It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Lake or pool fishing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 am • # 1 
Administrator

How do you approach a pool in river or a creek- do you use th same techniques as you would fishing a lake? 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am • # 2 
Administrator

In my experience a pool in a river usually has a distinct current--even if it is very slow--that gives me an idea of where fish might be hanging out.

A lake usually doesn't have that noticeable current going through it so I look for channels or structure, or, the anethma of fly fishers everywhere, I end up blind casting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:19 pm • # 3 

Most of the pools I see are the ones in backyards or health clubs. When I see them I usually put my bathing suit on and approach them slowly because all the signs around them say "No Running!". The only fish I've seen in them worth catching are of the female variety and I usually use a smile and flowers to catch them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:34 pm • # 4 

Approaching pools in rivers... if the vegetation around allows so, I approach them from below working them up still I get to the head of the pool. On lakes, as jdub, I look for structure and/or cruising fish or surface activity.

Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:12 pm • # 5 

Quote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote: The only fish I've seen in them worth catching are of the female variety and I usually use a smile and flowers to catch them.
Yeah, I know what you mean, Cliff. The "bikini" hatch used to be pretty good!
I didn't approach slow, though. And not always from downstream! I  wanted to match the hatch with all the bikini's everywhere I fished! I learned how to adjust and made a few adjustments.
Looking back, I did pretty good!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 am • # 6 

In periods of hot or cold weather, I look for currents in lakes and ponds, like inlets and spillways. Not only is there likely to be food there, but the water temp and oxygen level will be more comfortable--both will attract fish and make them more likely to feed.

As for donning a swim suit and trolling for bikini fish, I've been off the market for some time, and don't think it would be a very effective tactic anymore, anyway. I've stayed in shape, but even that can't defeat the passage of time--good tailoring, alcohol, and witty conversation would seem more likely to catch them now.
CC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 am • # 7 

I am a average fly fisherman...but, I have learned in any type of fishing be it pond, river, lake, one should take the time to study the water and terrain around it....look for old fence lines, bridges, foundations, roads, that may have been covered up and one can only tell by looking at the land...drop a leaf in the water and see where it goes..turn over a couple of rocks or get a stick and pull some weeds out and separate them to see what the fish just might be feeding on...in other words, take your time...enjoy the hunt before you start whipping the water like a gladiator in a chariot race...

As for the bikini thing, well the ones I like are young enough for me to be their Dad/Grandfather :( and the ones I might be able to catch are going thru the "change" and can be meaner than a pitbull that has been fed gunpowder...

I think I would just rather catch a Pi**ed off redear

Post subject: Re: Lake or pool fishing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:52 am • # 8 

all jokes aside :lol i approach BOTH with a lot of stealth....
with streams, i make a slow down stream approach...keeping low and quite as possible and work in close first then work my way and casts slowly up the pool...
as for lakes i pretty much do the same thing and use the same stealth as i do on rivers...many lakes i fish in the eastern sierras have fish cruising real close to the shore line and if you just walk up to the bank... there gone....so creeping up on them using short distance casts first.. then making longer cast after i have covered the close up areas first can work well.

Post subject: Re: Lake or pool fishing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 pm • # 9 

Cross Creek: "...good tailoring, alcohol, and witty conversation..." Love it!
It worked when I was fishing and still works now. Careful, well presented approach and the preferred offering will net them.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply