It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Super Braid for leaders
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 pm • # 1 

I have done a lot of testing using STREN "super braid". The one I found to work the best is 30# test / 8# Dia super braid. Use it as a leader for ANY dry fly. This stuff is really great for drys......it floats forever without ever putting floatant on it and turns over VERY nicely. I am using 4# test mono for tippet . The only oddity I found......for whatever reason, if you tie your mono tippet onto you super braid leader using a surgeon's knot.......it won't hold. When you pull it tight to test the knot, the mono tippet will pull right through. SO.............I tied a perfection loop on BOTH ends on the super braid. Loop to loop connection for leader to flyline....then tie a perfection loop in one end of your mono tippet for a loop to loop connection for leader to tippet. THIS really works great. It is very easy to put on a new piece of tippet any time you need to, and your leader never gets any shorter. I have been only using "tapered" leaders and floro tippet fishing wet flies now. If you want to make a wet fly sink "slower".....use the super braid leader and any tippet you want and your wet fly WILL sink more slowly. I have been using a 6 foot super braid leader with 3 feet of mono tippet. The Super Braid I have is a dark green and just about invisible in the water. I won't need to buy many more tapered leaders anymore. Next time you are in store that carries a lot of different fishing lines, take a look at this stuff. I love the way it helps float a dry fly............Good Luck..........Don S. in SC        Image 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Great info, Don! Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:41 pm • # 3 

Now that sounds like a good set-up....I've been using straight mono for as long as I can remember, but I'm gonna give that a try...Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:10 pm • # 4 

Don S.
I went to three different stores looking for the Stren Super Braid, couldn't find it. Maybe its last seasons line or something. The only Stren braided line I found was Sonic Braid. I picked up some Sonic Braid in 30lb test 8lb Dia (dark green color also) and tried it out today. One thing I noticed right off was a stronger hook set. No stretch in the line at all, just a quick positive hook set. My glass rod hook sets aren't up to par with my graphite rod hook sets, any advantage is welcome. I ran about 6' braid and 2' 6lb Flouro tippet. I twisted some up and double it over 3/4 the way down, will see how well that works also. As supple as the line is I think higher line speed may be critical with those long leader cast to keep her from collapsing. I really couldn't tell today, head wind was 15mph so nothing was pretty.

Thanks for the tip!

Jb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:11 am • # 5 

It looks like the sonic braid is taking the place of super braid.They say it a little better than the super braid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:47 am • # 6 

Are you just using a straight length of this stuff or are you making tapered leaders with it? I'm interested because I like limper leaders than even knotted mono and furled leaders spray too much; where I like to fish I can't false cast off to the side or I'd never get my fly back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 am • # 7 

Just a straight piece of the stren braid (Looks like the sonic braid has replaced the super braid). Then loop to loop for your tippet. This setup has really worked well. It works best with drys......Don S in  SC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 pm • # 8 

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:41 am • # 9 

Hello,.....this is my first post.....I just now saw this thread thought I would share the method I have been using to connect tippett to Super Braid......at the end of the braid use a lighter to create a small bump...then, just behind the bump tie a clinch knot in the tippet and slide it up against the bump in the braid. I have never had one fail.
You can also use this "bump method" to taper the braid by making a bump on differant dia. braids and tying a simple overhand knot and pull up tight. I have found that a wax such as SnoSeal boot treatment works good.
As Don S. says, Makes a great dry fly leader.
GM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:02 pm • # 10 

Welcome gmfishe.

I have yet to try this stuff, but should probably buy a spool and start experimenting.

---David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 am • # 11 

thanks for the info....think i will play around with them myself in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 am • # 12 

Standard practice in Japan--tie a figure eight stop knot in the end of the leader and a long loop in the tippet. Make a girth hitch in the tippet loop and secure it just above the leader stop:

http://www.animatedknots.com/girth/index.php

The loop is easy to loosen when replacing tippet, but won't come loose while fishing.
CC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm • # 13 

CC: In that the tippet would be coming off the leader at a right angle using the girth hitch, does it cause any hinging? Is the stiffness of the tippet a greater consideration as well?

---David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:21 pm • # 14 

Typical UL tippet (4-7X), is flexible enough that hinging isn't really much of an issue to worry about. Hinging looks worse in drawings than in reality. The advantage is that it's a good way to connect thin tippet to a heavier leader, and is less likely to slip (like with spectra lines).
CC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:43 am • # 15 

What is the fly line to Super braid connection? loop to loop?...nail?...needle nail? ...Whitlock splice? thanks

(editted to add...oops i see you use a loop to loop....will other connections work...I am not that big a fan of llop to loop on the fly line side...but have been using bimini loops on tippet for years....thanks again) (Btw my preference would be the needle nail knot or the glued in splice...but am unaware of how the braid may dig into the fly line or strip off the coating...or if the glue would hold....???)

I want to try this....sounds like a simpler way to do stuff....

The knots mentioned on the tippet end are reminiscent of some of the Tenkara knots...I too was originally wondering if they were somehow bogus coming off at right angles but it does'nt seem to matter....

Also anyone have info about the applications for sunk flies?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 am • # 16 

I use loop-to-loop, but any small neat knot that holds will be fine.......I was surprised to find that my usual surgeon's knot just will "KNOT" (pun intended) hold to mono or floro tippet. This braided line is now my standard leader materal ....unless I am trying to get a fly very deep......Then I go back to Florocarbon. For dry flies......The braided line is "Tha-Bees-Knees".
..............Don S. in SC............

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:27 pm • # 17 

Thanks Don....I am "knot" surprised (sorry, hehehehehe) That braid cuts through mono on a surgeons knot...I have that same problem with a mono leader to flouro tippet knot actually....some have said a triple surgeon works....I have to admit that sometimes if i snug slowly the mono to flouro surgeon works...but honestly I have'nt figgured out why sometimes it hold when most of the time the flouro just sliced right through the mono....

I actually love the idea of using braid for leaders provided it turns over dries correctly...I mean dries for trout with a delicate presentation rather than just flopping down a bass bug.

In my effort to continually streamline and simplify my kit that I carry on stream...a few years back because of this web site i started to not carry premade leaders and just started to spin up singapore twist leaders from tippet material (which I do carry) if I needed a new one on stream....something less to carry....

Having used braid off and on for a few years with spinning equipment...I have found that it lasts forever and is wicked strong....

Once you put a Stren super braid leader on your fly line...how often do you find that you need to replace it?...i figure you would'nt for years maybe forever?...but am curious what those who have been doing this have found out....

thanks....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm • # 18 

Since I replace tippet with a loop to loop connection to my braided leader, The leader doesn't need replacing very often......(it never gets any shorter) HOWEVER,,,,,,,I always run my fingers along my leader checking for breaks or rough spots at the start of each time I am fishing....and just every once in a while while fishing. If I find a "bad" spot....I will tie a perfection loop in each end of another 6' piece of braided line and replace the damaged leader........Way cheaper that tapered leaders, turns over dries very well and floats much better........Hope this helps..........
..............Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm • # 19 

But does a wind knot in 30 pound test braid matter? I would'nt think so....

are you saying you find frayed leader and just put some new in?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 am • # 20 

The 30 LB test/ 8 LB dia. braided line is very strong, a wind knot most likely wouldn't matter much. But, I for one, don't like "wind knots" (not caused by the wind....but by the fisherman). I would like to say I never get wind knots......but that would "KNOT" be true. If I DO notice the wind has played a trick on me and put a knot in my line......it is just about always in the tippet....not the leader. I just replace the tippet (or shorten it if it is near thr fly). If however I found one in the leader, I would replace it the next time I took a break...or moved to another location..(that's just me)...........Don S in SC

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply