It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 1 of 6   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Minimalists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:55 am • # 1 
Administrator

Since weve moved over to our new home, I have going back and re- reading some older topics looking to see how the new board captured the content and to try to detect problems or inaccuracies. Luckily there are a few hiccups such as the strange coding in quotes found in cliff hilberts article on Non- technical fly fishing. It's a good article which describes his use of an uncle's fly rod to cheaper KMart gear to a better st croix set up. We've all been there. What stood out was cliffs use of straight mono leader for store bought popping bugs- he still uses this type of tackle.

This got me to thinking if I were in a pinch and could only carry one rod, a leader and some flies and perhaps a force up, what would I carry?

So my question to you is if you were in a jam and could carry onl a rod and a small bag, what you go in it?

Les

Post subject: Re: Minimalists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 am • # 2 

Along with rod and reel, I would carry 4-6x tippet and a small box with a few elk hair caddis, parachute adams and size 10 olive wooly buggers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:52 pm • # 3 

That is typically how I fish, so this isn't much of a stretch for me. Aside from my rod, reel, line, and leader, this is what I carry:

About the only thing that changes from what is pictured above is what flies are in the fly box. They change with the location and which rod I'll be using, but that is about it. By the way... Every item (with the exception of the fly box) also serves double duty. The "tin" of Mucilin serves as my line dressing (silk) and fly floatant. The micro-scissors/forceps handle nipper and forceps needs, the leather chamois dries flies, silk lines, hands, and serves as a line cleaner and dresser to boot. The tippet serves double duty, since I don't carry an extra leader, and figure in a real pinch I can always "twist" a new leader with the tippet material. And finally, the hook point of any fly in my box can serve as a "hook eye cleaner" since there isn't one incorporated into the forceps.

With a small pocket and belt loop, I can easily carry it all. No "bag" required. ;)

---David

Last edited by Utah David on Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 pm • # 4 

Saddly Im nota minimalist... but if I MUST choose this will be my list:

1.- 1 Small box with dryes and nymphs, no streamers
2.- a 6x tippet
3.- SFTB 761-4
4.- Orvis BLA I
5.- Nippers
6.- Forceps
7.- Floatant
8.- Tungsten Putty
9.- Knife
10.- Clear 2 Go water purifier (portable)
11.- Lighter
12.- Lantern
13.- Polarized Lens
14.- Sunblock

Tight Lines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 pm • # 5 

I am a minimalist in all walks of life...All I carry is my shoulder bag, a knife, and my rod. I like to travel light. I do the same as Cliff with the mono leader as presentation is not an issue with Bluegill, (That's what I chase) as they are attracted to a splash in the water. Cliff is a good writer, who summed up many experiences similar to my own. (And as a bonus, he's an LSU fan!!!) I may bring a few refreshments with me on a hot day, but for the most part it's me and one rod.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm • # 6 

I guess I go minimalist all the time. Normally I just put a box of flies in my pocket and my lanyard around my neck. Lanyard has floatant, tippet, forceps with scissors on them and a pair of nippers, leader straightener and a foam fly patch. I made the lanyard myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:35 pm • # 7 

I've been known to hit the water with nothing more than rod, reel, line, leader and a spool of tippet, plus a small pill box or candy tin brimming with two or three flies. If I'm wearing pants, I've always got a knife on me. A small sharp blade will cut tippet just fine. Almost any fishing spot will have twigs available that can be quickly turned into temporary hook removers. False casting will dry flies and leaders, and modern fly lines, if clean, float well enough. On longer outings, I add a small belt pack (my favorite is by North Face and made for runners, so it's super minimal) with a water bottle and a snack, and maybe a few more flies. I have had both a very small shoulder bag and one slightly larger for decades, but rarely carry either on the water, although they make for great tackle organizers to be kept in the car.
CC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:08 pm • # 8 
Administrator

I wear a lanyard. On it I have the small Orvis forcep/scissor combo, floatant, and two tippet spools. I carry a small fly box in my pocket, and sometimes a spare leader as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm • # 9 

I used to carry way too much stuff with me. But since this summer, I leave my vest at home and carry my $6.88 Walmart sling bag with two fly boxes, a spare leader, a small spool of mono for tippet - - -scissors and an "unhook-em tool" (both on a retractible lanyard) small bottle of floatant, small spray bottle of OFF repelant. In the truck I have a backup flyrod combo and a small cooler with bottled water. + Another fly box or two. (So far I have been lucky and haven't needed anything from the truck except the drinks (when I take a break or am finished fishing).....I like this a lot better than the ole vest stuffed to the bursting-point with stuff I didn't use...........Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 pm • # 10 

If I am needing to pack some gear along, say on a trail where I might be fishing awhile, I use a small hip pack...it has a bottle of water, a couple salted nut rolls (they are good for energy and they don't melt and the salt helps me retain water), a small fly box with a sample of this and that...depending on what I am after and what might be hatching, A couple spools of tippet, one extra furled leader, my small digital camera, some gink, hemostats...etc...oh I forgot...a snubbie 44 Special. (I have my CCW Permit)

If I am fishing a quick trips as mostly it happens, I put a few things in my pockets...small spool of tippet, a small aspirin container or a small plastic craft bead container that fits in a shirt pocket....full of flies, my camera on a lanyard around my neck and my hemostats clipped on my shirt or jacket somewhere. I just keep snacks on my car as it is unlikely I will be very far.

BTW- I hate vests!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:56 am • # 11 

Im trying to be more of a minimalist....but i have an illness... Im a fly fishing equipment hoarder and have the hardest time letting go.... :lol
I have tried going the lanyard route, but always feel naked with it... that im leaving some thing important behind.... the big problem for me with reducing junk i take with me is that i often fish way off the beaten path, have to hike in at least a mile or two to most places i fish.. so theres no going back to the car if i need something.... but thanks to posts like this there is hope for me yet ;)

Last edited by mike sharp on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 am • # 12 

Doing most of my non-fly fishing from a kayak, I am trying hard to get the gear load down when fishing as it is. I think my gear packing for trips is constantly driven by the 'what if' and not what is most likely.

Some of my fly fishing outtings on foot, I never make it far from the truck so a fly box, a few tools and spools of tippet around my neck and I am good to go. I wish I could carry that over to my kayak fishing trips, but I tend to still take a whole milk crate full of crap out there with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 am • # 13 

I have a small fanny pack that contains a pair of forceps, a nail clipper, two spools of tippet material for leaders and a box of flies - that's for when I'm fishing from the bank. When I'm in my tube I carry basically the same materials except when I'm bass fishing, then I usually have 2-3 boxes of flies.

Oh yeah, GEAUX TIGERS, BEAT BAMA AGAIN!!!!!

(I fixed the problem with the coding in my two articles. Thanks, Les.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:52 pm • # 14 

I have paired my gear down quite a bit,But the only time im a true minimalist is when I chase stocked trout.Then its 1flybox,forceps,nippers,1roll of 4lb mono for leader,camera & a bottle of water :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:08 am • # 15 

Going out today 3wt contest fly and couple others, 6 lb stren leader and some vosi's. Camera chair and diet coke....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:02 pm • # 16 
Administrator

I forgot to post these pictures.
For extra capacity I like the small Morell boxes - they are light, squishable and they float.
For really quick trips I throw some flies into an old pipe tobacco tin with a hinged lid. I put some small rare earth magnets in it to keep the flies still.
The other clear lidded box is one that I recently was given to try out. I like how small it is. It's waterproof which I don't really like all that much since it doesn't breath and allow flies to dry if I don't have a fly drying patch.
And of course, there's the obligatory Tealweight II. :)

I also like to carry along a zinger with diagonal nippers with a hone on it as well as a pair of small scissor/forceps. I would just carry the scissor/forceps but I need to have a hone with me and the nippers are the most convenient flavor.

I don't have a picture of this but I carry a small microfibre wiping towel on a small Night Ize carabiner along with a spool or two of tippet on a P-cord with a knot tied in it and a fender washer on top of it to keep the tippet still. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited by CBarclay on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:20 pm • # 17 

There are late summer afternoon times (which can be long here in Alaska) when i just carry the 182-4 SPLCA rigged with an #16-18 elk hair caddis and an #18-20 pheasant tail emerger on 10" dropper already rigged up in a rod case. No waders no nippers no flybox no tippet no tube/raft/canoe no nothing. Just ride till i stop at a smalltream (that i can hop over somewhere.) Fish till i lose the flies. Fire up the bike. Ride till it get's dark ( sometimes it doesn't here in Alaska.) Repeat the next time i feel like. The rest of the open water time in Alaska i carry it all ( read that too **** much stuff.) :-)

Last edited by interiorak on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:04 pm • # 18 

no matter how much I carry in my vest or my small fishing pack the fly I want is often the one I left at home. Hence, I carry lots of stuff. I like the weight of my vest. It feels good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm • # 19 

no matter how much I carry in my vest or my small fishing pack the fly I want is often the one I left at home. Hence, I carry lots of stuff. I like the weight of my vest. It feels good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:30 pm • # 20 

I have a necklace that holds forceps, nippers and two spools of tippet. I usually have a ton of flys stuck on the headband of my hat and thats it beside rod and reel of course

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 1 of 6   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply