It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hook set
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:37 pm • # 1 

I haven't been on here for quite some time but have a question. I took my kayak out to a little lake this morning that is loaded with lm bass and red ear sunfish. I landed a dozen or so sunfish on a little spinning rod while throwing a micro sized crankbait. On once cast, the treble hooks got tangled in the line and I reeled in with it dancing on top....yup, a bass took a shot at it.

Out comes the 0wt with a small green popper, I'm guessing a size 6 or 8 hook on it. Over a couple of hours I had 25-30 grabs but only managed to land 2 fish, with many spitting the hook almost instantly to several that fought for a couple of minutes. Obviously the 0wt does not have a lot of backbone for hooksets but after losing several fish I started hammering them hard multiple times but had the same results. Letting them slurp it and munch on it for a bit, nope. The only alternative I can think of is tying up some poppers on oversized thin wire hooks. Any suggestions outside of a 3 wt.

My spinning gear for bass is small stuff loaded with 4lb test, but the 0wt takes it to a whole new level. Having a nice bass peel 50 feet of line off a reel makes me smile.

Post subject: Re: Hook set
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:07 am • # 2 

I once had a similar problem and it turned out that the gap in the hook was not wide enough, there was not enough room between the fly's body and the hook shank. The size of the rod didn't matter because the hook itself was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 pm • # 3 

I think Cliff nailed it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:00 pm • # 4 

I'm thinking Cliff is right as well. I'm still thinking an oversized thin wire hook is the answer.

I went back out this morning, bound and determined to land some more fish on the little fly rod. Right off the bat I had a 25-30 inch pike charge my popper and hook up. After the first run the condition of my reel started going south with the spool wallowing in the frame and binding up. After the next run it just locked up on me. The third run with a locked up reel went as expected and one of my blood knots let loose. I finished the morning using my Shakespear micro spin and did exceptionally well on bass and pike for a memorable trip.

Looking at the reel, the arbor is no longer square with the frame and the drag does not disengage. I took it apart and fiddled with it for an hour with no luck. I'll save the line and backing and start snooping around the reel reviews for a replacement.

side note...I noticed there is another thread below with basically the same topic. Time to read a bit more before posting a DeJa'Vu.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:27 pm • # 5 

If you're looking for suggestions I put a TFO BVK on my half weight. It's a little click pawl reel, and IIRC it weighs 2.1 oz. I'm very pleased with it. I've caught quite a few specks and a few reds on it; it's been into the backing a couple of times with no issues, and being machined & anodized, it's held up to the salt for several years.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:29 pm • # 6 

I'm assuming a BVK 1 is their smallest? I haven't used a click pawl reel in almost 40 years. I'm not sure if I want to go back now, though weight is a concern. The reel that froze up was an older reel from RDP, I believe made by maxcatch.

Edit: I have a trip planned for the 10th and got tired of researching reels, I just ordered a Battenkill to keep things simple and be done with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:21 am • # 7 

I HATE click & pawl reels!! Why? Because it seems like everyone on the river can hear you every time you pull line off the reel and they're all looking at you. I know that's not really the case, but it just seems like it. :\ :\ The crazy things we do, huh. I might be paranoid but at least I'm not schizophrenic. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:29 pm • # 8 

I know that feeling. When I first started flyfishing I had an old click & pawl diawa reel that was extremely noisy. It was a beauty to listen to when a fish ran, otherwise a muffler would have been nice.

The Battenkill showed up today and looks like a little sweetheart of a reel. My hearing is not the greatest, but this thing is just a whisper of that old diawa. I'm heading back out on the kayak in the morning. It's a little windy this evening along with too many chores which makes it an easy decision.

fwiw...a 90 second video of the pike on my 0 wt

https://youtu.be/J_xC3-BnI9c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:28 pm • # 9 

Lightfoot wrote:
I'm assuming a BVK 1 is their smallest? I haven't used a click pawl reel in almost 40 years. I'm not sure if I want to go back now, though weight is a concern. The reel that froze up was an older reel from RDP, I believe made by maxcatch.

Edit: I have a trip planned for the 10th and got tired of researching reels, I just ordered a Battenkill to keep things simple and be done with it.

Sorry for the slow response; I had to leave town for a week on very short notice (Whew..... They almost caught me!). Yes, the #1 is the smallest one. 2.1 ounces; nothing to sneeze at if weight is a factor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:32 pm • # 10 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I HATE click & pawl reels!! Why? Because it seems like everyone on the river can hear you every time you pull line off the reel and they're all looking at you. I know that's not really the case, but it just seems like it. : : The crazy things we do, huh. I might be paranoid but at least I'm not schizophrenic. :)

Cliff, I doubt you could hear my BVK 30 feet away.
And............... Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you. :rollin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:16 am • # 11 

I took the kayak out again yesterday morning. That little Battenkill is a dream on this rod. I was a little worried about overrun, but it turned out to be a non-issue. Time to get used to palming a reel again. I'm veery happy with the purchase.

With a horrible landing ratio on the prior trip, yesterdays outing went well. I had about a 50/50 split on hookups and spits v lands. I had a nice 4-5 lb bass make a run into standing brush while laughing at me, but at least he didn't spit the hook. I probably wouldn't have landed that fish on conventional gear either, but it was a good ride. I landed 10 or so in about an hour before the wind came up so I'll call that a win.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... uKN-XxB1Sd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:52 am • # 12 

hipshot wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I HATE click & pawl reels!! Why? Because it seems like everyone on the river can hear you every time you pull line off the reel and they're all looking at you. I know that's not really the case, but it just seems like it. : : The crazy things we do, huh. I might be paranoid but at least I'm not schizophrenic. :)

Cliff, I doubt you could hear my BVK 30 feet away.
And............... Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you. :rollin

I knew it!!!! They are after me!!!! I'd better go hide in the Rocky Mountains so they can't find me!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:27 am • # 13 

Lightfoot, it's good that you've improved your ratio. I've had similar problems getting a good hook set for different reasons. Some of the native species in this neck of the woods can spit out a fly almost before you realize that they're even striking. My solution, which may also work well for you, is to use a strip-set. I usually fish with small streamers or wet flies, so my rod tip is almost pointed straight toward the fly or at a low angle to the line. Upon feeling any resistance on the fly, which is felt by my line hand, I haul back on the line, then immediately sweep the rod tip back, but parallel to the water rather than raising it. Doing so essentially takes the soft tip of an UL rod out of the hook-setting equation. That also keeps the fly in the strike zone in case I miss and then there is another take from the same fish or another one. That's something that you might want to try.

There's one more thing to remember. Even the paranoid have real enemies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:48 am • # 14 

PampasPete wrote:
Lightfoot, it's good that you've improved your ratio. I've had similar problems getting a good hook set for different reasons. Some of the native species in this neck of the woods can spit out a fly almost before you realize that they're even striking. My solution, which may also work well for you, is to use a strip-set. I usually fish with small streamers or wet flies, so my rod tip is almost pointed straight toward the fly or at a low angle to the line. Upon feeling any resistance on the fly, which is felt by my line hand, I haul back on the line, then immediately sweep the rod tip back, but parallel to the water rather than raising it. Doing so essentially takes the soft tip of an UL rod out of the hook-setting equation. That also keeps the fly in the strike zone in case I miss and then there is another take from the same fish or another one. That's something that you might want to try.

There's one more thing to remember. Even the paranoid have real enemies.

See, I knew it!!! The aliens are after me!!!!

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply