It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:32 am • # 1 

The basis of my question comes from the assumption that bright, colored floating line will spook fish in shallow water. This is due to my spin fishing background where light, basically invisible line, is used to make long casts with not much worry of fish seeing the line.

Now, if I'm fly fishing a lake and want to cover some water in front of me, do I start with shorter casts and work my way out further, hoping fish don't get spooked by line? Or do I just make the longer cast and strip line in, hoping fish don't get spooked by the fly line?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:14 am • # 2 

What type of fish are you chasing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:47 am • # 3 

"Fish your feet first" is a pretty good practice. In other words, start with shorter casts.

But for what it's worth, I've caught a lot of bass, yellow perch, etc. on reasonably shallow lakes after casting over them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:29 pm • # 4 

I'd mainly be fishing bass, crappie, bluegill and whatever else likes to hit wooly buggers and poppers. Not sure If i'll intentionally target other fish like carp but I understand carp are more easily spooked so casting presentation would to be more precise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:49 pm • # 5 

I have bone it both ways, bass and Blue Gills are not too worried about a long distance cast. Many a time after a long cast I catch the fish close in, you never can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:31 pm • # 6 

I use the green, beige and red lines and I have never had a problem catching bluegill, bass, crappie, sandies, catfish or stripers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 am • # 7 

Bass and bluegill are not too spooky where I fish.......fly line doesn't seem to spook them.Trout on the other hand.......different story.....All that being said I still use a long tapered leader for all of them.I look for a few moments before I cast to make sure a big bass isn't sitting an inch deep below the surface waiting on bugs to fall out of a tree( i fish cypress trees) .Would hate to catch a 3'' bream and scare off a 3# bass.My thoughts...good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:18 am • # 8 

I don't use anything but clear lines when fishing stillwater.
Airflo Ridge Tactical clear floating comes all the way down to a 3wt.
Not inexpensive.
Totally worth the money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:18 pm • # 9 

If you are fishing from a kayak or boat stealth helps tremendously. I bass fish with a friend of mine out of his bass boat.....he is using a baitcaster with huge lures....I'm using ultralight fly rod and #12 and 14 patterns .I can sightcast to fish without spooking everything in the water.....I can hear his lures slap the water....we both catch fish.But I can do much better when I am solo .If I am fishing by myself I "hunt" fish. I keep the noise and movements down as much as possible. Like previous poster said "fish your feet" is essential. I can stay in one spot for 30 minutes and catch multiple fish.....or I could charge in maybe catch the one big fish that is in the area . I like to catch as many as possible from the same location .Catching one 3 lb bass is fun,but catching 3 or 4 1-1/2lb bass is even more fun to me. You have a great advantage in flyfishing stillwater.....smaller patterns,more lifelike animation ,multiple fish from same area. We are using flies that most bass and bream see on a daily basis as a food source.We may not always catch the biggest most aggressive fish but we can most always catch several fish that would never chase down a crankbait.And my favorite thing.....we can fish where no one else can get a big bass boat and drop that #12 stimulator on the fishes nose. Good luck!

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply