It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 57 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm • # 21 

"Fool proof" is a dangerous term to use..."idiot resistant" is likely more appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:13 pm • # 22 
Administrator

Ha, excellent point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 am • # 23 

Cowpokey wrote:
"Fool proof" is a dangerous term to use..."idiot resistant" is likely more appropriate.

Hey, you guys quit talking about me like that!!!! :'( :'(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:53 am • # 24 
Administrator

Sorry Cliff. Didn't think you'd pick up on it. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 pm • # 25 

Furled are pretty cool. But be aware many types sink. Not a big fan of sink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm • # 26 

I was recently in the garage fooling around, checking out all my flyrods. Short tippet, long tippet, etc. So I just decide to cut it all off & tied on 10lb flourocarbon, not sure how it will work or won't work as I've yet to fish it. But I do get tired of constantly trying to keep my tippet the right length, say 4'.

I predominately fish for Bass & perch....so we'll see???? ??? ???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:58 am • # 27 

Bass and bream are not leader shy so the size tippet you use doesn't make any difference at all. On my 9', 6/7-wt rod which is my bass rod, I use 17# straight mono for a leader. For bream on my 7', 3-wt I use #1 or #2 tippet material for a leader because it sinks faster than regular mono. As for length, I usually have 4' - 8' leaders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 pm • # 28 

Cliff; if you would try a furled leader, say 3 or 4 foot, then add2 to 3 foot of tippet you'd be awed by how much better you cast; the fly would turn over and land softly; you would have a grin on your face and a song in your heart! Give Robin a hidy-ho and he'll fix you up(course, you wouldn't catch any more fish but you'll look so much better doin' it-p-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:14 pm • # 29 

If someone wants to try a furled leader, I will make you one and you can test it for your self. Free of course...at least for the first one. I make mono and thread for dry fly fishing. I like the thread, but you will have to dress them so they will float. Just shoot me a PM and I will get one in the mail to you.

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:32 pm • # 30 

I like the furled leaders made from florecarbon for wet flies and mono made for topwater fishing. A furled leader will almost last forever-p-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:55 pm • # 31 

Gene, you know that absolutely nothing would improve my casting. If the fly landed softly on the water the fish wouldn't hear it as well as they do when it SPLATS, and they wouldn't rush to it as they do now and fight over it, and I wouldn't catch as many fish.

Oh, I'll bet that you think that the times I hit you in the head with my flies were accidental, don't you? :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:47 am • # 32 

+1 on the flurocarbon furled leaders for wet and mono furled for dries. I tried the thread furled but I had a hard time keeping them afloat.

Don

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 am • # 33 
Administrator

Chris, how well do those rings on the Feathercraft furled leaders float?

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 pm • # 34 

It's either furled or straight mono for me. I hate extruded tapered leaders - no amount of pinch-rubbing and stretching will get rid of the coils, and energy transfer efficiency is horrid. Applying red mucilin on thread leaders seems to do the trick of keeping them afloat.

Les, with the F-C lightweight trout furled leader I haven't had any issues with the tippet ring bogging down the leader, but I tend to grease the mono furled leaders as well.

Cliff, I think of furled leaders as a way for maximizing energy transfer efficiency. Yes, you can "paint" a fly on target nicely with a furled leader with a soft cast. You can also use the energy transfer efficiency to make some serious waves with a hard cast. I've inadvertently made plenty of flies go *splat* when I first started using furled leaders; now I can control how hard they land.

I use straight mono when I fish my favorite local pond b/c I get sick of the panfish chasing and striking the tippet ring/knot instead of my damselfly nymph.

- Albert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 pm • # 35 
Administrator

Can't say it better than Albert.

Les, I haven't had any problems with the tippet ring sinking or weighing down the rest of the unit. I've found that if I keep the mono furled leader clean I don't need to grease it though I have on occasion greased one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:47 pm • # 36 

Basically for simple leaders I use the AJ McClane 60%(butt)/ 20%(Mid)/20%(tippet) works about as well as anything out there and are quick to tie. If it get fancier I use braided leaders from Orvis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm • # 37 

I'm a warm water fisherman, I fish for Bass and Bream mostly and sometimes Speck. 6-8' of straight 6 to 12lb mono or floro is all I use, never had any problem casting or laying a bug down in a small hole in the lilly pads. Most of the places I fish have far to much abrasive material ( vegetation, sunken wood, stumps, rocks, the occasional toothy reptile ) to spend alot of money on tapered leaders.
When I go over to the coast and flyfish inshore ( Redfish, Speckeled Trout, Snook, Small Tarpon ) I tie my own leader. 2-3 foot of 30-40lb hard mono, 2 foot of 20lb, 2 foot of 10-15lb sometimes I'll add a foot of 20lb "bite tippet" to that. Works well and cast good in the wind. Snook and Speckeled Trout are funny they'll run to a popper/fly slammed onto the surface where as Redfish in shallow water will scatter so you have to lay your cast depending on what your fishing for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 am • # 38 

okimoto wrote:
I saw a YouTube video a couple of years ago about hand-twisting mono to make a furled leader (not a "true" furled leader depending on who you ask). For my 3wt I use either #6 or #8 to make a 7' permanent leader section this way (I didn't like #4 mono I had), then simply attach a tippet material to cover the rest.

Exactly what I use! I twist up a 6' leader (usually 8# Mason line), add 18" of 8# line, then tie on 2' of 3 to 5X tippet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am • # 39 

Tapered. Furled to be exact, with ~18-24" of tippet stepped down to whatever 'X' I need to complement hook size.
Shorb loops on both ends of the leader, no rings, Improved Clnch to join tippet to leader, Blood or Double Surgeons to extend.
R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am • # 40 

I use a little of everything. +1 on the furled for dry flies. I do have a couple of compensated sinking furled leaders for nymphing and swinging wet flies. I modified 9' tapered mono leaders to 20' to 25' for chironomid fishing, and use ~4' of straight 3x mono with full sink lines.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 57 posts ] New Topic Add Reply