more often.

Working stockers on the lake shore is a different game and stockers in general are. Go for wild fish and learn to fool them. Don't concern yourself so much with their size. Seek where you can learn to fool dark fish without par marks. Their smart and when you can consistently fool them you are ready to move to another level.

Hang in there. Read the Ring of the Rise and Caddis Flies. Ponder these as you work you dry fly and dry with dropper offerings. It will pay off.

Kindest regards,

Clay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:59 am • # 20 

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that you should use as much tippet as you possibly can cast comfortably given the conditions... this will vary according to wind, fly size, and angler casting ability. As far as lining fish is concerned, I've never been overly concerned with that on all but the clearest, calmest spring creeks. That's always worked for me... others mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply