It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sighters
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:43 pm • # 1 

I just read article on Midcurrent about Sighters. I'm not familiar with them, but I guess I get the gist of them? But, are they just for nymphing or does anyone use them for a point of reference to find that size 20 dry fly that I can't see anymore?

I would think they might spook a trout, or they might get a strike by some fish, like some strike indicators do. I guess if you can't see the fly it doesn't matter much.

Post subject: Re: Sighters
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:26 pm • # 2 

I use them, mostly for nymphing, but also as a bite detector for small dries and emergers. You can hold them off the water, or grease and float them for sensitive bite detection. Usually located at least 2-3' from fly to avoid spooking/refusals. Never had a fish swipe at it like other floating indicators. I even use them on sunfish when they get super finicky in winter with their subtle taste-testing nibbles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:17 pm • # 3 

When nymphing, I have used a 10 inch or so section of the bright red Amnesia mono to aid in the bite detection. Ive never used one for fishing dry flies, but maybe I should.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:09 pm • # 4 

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a try. Something small enough so not to spook anyone, but bright enough so maybe I can find my dry fly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:56 pm • # 5 

Thicker diameters are more visible, thinner less so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:39 am • # 6 

Harry Murray, Edinburg, VA, has been selling 1" pieces of orange scoreless flyline for years. I like them when fishing for panfish. I've not had a lot of success with them while fishing for trout. I think they work better in ponds and lake, because the current pulls these short pieces under, giving a false indications. The longer, thicker, bigger items may overcome some of these problems. But, talented trout will likely "...learn" to notice these non-natural things floating toward them.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply