It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 5 of 6   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Minimalists
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:35 pm • # 81 

I had the same thought re: the hole for the tippet. I assumed the hole was punctured from the outside. Again a look see inside the box would be cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:07 am • # 82 

pearow wrote:
I bet there's a ceramic bead glued to the inside-p-

Genius! I have some (probably 500) tiny glass beads left over from gluing them into the tips of my steel-tubed bobbins. I'll be doing this some time this week while the boys are at Cub Scout Camp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 am • # 83 

Steve that Altoid's set up is really cool. I use them too but never thought of that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:55 pm • # 84 

I am lucky enough to a lake that is a 5-7 minute walk from my home boiling with large rainbow trout so I usually just take my rod rigged up with a claret mohair Leech or a bead head Hare's ear.
When I fish the creeks that are a 2-3 mile walk from my home my load out is much larger. I carry a small back pack with a packable water proof jacket, Fly box, two spools of tippet, a package of indicators, fly floatant, two water bottles, and what ever other snacks I feel like taking.
For my favorite high mountain creeks I just use my Simms headwaters chest pack with the same stuff in it as my backpack for local creeks and a couple more fly boxes (usually my midge box and terrestrial box)
I also use a 3wt rod for all of this, whether I'm fishing for the 5lb+ rainbows that are abundant in the lake, the local creek boiling with 12 inch dry eager cutthroat, or the high mountain creeks full of weary surprisingly smart brook trout.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:24 am • # 85 

I like the idea of just the rod (already set up) small box of flies that easily fits in a pocket and 1/2 small spools of tippet and landing net.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:43 pm • # 86 

Lesson learned again here folks... :)

Rod and reel and this little pack ( normally used for holiday: camera ect..)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:56 am • # 87 

BH Spey wrote:
Here is IMHO, the ultimate minimalist pack that I just picked up for about $20 + shipping. With dimensions of (LxHxD): 4.5" x 3.5" x 1.75" holds one small fly box, 2-3 tippet spools and other miscellaneous accessories. I did replace the supplied shoulder strap (string) with a heavier nylon cord.

I have one as well. A C&F Designs threader box fits perfectly (if you are as old as I am, the threader comes in mighty handy). A small forceps, nipper, 5X tippet. Sometimes I carry a Tom Bihn sidekick in Dyneema should I feel the need to carry a bit more stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 pm • # 88 

Love this post. I started off with way too much gear (fell prey to the Orvis catalog). Over the last few years I have been trying to move toward a minimalist carry list. There is something really nice about limiting one's self when there are so many options out there.

I now fish with a group of guys who once in a while limit ourselves to three patterns when on the water. Nothing like fine tuning your presentation, reading water, and experiment with your rigging when you don't have the distraction of too many flies and gear.

Post subject: Thanks gang!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am • # 89 

Thanks for the replies.
It wasnt too complicated, I keep meaning to make a new one and improve on it a bit and do a step by step. Im pretty paired down to just that as of late. Its the tin, Forceps and a rod. If I have to take more I really stop and think about why I am taking more.
Minimalist fishing REALLY is more about just FISHING. And if you do not have that Fly or Tippet size you need, you get creative with presentation and become a better angler. Possibly.

There is ribbed foam inside I stripped from an old Fly Box I wasnt using. there is no bead inside the hole but I made sure to punch it inward and angle it away from the way the Tippet is spinning.
The Tippet is actually held snugly inside an old retractable keychain shell. Also where the belt buckle clasp came from.

I also use the dental floss cutter to cut tag ends. Its great because it cuts the tag and so far the tippet tag from the spool has never come loose. It stays snugly held in the cutter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:30 am • # 90 

When I go minmalist, I use a little chest/hip pouch Cabela's sent me as a free be with an order a few years back. Has belt loops and a 4' shoulder strap. It's roomy enough for two small boxes, couple tippet spools on the outer pocket (meant for them) plus floatant, a small dispenser for shot, and a couple other tools. I switch up the flies based on where fishing. I have an old Perrine aluminum tin that holds about 60 wet flies in clips, a cheap Okuma aluminum box with 6 windows for dry flies one one side and flat foam on the other for streamers/nymphs, I've got an old Caddis plastic hinged box that has ripple foam on one side and flat foam on the other, plus some Plano boxes filled with midges and streamers and small bass/panfish poppers. All I have to do is pick the right boxes, and the right size tippet spools and I'm in business.

I usually wear a chest pack though, and carry one large box, plus one small box, a stack of tippets from 1-7X, nippers/scissors, foreceps (sometimes needle nose pliars instead), spare leaders, shot dispenser, floatant, and strike indicators. It also has two pouches for water bottles in the back. Just depends on my mood which gear I grab. New to me waters = chest rig, familiar waters I routinely go light, as I paired my fly boxes down to a handful of patterns that work on those waters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm • # 91 

As a new member this topic drew my interest. Every year it seems I do more backpack fishing trips than the last. By now I've stripped down my requirements to what is necessary at the same time as having enough equipment to keep fishing enjoyable. All my gear except for whatever fly rod I take fits in this one pouch Image

Without the fly reel everything fits in this smaller camera bag: Image

Below is the assortment of equipment I keep with me on minimalist trips. One or the other reel (5wt Austin Forbes AL Magnesium or 2 wt BP UL reel) is usually part of the package.Image

I especially like the Streamworks accessory tools clip for it's compact size. I keep a micro set of pliers on it for de-barbing, etc. Image

I love the small tins for a fly box and while fishing just keep it in a pocket. Usually I use the TINY Altoids tin which holds dozens of flies of all types as well as shot etc. Occasionally I will use the smaller tin if it is just an afternoon. Enjoy! :-) Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 pm • # 92 
Global Moderator

Toquart wrote:
As a new member this topic drew my interest. Every year it seems I do more backpack fishing trips than the last. By now I've stripped down my requirements to what is necessary at the same time as having enough equipment to keep fishing enjoyable. All my gear except for whatever fly rod I take fits in this one pouch Image

Without the fly reel everything fits in this smaller camera bag: Image

Below is the assortment of equipment I keep with me on minimalist trips. One or the other reel (5wt Austin Forbes AL Magnesium or 2 wt BP UL reel) is usually part of the package.Image

I especially like the Streamworks accessory tools clip for it's compact size. I keep a micro set of pliers on it for de-barbing, etc. Image

I love the small tins for a fly box and while fishing just keep it in a pocket. Usually I use the TINY Altoids tin which holds dozens of flies of all types as well as shot etc. Occasionally I will use the smaller tin if it is just an afternoon. Enjoy! :-) Image Image Image

I really love this idea, but managing my fly boxes is a big thing for me. I could employ some of these ideas, but I will still have to use a Cliffs Days Worth fly box(not that that box is large by any means).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 am • # 93 

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. When I'm fishing on larger waters with full wading equipment or needing a larger selection of flies etc I take my full kit and a chest pack or a sling pouch.
-David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:24 pm • # 94 

So my question to you is:
"If you were in a jam and could carry only a rod and a small bag, what would go in it?"

Assuming you mean the total kit allowed, it would be these -

My neck lanyard, w/ tools.

A single box of flies, divided up this:

Non-specific, dry hackle flies
Wet soft hackles
Nymph patterns
Small streamers.

2 rolls of tippet, mono and fluoro
2 spare leaders (self tied)
Sinking tip
Small tube of micro shot.

Cigar
Lighter
Folding Stockman knife
(These last three because I rarely go fishing without them.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:55 pm • # 95 

:) Your list covers most of what I carry,I don't use tippet I use 4lb mono for 90% of my trout fishing with no problem,I also carry water,some chow,& a walking stick in the mountains polarized glasses also come in handy
:) Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:55 pm • # 96 

flyrod wrote:
:) Your list covers most of what I carry,I don't use tippet I use 4lb mono for 90% of my trout fishing with no problem,I also carry water,some chow,& a walking stick in the mountains polarized glasses also come in handy

When I say tippet, I mean small rolls of plain old mono, and regular fluoro.
Mono floats and I try to use it with floating baits.
Fluoro tend to be less floaty, so I reserve it's use for sinking baits.
But I'm not OCD about it.

The polarized glasses and a hat - I forgot those. Good reminder.
I usually also have cheese, salami and a few crackers. I get these things all over my fingers and then handle my baits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 pm • # 97 

I was wondering what your cigar of choice was ? Mine is usually Makers Mark cigarillos or now & then an Ashton But I still go back to tampa jewels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:05 pm • # 98 

flyrod wrote:
I was wondering what your cigar of choice was ? Mine is usually Makers Mark cigarillos or now & then an Ashton But I still go back to tampa jewels

Cigar of choice? For fishing?
Like you, I prefer a cigarillo. It's about all the cigar I can take... I'm a lightweight.
The one I go for usually is Black & Mild. Nothing fancy, I like the wood tips best.
I joined their little "club" last year and I get lots of coupons and gifts from them. So I remain loyal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:46 am • # 99 

A ff buddy of mine fishes with a wood tipped Hava-Tampa or Swisher Sweet clamped in his teeth while fishing. I love a good cigar (a REAL cigar) when the fishing's done, preferably with some aged rum or bourbon, but I can't stand to smoke while fishing. Smoke in my eyes and nose and the last time I tried it I burned through a tippet.

I really struggle with carrying too much gear. If I'm going brookie fishing or somewhere I know will only require a couple patterns I will just take a lanyard or use my shirt and wader pockets. But more often than not I want to be prepared for whatever I encounter. Also I tend to fish far from the car and need to carry lunch, a rain shell, water filter, tp, etc. and use the back of my fishing vest for these things.

Post subject: Minimalists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:22 am • # 100 

tiptop wrote:
A ff buddy of mine fishes with a wood tipped Hava-Tampa or Swisher Sweet clamped in his teeth while fishing. I love a good cigar (a REAL cigar) when the fishing's done, preferably with some aged rum or bourbon, but I can't stand to smoke while fishing. Smoke in my eyes and nose and the last time I tried it I burned through a tippet.

There is a distinct knack to smoking and fishing at the same time
You must hold your head a certain way, squint just so and certainly mind your line at all times.
I usually smoke in between the fishing, mostly while lounging and taking in the scenery. If I'm moving to another spot I may clnch the smoke a bit tighter and keep walking. But it's the in between times and the all-important Moment of Triumph* that I mostly light up
I've smoked 50$ stogies and 100$ whiskey, and it inevitably ends up an academic exercise. They are just rented, after all.
After the fact, I'd as soon have the money back and *tolerable* smokes and liquor in hand. If Ive learned anything, it is this:
A. Tolerance is a very individual matter.
B. There is always a point of diminishing return.

*Moment of Triumph - when you have caught the fish that meets your standards of excellence.

Quote:
I really struggle with carrying too much gear. If I'm going brookie fishing or somewhere I know will only require a couple patterns I will just take a lanyard or use my shirt and wader pockets. But more often than not I want to be prepared for whatever I encounter. Also I tend to fish far from the car and need to carry lunch, a rain shell, water filter, tp, etc. and use the back of my fishing vest for these things.

I'm also a "Gadgeteer." I prefer to have everything ever devised by Man that is both useful and gimmicky. But maturity arrives when one accepts that having everything isn't possible. You have FAR MORE latitude when afloat, which is why I like boats. But I limit myself to a sling bag when afoot. If it won't go in there without crowding, it is left behind.
This takes some planning, but mostly a good dose of discipline. If you cannot say, "I don't need this,"... or, "I havent used that in the last 10 outings," well... Minimalism becomes a burden, not a blessing.
Do what you can, take what you need - then refer to "A"and "B" above the rest of the time.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 5 of 6   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply