It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 pm • # 1 

I don't fish furled leaders, I put floatant on my leader and tippet when using dry flies and don't if I am using wet. However I have been testing a braided line for my tippet that really seems a little better than mono or flo-carbon. The one pictured is made by STREN but I have some made by EZ brand Spider-Wire too. What it so neat about this line for tippet......it is braided and really strong. The one pictured is 8LB test line....but it is a 3LB dia. line. It is also "nick" resistant (if it does get nicked, it doesn't loose all of its strength). The green color is just about invisable in the water. With this tippet, every time I have hooked a "toothy-critter" (gar or pickerel) I have been able to land them without them cutting my line. The only down-side.......If I get hung-up on a stump or root, it is a little harder to break off the tippet. I mostly use this in the river and around lilly-pads ( If my fly gets caught on a lilly-pad, I can pull it free without breaking my tippet and loosing a fly). It is made in heaver weights too, which I believe would make a great leader. I just bought some that is 30LB test and only 8LB dia. I plan on trying this as my leader and a lighter (mono, floro or braid) as my tippet. I don't like paying $2-$3 for tapered leaders and I have high hopes this braided line will work as a leader replacement. I will have to see how well this heavier braided line "turns-over" when used as a leader, and how well it will float (with or without floatant). If you are a "purest", and believe you must fish a 7X tippet, this may not appeal to you.......However,  I feel this stuff is really worth a look.......................Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:21 pm • # 2 

Tailingloop, I dont wanna be rude... but I dont agree with you, the reason why is that I think the tippet has to be your weakest link between the fly and the rest of the equipment so if anything "needs" to break please let it be the tippet.

Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 pm • # 3 

Sure.............I agree, I like this braided line in places I may have to wrestle a nice fish out of tree-roots etc. It is made in different weights....(I believe lighter than 8LB too) I am really hoping it will make a good leader, (with whatever LB test tippet I want to use). So far I have used the 8LB tippet where I catch a lot of "toothy-critters", in lilly-pad infested ponds and also with my (dare I say) heavier rods. The line pictured is the lightest one I have found locally...........I haven't done a "net-search" yet, but I have been told there are lighter braids out there..............Don S. in SC
<<<<  UPDATE  >>>>  I did a quick search and I do see that EZ braid (spiderwire) does make a couple of different 6LB test braided lines. I believe this is about a 2LB dia. line. Equal to a 3X I guess........Not want you would want on that "000" wt for sure, on a 3wt it may be OK.   .......................Don 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:02 pm • # 4 

Don,

I've seen the Fireline Crystal in a 2lb test, with a supposed diameter of just .003 inch. So I know there are lighter braided lines out there. I've never tried one, but have been intrigued by them myself, and what (if any) application they might have for fly fishing.

I'll be watching for further feedback from you on your experience using them.

---David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:17 pm • # 5 

I've heard that furrled leaders made from fireline crystal float but, I've never thought of trying it as tippet, sounds like a great idea for Pickeral.

Wayneb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 pm • # 6 

I use .001 diameter invis braid on my extreme ultra light spin rod...... I'm also a true Threadliner!...... when I need a change from my fly rod.  NanoFil is the latest and thinnest super line. I think it's the thinnest line made? Very strong, it's rated for 1lb, but has a breaking strength of about 6lbs. I've landed lots of big crappies with this line! It's so thin that you can hardly see it....... but it works really great with a UL carbon Stradic reel.
The .001 is like a 10X or 11X tippet!! I just might try it for midges, but way too thin to turn over a regular fly.
The line has no memory, and is great for a spin rod...... but will never turn over a fly.

A little experimenting? Don?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 am • # 7 

I am using nonofil 8 lb for crappie and just bought some 12. 2 lb will be my ice line this year. I am betting it will fly fish too. but I haven't tried.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:18 pm • # 8 

WOW.............1wt, that is some tiny stuff......The 8LB is really a little heavy for UL tippet , and the 1LB looks really small. I have been looking for 3-5 LB braid to use as tippet....but haven't found it. I still want to get out and experiment using the heavier braid for a leader.......I used the 8LB test braid (for leader and tippet) before. It worked pretty well (especially for toothy critters) but I want to get out and try using some heavier braid for a leader  w/ (lighter tippet).............I will post my findings.......Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:36 pm • # 9 

Tailingloop wrote:
  WOW.............1wt, that is some tiny stuff....
Don,
Yeah, it's so thin that I can't see it at twilight...... even with a headlamp!
I also have some NanoFil 3lb, which has a .003 diameter. That's the stuff I'm going to try for a tippet.
Great idea, though..... thanks for the idea!

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply