It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 53 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: dry versus wet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:35 pm • # 41 

Love the dries. Love watching the takes.

Tried winter fishing and am warming up to Nymphs. Challenge here is seeing or feeling the takes. When fish hooks self, no issue, but think I miss 70% of the takes. Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:09 pm • # 42 

Let the force be with you. Takes on nymphs can be hard to detect but after awhile it becomes a sense and you find you are setting the hook, not knowing why, and feeling resistance as the hook sets into a fishes jaw :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 pm • # 43 

Dry only for me. If I can't see the fish take the fly I tied it takes all the fun and challenge out flyfishing. Granted, I see people catching big fish by dragging a nymph through a deep run but the same can be done with a lure or worm. Certainly not my preference. A one weight Sage with a 28 PMD can still catch big fish. Just takes more technique.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:23 am • # 44 

I prefer Poppers/Gurglers (especially in the salt) but I fish streamers most often, Wooly/Salty Bugger and Bob's your uncle! I like generic patterns that can mimic/imitate/give the impression of many things so in my fly box there's 8 different patterns. Only 2 are dries, the rest the kitchen sink.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:43 pm • # 45 

For me, fly fishing is more enjoyable as a visual sport. I don't really like fishing nymphs for trout, I can do it, I just don't like it that much. Given the choice, I will fish a surface fly every time. Poppers and sliders for bass, dries for trout, foam spiders and terrestrials for panfish, etc...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:19 pm • # 46 

Although most responding here prefer dry fly fishing, I think much of that comes from the preconceived view of nymph fishing. Fly fishing with a nymph evokes images of bushy and heavily weighted flies, oversized strike indicators, split shot and heavy gear. As efficient as it might be, heavy nymphing in big water is not exactly considered to be either the most elegant or the most enjoyable technique for catching fish with a fly.

However nymph fishing does not always have to be that way. When light tackle and small flies are used to delicately lure sighted fish, nymphing becomes one of the most exciting and rewarding fishing methods. As your nymph drifts toward the fish, you should have a sense of where your fly is. You do not have to look for it because in most situations you will not be able to see it and you do not want to be distracted by searching for it. What is important is to watch the fish, and only the fish, as you offer is passing by it. It is the opposite of dry fly fishing where it's important to focus on the fly. There are a number of indications from the fishes reaction that will tell when it actually takes.

With experience, an accomplished nymph fisher develops such a Zen connection with the underwater world that he can sense exactly when to set the hook, without a rational explanation of why.

To me, that is what UL nymph fishing is all about.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:07 am • # 47 

I prefer to dead drift nymphs when cold water (trout) fishing. I know this might be sinful but I actually don't care for sight fishing.

Dry flies can be fun and I actually prefer dries when fishing for bass or panfish. I am not sure I can explain this probably just my twisted brain.

If I had to use only 1 fly for enjoyment and/or successful fishing it would be a small dark wooly. I love the tap or tug you get when drifting a nymph through a fishy looking run.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:02 pm • # 48 

The FFer's salute in the '50's - "Keep your flies and Martinis dry."

For trout, I like to fish dries and do most of the time. However, I am not averse to fishing streamers or wet flies. I have never learned to fish nymphs; nor tried.

On a pond that has perch, pickerel, bass, and sunfish, I will use whatever fly takes them. I most enjoy small streamers because then you don't know what you have caught until a few seconds into the fight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:53 pm • # 49 

Nice post!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:11 pm • # 50 

Preference? Seeing the surface strike!

But I fish below the surface when they won't come up.

But who am I kidding, I never catch much anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:21 am • # 51 

If you would have asked me last year I would have said nothing but dry flies for the last decade. One year I fished nothing but the Adams all year in different sizes. Surprisingly, I caught just as many fish as using a vest full of fly boxes.

However, this year I will be trying the North Country Spiders in the Stewart method of upstream fishing. No downstream swing at all. The swing method is more for the winged wets, and not the spider flies. We'll see how it goes this year, and then i'll decide if I want to stay with it, or go back to dries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:47 pm • # 52 

Creek wrote:
If you would have asked me last year I would have said nothing but dry flies for the last decade. One year I fished nothing but the Adams all year in different sizes. Surprisingly, I caught just as many fish as using a vest full of fly boxes.

However, this year I will be trying the North Country Spiders in the Stewart method of upstream fishing. No downstream swing at all. The swing method is more for the winged wets, and not the spider flies. We'll see how it goes this year, and then i'll decide if I want to stay with it, or go back to dries.

Interesting experiment,,, I have found that the soft hackle fly is much more productive than the dry fly. You can easily catch fish when there is no "hatch" on the surface.

My old time mentor showed me how to change over when the caddis finally started hatching,,, dry the soft hackle,, use some Gink and cast right into the rise form,,, most of the time we would get a hit. The soft hackle became an emerger or still borne pattern.

Try casting down stream into the seam at a very shallow angle,,, let slack into the drift,,,, we get many fish with a drag free down stream presentation.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:20 pm • # 53 

Yes, but the fun of fishing dries it getting the trout to take the dry when there's no hatch. ;)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 53 posts ] New Topic Add Reply