It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:45 pm • # 21 

let me ask a dumb question; what determines leader length?
a. length of the rod
b. size of the line
c. wariness of the fish
d.size(weight) of the rod
e.or?????????
-p-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:18 pm • # 22 

Pearow, for me the biggest influence factor on leader length is water clarity and depth. I suppose that wariness of the fish would be directly related to water clarity and depth. Therefore, when fishing low clear streams, I fish a long leader, sometimes 18' or more. I choose tippet size, mostly relative to fly size. As for the fly line, I like to fish the smallest diameter line possible for the fishing conditions. If I am fishing a light line, say 2 or 3 weight, I can shorten up on the leader some.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:25 pm • # 23 

jdub wrote:
let me ask a dumb question; what determines leader length?-p-

Not to be a smart ass, but I would answer: The fish.

Was a time that I would not fish a leader longer than the rod for fear of breaking off in the guides if he took that last run at the net. Better connections and more care tying knots has eliminated that worry.
Size of line and weight of rod are similar in my thinking. I use furled leaders, suited to the weight of line. These lengths are fixed by the manufacturers and I adjust the fishing length with added tippet.

Size of fly is the deciding factor for me. This will determine the tippet size and length.
My plan is to go as light and as long as possible to turn over that fly, and as short and heavy as I can get away with it at the same time.

My leader, tippet combos vary from 9' to 14' for trout. I fish with guys that use 4' straight mono from the fly line and do well also. Depends on the day and conditions.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply