It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:12 am • # 1 

When the fishes becomes very selective, because you are fishing in a catch and release zone very haunted or because you are fishing very selective fishes, like chubs for example, sometimes you need use tippet very fine, even 7x or 8x.
But this create enormous problems if you are fishing with normal rods, in particular with fast rods: the probability to brake the tippet are very very high.
In addition to avoid to brake the tippet often you are forced to pander the fish and never force it and this means long times to retrieve and recovery (I hope "recovery" is the correct word) it and when it will arrive to the net it's so tired and so full of lactic acid that, if you release it, it has more probabilities to die.
How avoid this?

The principal reason because a thin tippet is broken is that the other equipment is not proportionate to the tippet: the line is rigid and the rod is too rigid for the tippet.

There are 2 way then to contrast this problem: use ultralight rods and slow rods, who usually are so thin or so parabolic to be sufficiently elastic to preserve the tippet;
or copy who fish carps. Here in Italy and in Europe the competition anglers fish big fishes, like carps, with very rigid rods (roubasienne) without reel and using very thin tippets, but to contrast their force and to have faster recoveries they put between the rod and the line rubber bands highly extensible (even 700%) who can be chosen in different sizes.
(I use them when I fish with maggots big fishes, like barbels or carps, using rigid rods and braided lines with fine tippets.)

When you decide to fish with very fine tippets and your rod is not sufficiently elastic you can put a piece of roubasienne rubber line between the line and the leader and I'm sure that will solve the problem and consent a lot faster recoveries.

Like these for example:
https://www.pescaloccasione.it/trabucco ... -accessori

But anyway using the correct rod use fine tippets is not a problem and even the recovery can be pretty fast.

Last edited by zigo on Fri May 27, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:47 pm • # 2 

Excellent post Zigo. Like to hear about fishing in places other than where I fish.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:41 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the post! A while back there was an informative thread on a very similar topic.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1442&view=unread#unread

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply