It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Casting short rods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:50 pm • # 21 

fishing small cricks with short rods is what led me to old fiberglass rods. Like bamboo, I believe, the older glass rods have enough mass in the rod to cast a leader without any line out of the tip. I have not cast a graphite rod that can do this like these glass rods. I started my fly fishing career with custom lami's and fenwicks in the heavy line range and loved when I first went to graphite but for light line at short distance the old glass rules.
I'm looking for a better leader for ul short rods myself but if casts are short I will grab the glass. I have a fisher 3wt, similar to the winston stalker in action, and I need no line out of the guides to roll out a leader gently with a dry fly.
Anyways, not help in leader choice but try a lamiglas honey or some of the old glass rods for the in close fishing you are talking about.

Russell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:27 pm • # 22 

From my own experience, whether a leader turns over with little or no line outside the rod tip is more a function of good leader design than rod material. I have in fact used a short (6’9” for a 3-weight) carbon fiber rod that would easily turn over a # 12 muddler on a roll cast with only the leader outside the tip. Now that was a hand-tied nylon leader, not a furled leader. I believe that leader taper is as important in the equation as rod taper, much more so than what material a rod is made of. We can find good rod tapers in fiberglass, carbon fiber or cane, as well as some not so good ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 am • # 23 

Leader design is critical -- I've always found my hand-tied leaders turn over better than the extruded ones. I don't know why, surely if it was just a function of taper the manufacturers would have narrowed the gap but I notice it all the time. I wonder if the extra weight of the knots (or their distribution) is a factor.

I also agree with PampasPete that rod material is a lot less important than rod taper/flex when it comes to turning over a short line or just the leader out the tip. It turns out that almost nobody makes a deep flexing graphite rod anymore, so all the good examples of those are cane or fiberglass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 pm • # 24 

My post was not really meant to say one material was better than another but rather to say a short rod that has enough mass in the blank to store energy without the line to load it. This is what easily casts and turns over the leader at short distances. I have not come personally found any short, 6' ish graphite that does this but I am sure there are examples. I agree that leader design helps with graphite but you are working very hard to cast it and it is more like casting a spinning rod because the rod is not getting loaded like it would with a line out. A # 12 muddler would help the cast by adding weight for the rod to load.
Just my experiences.

Russell

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply