It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: cold water crappie/bass
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:23 pm • # 1 

The lake temp is dropping and fish are moving to deeper water.....what techniques do yall use to fish deeper water ( 10-16 feet) and still use UL fly rod set ups? I hate to break out the UL spinning rigs if I can still use my 0 weight....took one of my UL spin rods but just can't seem to put my fly rod down :)
Same time last year I could still find a few nice fish in shallower water but this year they are really scattered around.Sunday I put 5 bass in the kayak but it took 3 hours to do it.Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:52 pm • # 2 

Was hoping somone would post a response. The only time I get 10' down is with an intermediate sinking line plus a sinking polyleader. Have that for my 5 wt and use it fishing from a boat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:42 pm • # 3 

Knotty if you really have to go deep a fast sinker will be the ticket. Some recommend Teeny lines but I have had no experience with them. OPST Commando head with a fast sinking tip and fluorocarbon leader maybe your answer too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:07 pm • # 4 

Knotty and Linecaster i use a sinktip for my 8 weight ...what should i be looking for for my 3 weights and smaller....brand,style seller etc. regarding sinktips.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm • # 5 

I make my own from an old fast sink line that I had.
You can also buy sink leaders can't think of the brand name right now. I got mine from Cabelas. You can get variable sink rates.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:12 pm • # 6 

In the winter I have two fishing approaches. During daylight hours I fish an indicator with a sinking fly such as a wolly or micro jig; this way my fly stays at the depth of my
leader at all times. At night I've found, at least where I fish, the bass come in shallow around concrete bridges and can be caught after dark. These are Texas winters and it doesn't get below 32 degrees very often. One year we had a couple of weeks of cold weather and I started fishing in a river below a dam and that was productive for crappie and an occassional hybrid.
I started experimenting with sink tips last year during the winter and didn't enjoy fishing them as much as a pure floating line.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:57 pm • # 7 

I can cast a Teeny BS 100 with both my Echo II 2 weight and all of my 3 weights. Sinks pretty quickly and should get your fly down there. I find the Teeney lines are easier to cast than classic sink tips, for the most part. The BS stands for Basic Sink, more line a shooting head line.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:16 am • # 8 

Might have to try that sinktip from Teeny.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 pm • # 9 

Try using a 15 foot level leader, takes getting used to but I have used this and have seen others use this with good success.

Mark V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 pm • # 10 

WooHoo!! The fish are moving back into the shallow water again. Thanks for all the suggestions....I finally gave up on fishing the deeper water and waited (impatiently) for them to move back closer to the bank. I need to post some pics i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:06 pm • # 11 

You could try Drop Shotting Rigs with the fly rod.

Many years ago we had the Airflo USA rep. office nearby,, the owner would go to the river with their tungsten putty on the end of leader and use 2 flies with rather long mono leader to dredge the bottom.

Heavy weight on tip of leader = split shot or any type of weight,,, flies as droppers with long leader will get down very quickly.
I sometimes use this in deep pools for smallmouth.

Will take some modification to casting technique as this is not a conventional over head casting rig.
Spey casting make this presentation very easy.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 pm • # 12 

Dropshotting would probably work well w/ my 3 wt bvk czech rod. At 10' it allows for the longer leader. But its tough to use that out of my kayak for some reason it gets caught on everything or i find myself getting to close to cypress trees . Cypress trees and long rods = warranty repair. I'm too clumsy I guess. Would work great from the bank though. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply