It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:52 pm • # 1 

I need a new tackle bag for light day to day fishing needs and wondering what you guys like and use. I can't decide between all the different options from sling bags to hip packs to chest packs.

Every situation and trip is different and having different setups is useful. For my light setup it's a roll of tippet and a few flies pre-tied up on foam spools tossed in the pocket of my waders with nippers and forceps clipped to me. On the heavy side I've got my 30L dry pack for full day outings. I can pack extra clothes, water food, extra fly boxes, sink tips, leader, etc and wade through the water with it or leave it sit in the rain all day. If I get to a spot I'm going to fish I'll leave the pack on shore and just take my lightweight setup tossing a few things in my wader pockets.

I need a small bag for this spring/summer where I don't need extra layers, or more than a bar of food. I plan to wear it with and without my waders. I'd like it to hold my nippers and forceps, a few spools of tippet, maybe a couple small fly boxes and a second reel, car keys, wallet and phone. So a small tackle bag that would be my "GO" bag. Grab my rod and that small bag and run to the lake, jump in the car and hit up the river, whatever. It would have everything I'd need and could hold just a bit of stuff. Right now the old camera bag I was using is too small and only good for my Tenkara stuff which is pretty much just a spool of tippet, extra lines and Kebari.

What do you guys have and use?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:21 pm • # 2 

Try a Fishpond Arroyo around your waist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:26 pm • # 3 

I use the Cabela's bag and it can be both carried on the waist or slung on the shoulder; I do both at different times. It cost me only $25 on sale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:11 am • # 4 

Small cam cases. Small video game cases. Worn either sling or on a belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:59 am • # 5 

This might be an option.
http://www.acecamp.com/easy-backpack/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:58 am • # 6 

My wife uses a fanny pack style that has 2 water bottle holders and can be worn on waiste or slung on shoulder....$10 walmart........not waterproof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 pm • # 7 

All good ideas. I think I'm going to wait for now and see how things pan out this summer.

My buddy and I have a few plans to walk a couple of small rivers. Basically spend the day and cover as much ground top down as we can. See if we can't find any hot spots and learn the areas we can walk and areas we have to bushwack. I'll probably take my pack or just load up my pockets but I'm really interested in something smaller for sure. Maybe one of the shoulder/waist packs would be a good start.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:13 am • # 8 

For me a fishing vest has been the answer. Synthetic, not traditional cotton. Fanny packs were fine for tenkara but for western fly fishing I need more storage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:18 pm • # 9 

I love my Orvis sling pack. 6 of the slim fly boxes, extra spool for the reel, DSL camera, tippet post, leader wallet, all the tools that I have, pill bottle of strike indicators, split shot, 24oz insulated water bottle, net it I decide to carry it with room to spare for a couple cliffbars or lunch. And that's the small one, not the guide sling pack. I have tried almost all the waist packs, chest packs etc... and have gone back to the Orvis. Have never really liked vests, but for extended trips I have a knock off fishpond tech vest/ backpack that will carry anything you want.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:30 am • # 10 

I have three options.

Hike in. Take my Kelty Red Wing 50 L back back. I use Sea to Summit lightweight 20 L storage bags for my waders and boots. I can carry an extra rod that way and hand the net on back. I use the lanyard for equipment.

Walk to stream from car. My Simms sling pack allows me to carry some lunch and a drink.

Ultra Light weight. My newly discovered option is to clip my camera on a belt loop. Use my PFG Columbia shirt and thread 4 spools of tippet through the pocket. I clipped on hemostats and a nipper in my waders pocket and took a small box of flies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:28 pm • # 11 

For light duty - I use a cheap fanny pack I picked up at some big box 10 or 15 years back - though I find myself borrowing my wife's Wright & McGill fanny pack a lot more - it has a wide, padded waist belt (which means I can forego a wader belt if I want) and it has two compartments with little plastic axles to mount tippet spools on. It's got one main zippered compartment that will fit a large fly box or two small fly boxes, or your wallet & a camera or similarly sized items, it has one of the double ended curly cord retractor's to attach nippers and foreceps on, and the small front compartment with the tippet holders also has a fly drying / fly storage patch. Very comfortable to fish with all day - has two mesh water bottle holders on either side and came with two metal water bottles as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:10 pm • # 12 

keiths wrote:
Try a Fishpond Arroyo around your waist.
This is a good choice as is the Fishpond Flint Hills Lumbar pack that I use. Fishpond makes quality stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:43 am • # 13 

