It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm • # 1 

Has anyone used lightning strike stick on indicators for fishing midges/ emergers. I have had a tough time seeing and detecting strikes in breezy conditions. I think one or two of these pasted just above the tippet would work well as an indicator and becasue of the size would not affect the cast/presentation much at all. Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:07 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I don't use any of the stick on indicators. When I first started using indicators years ago, I made my own out of poly yarn. Last year I started using the small size Thing-a-ma-bobber and like it about the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 pm • # 3 

You don't have problems with the thingamabobber catching currents and dragging a midge or emerger? I would think it can make a decent splat when hitting the surface on a cast also. I could see using that for a nymphing indicator especailly in heavy water. I'll have to pick up a package and try them this year for nymphing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I don't seem to have an issue with them. I fish pools and slow runs in the streams I frequent. No fast water, panfish don't care for it. In fast current, any indicator will drag your fly along unless you do line mends.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:36 pm • # 5 

When I use midges or emergers size 20 or smaller I usually use a size 16 or so light Cahill or something I can see easily. If it dissapears I set the hook, it I get a rise t the dry, ya I set the hook. It casts easily and doubles your opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 pm • # 6 

same as Joe, but I use a greased body Goddard caddis. this is the one with the spun deer hair body. I find the Goddard fishes wet, so it is ok if it rides in the film. Once in a while you get a fish dry. it is rare to fish just a dry in warm waters w/o a dropper for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:16 am • # 7 

I prefer yarn indicators for big pools and I find they cast better for me compared to the thingamabobbers. I have not liked the foam indicators previously but I have not used the lightning strike indicator brand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 am • # 8 

I have been using a dry fly or small foam beetle fly above the midge - as stated before, double my chances. I call it a "topper and dropper." :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm • # 9 

They look like they would work. Cortland markets a small, foldable foam indicator that I use with my midge fishing when the takes are really light...it helps. Unless there is a reason to use another dry fly as and indicator such as a caddis hatch and a pupae dropper, I don't use one...waste of a good dry fly.....no sense using a caddis fly as and indicator in a december midge hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:24 pm • # 10 

They look to be a great size and colour for midge or emerger fishing.
When I started using stick on indicators, I couldn't find them that small. I punched my own from sticky foam tape.
They don't affect the cast and land lightly.

Try using three spaced out @ 8" - !0" when nymphing. An indicator does not have to be floating on the top to be seen and useful.

Drawbacks: Not easily/quickly adjusted to different depths. Leave a sticky residue on leader that can hinder sinking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am • # 11 

I use "Fish Pimp" indicators. You can see them on YouTube.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm • # 12 

I have tried the stick on indicators and also found that they leave a sticky residue and are not easily adjustible. I use poly yarn soaked in silicon then dried and cut into two inch pieces for use on fast flowing water. On ponds and quieter water for brim, a small popper.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm • # 13 

These days, I pretty much only use thingamabobbers if I am slingin lead under an indicator.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:54 pm • # 14 

Agree with sbreech's approach. May as well boost the odds!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:11 am • # 15 

I love them. Sometimes I have to fish a #22 or less emerger, or sometimes a dry... Place one of these a couple feet above and you are good to go. Helps me in super high pressure water.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:01 pm • # 16 

*edit I should have read the OP closer, regarding the use for Emergers and small dries :-[ .

I tried foam stick ons and *the adhesive didn't seem to work well for me on mono.

EZ Twist on Indicators are great on mono leaders that aren't longer than than the rod. They are also aerodynamic and secure so they cast well. As the name implies easy on and off. The small size would work very well a couple of feet above a small dry or emerger in rough water but it's not unusual to get strikes on the indicator instead of the fly.

All that said, I seldom use indies. If I was having a tough time with a small dry fly or emerger in rough water I too would probably try a big high floating EHC or foam hopper/attractor like a Fat Albert with the tiny dry or emerger on a long tag off the eye of the lead fly. Also, using a greased furled (flouro) leader with a 3 foot tippet helps me see where my dry is and the leader doesn't seem to significantly deter the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:55 pm • # 17 

I fish alot of small streams and use the Cortland or Palsa fold n stick indies. They work well and and dont affect my casting much. I just ordered the "New Zealand strike Indicator" it looked pretty neat. My buddy uses ones that he ties from egg yarn and soaks them in Loon Hydrostop, they float like cork.

Fredy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 am • # 18 

I got turned off to stick on or putty indicators very early on in my fly fishing. I switch up, depending on how I'm fishing, how big the flies are, and how fast the water is - between Thingamabobbers, small Thill slip floats (half an inch long, half orange half green and pegged at one end) and Yakima Bait Co. Corkies (which I've seen rebranded in fly shops as indicators) pegged with a tooth pick. I use the Corkies the most. You can rig them two ways - slide on and peg, or slide on, and wrap the line back through a second time. Pegging is easier and more secure.

The foam ones I tried before just didn't work well. They wouldn't stay afloat well, they left sticky stuff on my leader, and they became dislodged fairly easily. I tried some weird indicator putty stuff once too that I hated. It left nasty stuff on my leader that I couldn't get off, and that wound up in the rod guides and on my fly line. Nasty. Never again. I like to adjust my indicators when I use them, because the water never seems to be uniform in depth from pool to pool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 am • # 19 

I've been using "Curly Q" indicators described in George Daniel's book "Dynamic Nymphing. You wrap hi-vis mono filament around a dowel (12 wraps or so, hold ends with duct tape), boil for 2-3 minutes, put in freezer over night. Unwrap when you are ready to tie on to leader. On flat water and slight riffles they are amazing. No splat whatsoever. I have been having trouble on big riffles with them getting capsized and disappearing. (I experimenting with some alterations that might help this - won't know if I'm successful until I try later this month)

I start deep with tippet and will adjust by cutting back if I snag bottom too much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 pm • # 20 

Some years ago I was shown a great strike detector for those tiny flies. Just inserting a small amount of steelhead yarn into a double surgeons knot prior to tightening the knot. Trim the yarn to a 1/4" ball and coat with floatant. If you wish to remove the detector, just pull it from the knot and tighten the knot further.
The yarn I've used looks like this:
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Steelhea ... rs-UV-Yarn

Regards,

Don

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply