It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 pm • # 21 

I use an 18L generic (Teton brand) "camelback" style backpack for fishing these days. It isn't fishing specific, but it's lightweight and comfortable and came with a 2L bladder for $25. If lightly loaded it is only a couple inches thick and I can barely notice it is there. Or if I am going to be out all day I can fill the water bladder and stuff a small soft lunch cooler and a windbreaker plus all my fishing gear in there and it's snug but still so small and light I can cast with it on without problems. You do have to unsling it to take stuff out, but I have not found this to be a big issue for the way I fish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 pm • # 22 

I highly recommend the patagonia stealth atom sling pack. I have an older version then the new one. but its fantastic keeps everything nice and organised. I use silicone twist tie things to attach my rain jacket to the bottom. I use it for anything from short trips to all day adventures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:26 pm • # 23 

I've found that for my ul fishing needs, dry fly fishing for trout, I really only need a shirt pocket for necessary fishing gear. Now its all the other sh#!% that needs a place to reside. I am prone to pack heavy items like guns and ammo and other bulky and heavy gear. I have found a very good pack, not fly fishing marketed, is the ticket for the day trips. I have become very fond of the osprey packs for fit, load comfort, and the mesh frame that keeps it off my back in the heat. Comfortably carry lunch, water, tweeker protection, and all else. Still usually have all my fishing stuff I need in my pocket.

Russell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:33 am • # 24 

Over four years later since my first post in this thread - still pretty much using the same setup for going light. Wifey still has the WMG pack, and I've still got my no-name little fanny pack from Wal Mart. A box of flies, a couple spools of tippet material, and forceps are all I need unless I am going tackle-heavy. When I go tackle heavy I feel like I really need a bass boat to lug everything around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:30 am • # 25 

I bought a sling pack at Cabelas in Sydney . It was on sale $26 and was hard to pass . Haven't used it yet but its packed and ready . Seems to be the right size .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 pm • # 26 

I'm still using a Cabela's but now a light sling pack. I've cut down on what I carry and the reduced weight makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:26 pm • # 27 

Long days usually see the Fishpond Wasatch, but lately I've been reaching for and re-loving my original Patagonia Double-Hual sling from way back in (I think) the '90's. It's perfect for a couple hours and has just the right amount of room for UL tackle and a bit of water in the backpack portion.

I like two shoulder straps for long wades, but for pond hopping the sling concept kinda rules. Takes off easy as well and oftentimes UL potholing demands a slower, stealthier pace without the need to constantly wear the pack on shorelines.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:59 am • # 28 

I love the JW Outfitters bonefish pack. Sadly, they stopped making these. I was fortunate to find one on eBay after the zipper broke on my first one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm • # 29 

For a hike in Orvis 2021 camo sling pack and lanyard with tippet, nippers and forceps. Within 3kms of car/cabin I use the Umpqua Rock Creek chest pack. In the kayak/boat C&F design chest storage rig.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply