It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 4 of 6   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Minimalists
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:53 am • # 61 

I have been eyeing one of these from JP Ross:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:23 pm • # 62 

Leather goodies are always enticing, but for me, these little (or big) pocket thingies that dangle always end up being more trouble than they're worth,especially when they have other dangly bits hanging from them. Cargo shorts with minimally filled pockets win every time. I do have a belt designed for trail runners that holds a water bottle at the small of my back (angled), and has a very flat little zippered pocket.

Is this our longest running thread now? If not, it's got to be close. Appropriate subject to be our longest on ULFF, at any rate.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 pm • # 63 
Administrator

I agree, those leather pouches look great but I prefer my cargo pants to most anything. I'm lured by nice bags and carrying apparatices but always go back to a good set of pockets unless I'm wading. Then I'll go with my Orvis Sling bag.

By the way, the Target near me has some good cargo shorts on sale. However, if you go there to try some on, be sure to put your pants back on before leaving the changing room. In my excitement of finding a nice pair of fishing shorts for a good deal a few days ago I accidentally walked out of the room wearing only my pants (in the British sense of the word). Never done that before!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 am • # 64 

rofl!!!! and now Mr. Barclay's mug shot for indecent exposure can be found on-line!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm • # 65 

I guess i'll go against the grain here. It doesn't matter to me how big the water is. I go full combat with waders, and full vest. I know where everything is without thinking about it, and I want it all with me. Just in case. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:16 pm • # 66 

here's my little bag; I think it cost about $6 on some surplus site but it holds all the stuff I need; its light and I waterproofed it-p-

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 pm • # 67 

If you waterproofed it why do you need the roll of paper towels to dry stuff off :lol

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am • # 68 

I actually have enough equipment; flies, rods, reels, etc.,etc. to start a retail business but if I don't carry just a minimum amount of gear, I spend all my time, looking for stuff; that is eliminated with the minimum amount of "stuff". I tried using a vest and spent most of my time trying to find stuff in all the pockets-p-

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am • # 69 

pearow wrote:
I actually have enough equipment; flies, rods, reels, etc.,etc. to start a retail business but if I don't carry just a minimum amount of gear, I spend all my time, looking for stuff; that is eliminated with the minimum amount of "stuff". I tried using a vest and spent most of my time trying to find stuff in all the pockets-p-

Just keep using it. You'll remember where it's all at.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:00 pm • # 70 

Here is my set up that I use most often. Boxes and leader wallet go into a pocket, or the pouch on my William and Joseph collapsible stripping basket.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 pm • # 71 

When I started fly fishing, I owned only three flies, size 10 or 12, I don't remember--they were pretty big though. Two were wets, a black McCafferty ant and some no name traditional wet style, all yellow with silver tinsel. The other was a dry Royal Coachman. I knew other patterns existed, but I lived in the south where they weren't readily available, and these three never failed to catch fish, so it was several years before I thought seriously of trying different flies. It was a good lesson in minimalism that I try to adhere to today, but difficult, as we fishermen tend to worship at the altar of more is better. A few flies, a spool of tippet, one extra leader for the occasional disastrous tree encounter, and the pocketknife that already has a permanent place in my pocket--all the tackle really needed for a day on the water. Skill and stealth will fill in for the rest of the gear. We will make it more complicated, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm • # 72 

I still wear a vest. Its Redingtons cheap priced Blackfoot River vest. Not very big, not a lot of pockets, but has held up very well over the years.

A small double sided fly box with about 30 different flies - combination of dry, nymphs & wets, 1 spool of tippet, a pkg of extra leaders, 'stats and nippers, and some floatant. I also carry a small fold-up aquarium type net, to see whats in the water.

The vest has a large rear pocket where I can throw in a small water bottle and some snacks...and life is good.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm • # 73 

I usually fish from a tube on lakes, but when I'm hiking in I can get stuff in one hip belt pocket.
Here are a couple pics of my stuff.

If I hike in and stay overnight, then I take the hammock along too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm • # 74 

About 20 Nymphs and Dries and another 6 Buggers in here. Along with a free spinning 3X tippet dispenser and built in cutter/tag holder.

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 pm • # 75 
Administrator

SteveE wrote:
About 20 Nymphs and Dries and another 6 Buggers in here. Along with a free spinning 3X tippet dispenser and built in cutter/tag holder.

;)

I love it! Very ingenious idea. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:51 am • # 76 

You could probably make those tins and sell 'em!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:07 am • # 77 

I love the innovation associated with fly fishing; this is a great example-p-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:24 pm • # 78 

SteveE wrote:

;)

Nice outside the box thinking :) . At first I didn't know what your tippet cutter/holder was make from until I flossed the cobwebs from my brain.

Anyway to see a peek inside the box? Do you have foam inside? I used an altoid box once and after a couple of days there was too much rust.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 am • # 79 

Love the tippet dispenser. I've been looking at some online, and man, are they pricey for anything that's not just a tippet "post."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:14 am • # 80 

I'll bet this is not his only "invention"! anyone thinking that advanced has some other projects. I'm wondering what prevents the hole in the tin from cutting the tippet? I bet there's a ceramic bead glued to the inside-p-

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 4 of 6   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply