It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:11 pm • # 1 

There’s a subject that has been touched on occasionally in this forum, however without ever going into much detail, and that is ultralight micro fly-fishing. As I’m now retired, with more flexible time on my hands but not a lot of money to visit distant destinations, it seems that making the most out of nearby locations would be a good idea.

I have some thoughts about UL micro fly-fishing, but little experience in it, so please feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken.

Goals: It seems to me that the main goal in UL micro fly-fishing would be not to catch the smallest fish, and certainly not the biggest ones, but rather the highest number of species possible. It’s just that there are many small species that get overlooked. What else might there be?

Positive identification: How does one go about making sure what species have been caught? Does it involve taking good quality photos, or taking samples home for closer study?

Record keeping: Does this involve making lists, creating spread sheets, etc.?

Tackle: Since we’re already into UL fly fishing, and we may have most of what is needed, does it require any specific equipment?

Please feel free to enlighten me about these points and add any other additional information that may be relevant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:58 am • # 2 

Sounds like you and another poster here from Manitoba have a similar microfishing goal: most species.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:03 am • # 3 

I’ve just gotten into this aspect of our sport and am truly enjoying it. As you state, better prospects closer to home as well as having the required equipment. I suspect bait would work better than flies in most instances but I’ve chosen to use flies mainly because I’ve compiled a fly caught Manitoba species list that I’ve kept adding to over the last ten years. Then there is the challenge; this is a whole new game and more difficult than catching big fish, at least in my estimation.
I use a photo tank for pictures, both side view and top view, and then go to a fish key for Manitoba species. I also have access to experts at our local university and government fisheries department. I’ve also downloaded a bit of software to my iPad called “picture fish” that works surprisingly well, at least up here.
For data collection I use my blog to post any new species plus a running total. Easy!
Tackle requirements are a bit more complicated but so far I’ve essentially narrowed it down to a couple of 1 wt rods plus a couple of fairly specific tenkara rods. I doubt there is really a rod “standard” to apply but rather what type of rod works best with the techniques you employ and the waters you fish.
I’m still trying to work out techniques that will work in various situations and assume this process will continue for some time.
My challenge right now is that fish in smaller bodies of water have moved to deeper pools for the coming winter and many of those pools are on private property. Also most of my waters are prairie rivers that are flat, turbid and quite featureless. Your challenges will be entirely different.
This aspect of fly fishing has completely rejuvenated my interest in the sport and has me on the water most days again.
Harry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:35 pm • # 4 

For me, interest in micro-fishing has more to do with the natural tendency (avoidance of predators) for smaller fish to hang out in shallow water (lakes and ponds) and tiny, step-over streams, places that I prefer to fish and are readily accessible nearby. If the species will take a fly, I’m game. If they only take bait, I can live with that as well. With such tiny fish, bait can be next to nothing, often available on site. This was a method of bait fishing I enjoyed as a boy, before I discovered lures and flies. Gathering the bait is half the fun, and about as natural as fishing can get. My tackle consists of a few 1 and 2 wt fly rods and a couple of short, ultra-soft tenkara (type) rods. I haven’t gotten into the pastime so deeply as photo tanks, identification, etc. Most of what I catch are various juvenile sunfish, minnows, and fingerling bass that I’ve seen nearly my whole life. Maybe I’ll get deeper into it one day, but for now, it’s more about the environment and minimalism than any specific goals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:41 am • # 5 

I agree, enjoying the process is everything, the motivation behind that process or methods used is irrelevant. In my case, new species caught on the fly is the only goal but of equal importance, I get out into nature to fish. And I enjoy almost everything that goes along with that. I’ve done more bushwhacking in the last few weeks than in the previous several years.
My problem now is that most minnows up here have left the shallows and headed d/s for deeper pools or larger rivers, probably in response to the upcoming ice cover. That gets up to 3 feet thick up here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:44 am • # 6 

Free2Fish wrote:
I’ve just gotten into this aspect of our sport and am truly enjoying it. As you state, better prospects closer to home as well as having the required equipment. I suspect bait would work better than flies in most instances but I’ve chosen to use flies mainly because I’ve compiled a fly caught Manitoba species list that I’ve kept adding to over the last ten years. Then there is the challenge; this is a whole new game and more difficult than catching big fish, at least in my estimation.
I use a photo tank for pictures, both side view and top view, and then go to a fish key for Manitoba species. I also have access to experts at our local university and government fisheries department. I’ve also downloaded a bit of software to my iPad called “picture fish” that works surprisingly well, at least up here.
For data collection I use my blog to post any new species plus a running total. Easy!

Harry, that's all very interesting. Could you please post the URL address of you blog?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:21 pm • # 7 

http://ichthyolatry.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm • # 8 

Free2Fish wrote:
http://ichthyolatry.blogspot.com/

Great website! Thanks.
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply