It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: dry versus wet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm • # 21 

Interesting thread. Personally, I tend not to use the terms wet or dry, rather I categorize flies according the the depth the fly is fished. I like to say that a fly presented in the top inch or two of water as - fishing on top regardless of if the fly is actually floating or not. IN a dry fly hatch, often the most effective presentation is that of an emerger right in the film of the surface. Though the fly is under the surface I still refer to this as fishing on top. That would even include an unweighted nymph fished just under the surface.

To me, nymph fishing refers to presenting the fly deep...with a bead or split shot to sink it.

Top or Deep!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 pm • # 22 

You have a point Dave. Even when fishing a "dry" , the fly is more often in the film or sunk. "wet" flies land on the film, and only sink on the retrieve. So the overlap is considerable. Nymphs I distinguish from wets. Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 pm • # 23 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
You have a point Dave. Even when fishing a "dry" , the fly is more often in the film or sunk. "wet" flies land on the film, and only sink on the retrieve. So the overlap is considerable. Nymphs I distinguish from wets. Don

Of course, most of my fishing is for trout on moving water. I do like to see a dry fly floating high and watch a trout take it. But realistically, I am content to watch a trout rise to a fly I know is there and where it is approximately, but can't see it....yet the trout rolls on it anyway. When fishing tiny flies such as midge and BWO patterns at the end of 40-50 foot casts, you could not even see the fly anyway.

Most patterns I use are small and simple...meant to fish in the film. As far as I am concerned, if a trout moved from it's lair on the bottom to take the fly anywhere above him and close to the surface, it means the trout is looking up and that is fishing on top.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 pm • # 24 

The problem is keeping the fly "high". Unless I strip line into the drift, the fly pulls under pretty quick. I guess I need to cast upstream more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:30 am • # 25 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
The problem is keeping the fly "high". Unless I strip line into the drift, the fly pulls under pretty quick. I guess I need to cast upstream more.
As one that fishes "on top" whenever possible, I heartily concur. On moving water "downstream and dry" is just an exercise in futility. On many occasions (usually per fishing trip) I have stripped line out to increase my "drift time" as the fly goes by. But on those occasions the fly usually isn't coming back upstream "dry" very many times (if any) either.

If I'm ambitious, I'll change flies out once that happens. If not, (which is usually the case) I revert to the technique I offered in my original post to this thread, and start "swinging it". More times than not I'm lazy and leave the fly on until I'm convinced it won't be productive, and it doesn't seem to matter what fly I have on either. I've "swung" hoppers and humpys, adams and ants. I can't say they were overly productive in that technique, and it isn't one I'd recommend. But while I can't recall a specific example, I'd bet that they've all produced at least one fish, even when they should have been "back in the box".

So Dave, if I use your definition of "Top or Deep", I'm a 99.99% top water fisherman.

---David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 am • # 26 

Rarely do I fish dry flies or topwater. Hook sets are the problem and I have never solved it. Mostly I fish soft hackles, but have boxes full of other flies I have tied. I don't fish dry flies on moving water because I have difficulty knowing where the fly is. So my most common rig is a soft hackle with a nymph or chronomid on the dropper. It's fun to see which fly takes the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm • # 27 

I used to be a hard core nymph fisherman. I fished hard and caught tons of fish. I was always about the numbers and always tried to catch more than the next guy. The only time I would fish dries was in the middle of a hatch. After one particually sucessful evening fishing dries I got the idea I was going to fish nothing but dries (which I include cripples and emergers) the rest of the summer. That was about 4 or 5 years ago and I never looked back. To me there is nothing like getting that perfect drift with the perfect fly and seeing the fish come up and take it......... that is what keeps me coming back. My whole approch to fly fishing has changed. Before I used to seem to fight the river trying to catch as many as possible now I seem to go more with the flow, I am more asstute to the hatches and whats going on around me. I also figured out that even in the middle of the day with no hatch a properly placed dry fly can still produce. Your not going to do as well as a good nymph fisherman but hey you can still be successful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 am • # 28 

On The Fly wrote:
I used to be a hard core nymph fisherman. I fished hard and caught tons of fish. I was always about the numbers and always tried to catch more than the next guy. The only time I would fish dries was in the middle of a hatch. After one particually sucessful evening fishing dries I got the idea I was going to fish nothing but dries (which I include cripples and emergers) the rest of the summer. That was about 4 or 5 years ago and I never looked back. To me there is nothing like getting that perfect drift with the perfect fly and seeing the fish come up and take it......... that is what keeps me coming back. My whole approch to fly fishing has changed. Before I used to seem to fight the river trying to catch as many as possible now I seem to go more with the flow, I am more asstute to the hatches and whats going on around me. I also figured out that even in the middle of the day with no hatch a properly placed dry fly can still produce. Your not going to do as well as a good nymph fisherman but hey you can still be successful.

I agree, True....nymphs will always catch more fish. The days comes however, that numbers means less than experience. Flies on top, or close to it...ie: visible takes, are more rewarding than even the feel of a take or worse, watching a strike indicator. I still fish nymphs, but it is more as a dropper to a dry fly than alone. I see my fellow trout angler here in Idaho, casting, or rather lobbing a smorgasbord of bead heads under a strike indicator 30-40 feet out into Idaho's various moving waters. Yes, they catch fish...hell, when you cast a sting of nymphs ranging from a #6 stonefly nymph pattern all the way down to a #20 zebra midge, and four nymphs between, then feeding trout will obviously take one of them. They do out fish me...but I still feel sorry for them.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:16 am • # 29 

For grayling i start out with a dry and emerger on a dropper. Sometime 50-50 takes, sometimes 80-20 takes either way, rarely 99-1 but happens . . . mostly on late lazy summer afternoons . . . and then i'll break off the fly not working ... and not look back. If absolutely nothing is rising i'll tie tungsten beadhead and a softhackle dropper. If i'm going deep 4-6' i'll add an indicator ( there . . .. i said it and am going to hell.) One best rod when wading. Two "perfect" rods when floating. Guess that makes me dry and/or wet for grayling. ::)

For rainbows i start out mousing . . . then smolting . . . then egging. Whatever it takes to touch 25+ inch rainbows. Some days i never let the mouse rig out of my hands. Middle of a major chum spawn . . . egg and indicator is the only setup that gets the attention i need. I mostly do 10 day wilderness floats for rainbows and carry three rigged rod with two of the rods cased when not in use. ( I run some sometimes scary rivers to get away from the guided jet boat crowd.) Guess that makes me dry and/or wet for rainbow too.

( Disclaimer . . . always "ultra light" for grayling (but a couple of local rivers i wade and use a fast 4wt for smallstream smolting and end up touching more rainbows than grayling) . . . never "ultra light" when targeting exclusively rainbows.

Wish the rivers would thaw so I can Go Fish. This must be what a crack addict feels like with no stash ! :rollin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 pm • # 30 

Where do you live that you get to fish for Grayling? I just tied up a bunch of flys for Grayling for my friend in Sweden. I have been dying to go there and fish for them with him.
interiorak wrote:
For grayling i start out with a dry and emerger on a dropper. Sometime 50-50 takes, sometimes 80-20 takes either way, rarely 99-1 but happens . . . mostly on late lazy summer afternoons . . . and then i'll break off the fly not working ... and not look back. If absolutely nothing is rising i'll tie tungsten beadhead and a softhackle dropper. If i'm going deep 4-6' i'll add an indicator ( there . . .. i said it and am going to hell.) One best rod when wading. Two "perfect" rods when floating. Guess that makes me dry and/or wet for grayling. ::)

For rainbows i start out mousing . . . then smolting . . . then egging. Whatever it takes to touch 25+ inch rainbows. Some days i never let the mouse rig out of my hands. Middle of a major chum spawn . . . egg and indicator is the only setup that gets the attention i need. I mostly do 10 day wilderness floats for rainbows and carry three rigged rod with two of the rods cased when not in use. ( I run some sometimes scary rivers to get away from the guided jet boat crowd.) Guess that makes me dry and/or wet for rainbow too.

( Disclaimer . . . always "ultra light" for grayling (but a couple of local rivers i wade and use a fast 4wt for smallstream smolting and end up touching more rainbows than grayling) . . . never "ultra light" when targeting exclusively rainbows.

Wish the rivers would thaw so I can Go Fish. This must be what a crack addict feels like with no stash ! :rollin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:38 am • # 31 

Where ?

All places Alaska . . . but mostly north of Fairbanks and south of the crest of the Brooks Range . . . from a single engine plane . . . a canoe . . . a raft . . or a dual sport motorcycle. Life is good when there is flowing water somewhere ;)

Born and raised in your country . . . still have home in Klamath Falls . . . but found a better way :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am • # 32 

interiorak wrote:
Where ?

All places Alaska . . . but mostly north of Fairbanks and south of the crest of the Brooks Range . . . from a single engine plane . . . a canoe . . . a raft . . or a dual sport motorcycle. Life is good when there is flowing water somewhere ;)

Born and raised in your country . . . still have home in Klamath Falls . . . but found a better way :D

OK at first I didnt realize you were from AK but I see it in your name now. Grayling sure look like a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm • # 33 

I fish about 90% dry flies when UL-fishing. Perhaps I dont catch as much fish as those fishing wet or nymphs. But its my belief I have much more fun :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm • # 34 

m.nystrom wrote:
I fish about 90% dry flies when UL-fishing. Perhaps I dont catch as much fish as those fishing wet or nymphs. But its my belief I have much more fun :D

I enjoyed your blog on building the Bamboo Rod.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:45 am • # 35 

I prefer dry fly fishing, if that's what they want. Presentation depends on whether I'm going after trout or warmwater species. My favorite is tossing a dry in the middle of some tuff, variable speed currents and getting that perfect drift and getting rewarded by Mr Trout. Still not an expert at the drag free drift, but when it happens it's a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:36 am • # 36 

To me it all depends on where I am fishing. If I am on a larger river and no fish are seen on top then its a double nymph rig under an indicator. On the small streams it is almost always a dry-dropper setup. Some days the dry acts more like an indicator but it tends to not spook the fish like an indicator would. If the fish are really active on top then the dropper comes off so I can avoid losing two flies at a time to the trees.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm • # 37 

I prefer dries because I like watching the take, but I tend to follow the feeding patterns of the fish I'm chasing. In the morning hours on trout streams, I'll fish nymphs, leeches, buggers. But in the afternoon and fish are on the surface then I'll switch to terrestrials or the hatch dujour. I try to be very aware of the entymology of the water ecosystem that I am fishing. If I can match the food sources with an imitation, then it's game on.
How well you do, is based upon how well you read the conditions around you, and understand how to take advantage of them. For me it's not about the number of fish, it's all about how I can fool them into becoming my next gourmet meal. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:53 pm • # 38 

I prefer dries (and emergers), too. It's exciting to see these risers taking flies I tied. If I don't see any surface activities, or if they reject my offerings, I switch to nymphs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm • # 39 

Interesting well both and some.. I love fishing dries , also nymphs and spiders. The art of fishing spiders is controlling where your flies are within the water column from in the surface film to virtually on the bottom all drag free.
Dries upstream mainly but also downstream too. Grayling can often be caught more effectively fishing dries downstream. A reach cast is something you want in your armoury for getting that drag free presentation.
Nymph fishing is very effective but hard to do well. I am just experimenting with french leaders at the moment.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:07 pm • # 40 

While I really dig fishing dry flies and love casting weightless flies - I fish wet flies a lot more because there's nothing else quite like the tug even from a 6 inch fish when they smash a swung wet fly. As steelheaders around here say "the tug is the drug". I fish wet flies probably 70% of the time anymore. When fishing still waters for panfish - I enjoy sight fishing to them with wet flies and watching them race to the fly. I fish dries and poppers when they are close to the surface, but wet flies tend to produce more. And casting a wet fly is very much like casting a dry. My least favorite way to fish, even tho it takes up a lot of the remainder of my fishing, is indicator nymphing. It's glorified bobber fishing - and I like a tactile take over watching a bobber go under (or twitch.)

To split the difference, if I think the fish are looking up, I'll fish a dry fly with a wet fly dropper and fish them on the swing. If you use a pattern like a goddard caddis, it's a good imitation of a skating, skittering adult and can generate some violent takes themselves.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ] New Topic Add Reply