When I go light in small streams I really like the Rising Flask Pack...comes with a tippet spool holder and 2 integrated retractors and 2 floatant holders. Plenty of room for a couple fly boxes, plus all the other essentials.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:19 pm • # 14 

Blackrock,
I used a vest for years but three seasons ago I started using a sling pack, it is by far the best option for me. It sits higher that a fanny pack as a height challenged individual I was always soaking my stuff with a fanny pack. Vest was just getting too heavy. I have fly insecurity syndrome so I usually carry a small fly shop worth of flies. For quick trips or small stream forest fishing I use a fishpond summit sling pack well organised and compact enough to not get in the way while fishing or hiking. for full day/ big water trips I have an Umpqua sling pack that I can fit everything I used to fit in my Simms guide vest plus some. It sits great on your shoulders and weight is not felt nearly as much as with a vest. hope this helps

steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:07 pm • # 15 

Well, I "re-organized" my fishing stuff and hit up the river this past weekend.

I brought my 30L dry pack but swapped everything to a smaller camera bag. So I've got a tiny bag I can fit a roll of tippet, a few leaders (for Tenkara and my 1wt) and a small fly box. I've also got my nippers and forceps clipped on along with a couple floats and lead weights tossed in. It's really small and just barely fits that stuff, but I can clip it to my waders if I want to.

Seeing as it's still winter and temps were in the mid 30's I brought my bigger pack for extra layers and to keep things dry since it rained most of the day. Difference being that I've got one small bag that has enough room to carry everything while I'm actually in the river. In my big pack I had an extra reel and more tippet plus more flies.

I'm thinking for this summer though I'm just going to have to make my own lighter weight mini carrier. I'm going to build myself a packraft with my buddy so I want just a super tiny bag that keeps enough for on the go. I found a really nice 12L dry pack from Osprey for keeping other stuff dry and I may just make my own bag to fit my needs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:46 pm • # 16 

The Rising Shot Pack looks interesting, just sent them an email for the of the weight of the pack. Was looking at the Zimmerbuilt Tenkara mini and micro packs, very light weight. For backpacking am trying to stay under 20oz for all fishing gear.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 pm • # 17 

Wow, they got right back to me, 4oz on the shot pack sweet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 pm • # 18 

My first several years of flyfishing, I used a vest, but as I got older my shoulders and neck began to hurt. Tried waist packs, but when wading, it sometimes got wet. Tried chest pack, but stuck out so far I couldn't see where I was stepping without bending forward. I have done best with sling bags. I have a Fishpond traditional style sling bag that I use mostly for warm water fishing, as it is rather voluminous and will hold several large fly boxes and all the other gear I need. I recently purchased a Darcy Creek sling pack from Smith Fly for my trout fishing. This bag has straps that can be moved and hooked up to different spots on the bag, allowing it to be worn over either shoulder, used as a backpack; or as a waist pack. The bag is just about the right size to carry a couple of medium and a couple of smaller fly boxes; maybe a sandwich or other snacks, and even has a concealed pocket on the other side for concealed carry if needed. It has MOLLE loops to which other small pouches can be attached. Smith Fly asks $79.99 for this pack, which is what I paid. However, I discovered the other day while browsing on Amazon that this same bag, known as the SUNVP Tactical Military sling bag (or other words to that effect) can be had for about $21.00. This appears to be exactly the same bag, with the only difference being that the one on Amazon does not come with a tippet holder or a fly patch. I wish I had looked at Amazon first, but I'm still pretty happy with the Smith Fly bag.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 am • # 19 

I just picked up this one:

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/l ... tchel/2126

I usually use a Fishpond Wasatch vest, but wanted something for shorter trips....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 pm • # 20 

Yeah, the Lodgepole Satchel is the one I use for my warm water fishing. Holds quite a bit of stuff without weighing me down.

Larry

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply