It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: dry versus wet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 am • # 1 
Administrator

Which do you prefer- dry fly fishing or wet? And what flies tactics do you use? Do these tactics vary upon your destination?

Let's here some thoughtful responses.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:11 pm • # 2 

What do you mean with wet? just wet flies or everything that goes under the film?

I was a nymph addict near the town I used to live, but I've also liked dry fly action. Well, when I reach this new river near where I live now I tried the nymph with minimal success... then moved to dries and everything turn very fun and catchy (if that word exists).

I think my final answer is depends: on the river and the situation. You can be very focused on one style, but if you wanna make it fun just try what works for you and sometimes make some changes, you wont be disappointed.

The good thing is that ULFF enthusiast cant change lines, so basically you have to cover the different water depth with a floating line, be it wets, nymphs, streamers and also dries.

Tight Lines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:23 pm • # 3 
Administrator

When I think of wets I am thinking of flies for which I will generally not add floatant; thus we could be talking about an unweighted emerger sitting in the film or one that sinks 2-3 inches or weighted flies which sink rather quickly. Fishing near or on the surface brings to mind my recent afdaptation to tandem fishing-that is, I will use a dry thne a trailing rig that can float or sink.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:34 pm • # 4 

For trout in moving water, I prefer soft hackles, which I often fish as wets that rise as emergers to the surface on the swing. Sometimes I grease them to fish dry. For bluegills and bass in still water, I prefer topwater action, but much of the season the fish don't cooperate--I prefer catching fish to watching unmolested surface bugs for hours in stifling humidity.
CC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm • # 5 

I fish dries only and only in sizes 16 and down. For me it isn't a matter of snob appeal; it's just that I grew up trolling the Great Lakes for salmon and walleye and perch fishing using spreaders and that had no visual stimulation whatsoever. Now I'm obsessed with the visual part of fly fishing. I don't even use nymphs or streamers for bluegills or bass, but I do break my self-imposed size limit and use large poppers--up to a size 10.

I tie nymphs and emergers for others, especially my younger brother, who couldn't care less how he gets a fish--as long as it's fly fishing and legal. He even uses egg patterns when going for steelhead. I like to give him crap about that as I just don't think it's a very sporting way to fish for steelhead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:55 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I was going to say that this is my idea of a "dry fly":

A nice Round Dinny.  But then that probably wouldn't fit with Les's "thoughtful response" requirement. Image

I fish below surface almost all summer here in Texas just because with the heat the fish seem to hang out down there.  In the spring and fall I'll fish both dries and wets.  When I go up to Colorado I try to fish dries if possible but usually end up doing both.

I used to fish poppers a lot just because it's so much fun to watch the action.  I'm not sure why I changed--it wasn't really a conscious decision.  I guess I just catch more and larger fish sub-surface.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:33 pm • # 7 

I like to cast dry flies to rising fish. Fishing the water works, but I enjoy the challenge of targeting a specific fish. They don't always rise when I'm standing there, so:

Bass/Bluegill/Panfish: I start on top if there's a chance, and work down if they're not taking drys. On windy days, or when I know the fish are deep and not likely to hit a dry, I start with a small Wooly Bugger.

Trout: Stocked* trout get Green Weenies, Wooly Buggers, and Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear nymphs. Sometimes I use soft hackle flies, but the first 3 are consistent performers. Non-stocked/native trout get dry flies first. I fish spring creeks that have BWO hatches during the winter months, so I'll toss #18 and #20 BWO's first. If that doesn't work, I'll go with PTN's, GRHE's, and Zebra Midges on the spring creeks. If all of that fails, I'll switch to Green Weenies and Wooly Buggers.

*I fish one stream that's stocked with trout, and they remain there well into May. They learn to take dry flies, and when that happens, I start by casting drys to rising trout.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm • # 8 

I prefer dry (top-water) action "hands-down". I don't fish poppers unless the water is muddy. I like to use foam spiders, in different sizes, grass-hoppers, crickets, beetles etc. I like to lay them on the water as gentle as possible, let the rings go away...then "twitch" them so they look like an insect struggling to get back to shore. If my target fish will not come to the top......I will use MM minnows, wooley-buggers and mini-buggers, cap-spiders, greeny-weenies, and at times nymphs. With these I very the retreve and depth until I find what will trigger strikes. (wow) makes me want to go fishing just thinking about it................Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm • # 9 

Just like everyone has already said on this thread, I like top water action the best. But, like CC stated, the fish have to cooperate.

Trout: When first stocked, or in high water, the trout are meat eaters on the bottom. A big beadhead bugger is what they want. But in late spring, early summer, the trout in my local streams only feed on midges in the afternoon. I've had so much fun with my 1wt and size 20 or 22 sulfur midges on a 6X.

Sunfish: That's what I do all summer until they restock the trout streams in early Oct. I have best success with beadheads fished on the bottom. Like Cliff said in his article "the big gills are on the bottom hiding in the weeds" I have found the same thing. But....... almost every twilight at a local lake, hundreds of bluegills stay on the surface eating tiny nymphs before they hatch. Good action with a sponge spider, but a fish on every cast with a non weighted size 14 Hare's Ear. That is the best action I have around here. The big gills almost pull my UL fly rod out of my hand!!

Good topic, Les! I have to say that I switch all the time when I go fishing...... just like trout when cold and sunfish when hot!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:23 am • # 10 

I certainly prefer dry flies.  And  I  lean toward toledotimber's way of thinking.  But I have too much of CC in me to be that "disciplined".  As a result, one tactic I often employ is to choose a fly that I can do both with.  For example, when fishing for trout I might tie on a Royal Coachman and fish it dry.  Once it becomes waterlogged, I just leave it on and fish it wet.  The same often holds true for me when fishing warm-water.  I often tie on a Muddler Minnow and fish it as a hopper until it doesn't stay on the surface.  Then I fish it as a minnow/sculpin.  So I guess I'm a dry fly fisherman that's really lazy.

Location certainly will dictate my choices, and I find that on still water I almost always end up sub-surface.  On my favorite water (small streams) I almost always fish dry flies.  Regardless of whether they are trout streams or warm-water.  (Though the tactic described above is still often employed.)

---David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 am • # 11 
Administrator

When I bass fished I primarily used soft plastics and love to watch the line twitch and feel the bump of a take. This preference transferred to fly fishing. I prefer fishing wet flies over dry flies 9 times out of 10.
For trout I use soft hackles primarily. For bluegill and the accidental bass I fish slow sinking flies (sometimes with extra weight but mostly not).
It's a blast to see the take and I enjoy catching fish on dries but the fish don't seem to like them as much. Sometimes I crave dry fly fishing but after I catch a few on top I'll revert back to my preferences.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:22 am • # 12 

I don't discriminate... What and how I fish is dependent on what is going on. Quite often I will fish dries, nymphs and streamers in one trip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:28 am • # 13 
Administrator

Sasha wrote:
I don't discriminate... What and how I fish is dependent on what is going on. Quite often I will fish dries, nymphs and streamers in one trip.

Great point. But if you had a choice which do you prefer?

As for me I like streamer fishing.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 am • # 14 

keebranch wrote:
Sasha wrote:

Great point. But if you had a choice which do you prefer?

As for me I like streamer fishing.

Les

All things being equal I like catching fish on dries. Streamers are a close second though and nymphing is third. I will say though that I will use which ever method to catch fish since that is ultimately why I go fish.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm • # 15 

The largest two bass that I've caught, 9# and 7-15# have both been on #1 Peck's Poppers. Over the years I've literally caught thousands of bass on those poppers and always start off with them in the morning. There are times I'll switch to a frog-pattern deer hair popper, and those have been effective as well. It is rare that I use dry flies for bream, 99.9% of the time I use wets such as woolly buggers, cap spiders, small clousers and a lot of trout nymphs. 

When trout fishing I have to use wets because with my 65 year-old eyes there is no way I can see a #22 fly floating on the water. Image

Post subject: Re: dry versus wet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm • # 16 

The last few years I have become a soft hackle/flymph junkie, I tye them by the box full. I still do tye & fish streamers on big water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:41 pm • # 17 

Wet!! I'm with cross creek and a few others. Soft hackles seem to be magic on tough spooky trout. It seems like on some waters if getting the correct drift is difficult during a hatch, I can get above most fish and swing a soft hackle down and lots of times get a strike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:22 pm • # 18 

I mostly fish under the surface. My eyes are going and trying to focus on small midges in a foam line has become a practice in LDR's. Wets or nymphs on a swing or cast upstream and led down (think Euro style) has given me results while others around me are working drys. I do fish drys but now mostly in slow glides where I can see the fly or on ponds where it just sits and the fish find it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm • # 19 

can't add anything. Dries when the fish will take them, but need moving water as well. So mostly wets on the swing or just below the surface with a strip retrieve.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:29 am • # 20 

Flyfishing for me is dry flyfishing, casting upstream. I find it the more enjoying way to catch a fish.
If I MUST fish under usually I use other technics that flyfishing.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ] New Topic Add Reply