It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Roll Casting
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:56 pm • # 1 

I fished all day yesterday (literally), and at one point I just started screwing around with different casts. Kind of "casting practice" with the possibility of catching something. During this time I was trying different single-hand spey casts, and trying to understand some of the physics behind them. The Snap-T cast (along with the Dynamic Roll / Jump Roll) brought about an idea for a "modified" roll cast, which I tried, and it (eventually) worked really well. (So does the Snap-T by the way.) This cast is probably widely used, and likely already has a name. But I haven't seen it described before, so it was "new to me" regardless. Now this may be hard to visualize from a written explanation, so please bear with me.

In the standard roll cast you cant your rod out a little, and raise the tip to a position of roughly 2 o'clock. You wait for the "D" loop to form, and then (in essence) perform a movement that is basically your standard forward cast.

For this "roll cast" variation, I changed to a "sidearm" casting position. So instead of raising the rod in a "slow" overhead movement, I give it a short quick "backwards horizontal flip" to cause a sidearmed "backcast" loop to "collapse" lightly onto the water. I end this movement with my rod tip still "down" near the water's surface, as though I was "fishing the loop", and the line is "tight" off the tip top. (Think mending) My casting arm is slightly extended in the direction of the "backcast", as it remained where it "stopped" in this initial movement. (Thinking of this as a backcast without enough "energy", so the loop only went part way and then dropped into the water may be helpful.) I found myself saying, "Place the line." every time I performed it. And that is literally what you are trying to do: Place a "loop" of line to your casting side. And since I tend to "open" my stance when casting sidearm, it feels more like I'm placing the loop "in front" of me, and extending out toward my right side (being a right-handed caster). From there I perform a movement much like I was picking line up off the water for a typical sidearm backcast, only now it will be a forward cast. Which means a slowly accelerating "pull" is in order. And just as in picking up line for a typical backcast, you do not want to "rip" the line off the water's surface. Instead allow it to fully load the rod by slowly pulling it off as you move the rod tip forward. When you have reached the point where the line has almost "lifted", and the drag of the line will be lost, finish the movement by completing your typical sidearm "forward cast" to the target. I can't stress enough how this is just like lifting line and making your typical "sidearm backcast". You are just doing it in a forward cast to the target instead. As always, 180° is a key factor in the success, so be sure your "collapsed loop" is pointing roughly 180° from your intended target. And just as the size of the "D" loop directly correlates to the distance you can roll cast in a standard roll cast. The same holds true for the size of the "collapsed loop". Too small a loop and the line isn't going anywhere. Too large a loop and you might as well have just made a normal backcast. Just put enough of a loop "on the water" to anchor the line completely for the loading movement needed. (This "loop" is really nothing more than your "D" loop laying flat on the water.) The big difference in this cast is that your rod remains "low" the entire time, and the line on the water is an "anchor" for a longer duration than in your standard roll cast.

My experience with this, showed that I needed less acceleration than with a standard roll cast (but that acceleration still needs to be smoothly applied), and therefore it required less effort. After playing with it for awhile, I was able to "roll cast" with this technique a distance equal to or greater than what I could with a standard roll cast, and the line never got much above head-high (if that).

Give it a try, and tell me what you think, as well as what applications you see using it in. In my case yesterday, I used it to help overcome some headwind by keeping the line low to the water. But I could have used it in overhead cover as well, had that need occurred. I also noted how a soft full-flexing rod makes this cast easier to feel and execute, as the rod really stores a lot of energy in the loading move. But that really isn't a surprise to me, as I've always preferred a fuller flexing rod for roll casting.

---David

Post subject: Re: Roll Casting
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 pm • # 2 

David, depending on the different situations and positions you find yourself in one has to be pretty inventive....just the other day I also had to modify my roll casting technique, changed from the standard bring the rod straight back stroke to a bring the rod to my left, with a three quarter strong wrist flip to make a modified roll cast, it depends on what obstructions prevent me from executing the standard casting stroke ..I'll bet many fly fisherman are pretty inventive when they have to hit a certain spot with a fly rod ...tight lines. Paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:01 pm • # 3 

i don't quite grasp what you mean,but i just found this video and it might be similar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ibddi-rBxM

i'll try to read your post again tonight, you've gotten me interested.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:35 pm • # 4 

That is pretty much exactly what I'm doing. He puts an extra loop (or two) along side him, and I don't think I'm flailing around like him. But that is definitely the concept. I just did a very simplified version of it. Thanks for the link!

---David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 pm • # 5 
Administrator

That's kind of how I pictured it - thanks for the link, Thomas.
David, thanks for the explanation. I think it's a very useful iteration of a great cast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 pm • # 6 

One other thing I noticed in watching the video again (over and over). He has a "lifting" move at the end, and then brings his rod "vertical" through the forward cast. I did not do this. I was basically making my forward cast when he places a "second loop". And my rod tip never goes back into the "vertical plane".

It really is surprising how far you can cast this way, and now I can't wait to try the multiple loop Tongariro version. With all that line "anchored" I would assume you could cast even further.

---David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm • # 7 

Looks like he has a short haul before he flips the line back out for the cast. Watch his left hand at the end of his casting stroke. He makes a quick pull before he shoots the line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 pm • # 8 

I will use a roll cast when there are bushes or trees behind me.....but I have never been able to get very much distance. I may try this technique with a little "haul" and see if the distance improves.....(just not my favorite cast) Don in SC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm • # 9 

A lot of times I use a roll cast if I am fishing on the surface and bringing in my line when a fish hits. With your rod back preparing to lift the line for the next cast it is easier to throw a quick forward roll cast which puts tension on the line and hooks the fish. It is easier that trying to raise the rod that is already in an awkward position to set the hook.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:18 pm • # 10 

I can't seem to cast very far when roll casting with rods under 8'. When I used to use a 9' 5wt., I could even shoot a bit of line with a roll cast. I have tried the Tongariro Roll as well as the Jump Roll and can do them okay. Oh well, I hardly ever roll cast since there's usually enough backcast space where I fish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:02 pm • # 11 

Try this one.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDPIn0L ... re=related

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:42 am • # 12 

jsentell wrote:
I think "The casts that catch fish" videos are extremely well done, and provide some great information. I've watched them all (multiple times) and have seriously considered purchasing the full video for my "library". Their trailers for Itu's Bones, and Once in a Blue Moon are also great fun to watch. But the video you linked to is just a basic roll cast. Granted a very good one, but your "garden variety" all the same. So it really isn't as applicable to what I was doing as the link that ThomasR provided.

Thanks all the same though.

---David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 pm • # 13 

My problem with the video on roll casts is in the first 3/4 of the examples.

Notice how he casts very consistant Tailing Loops.

The Tailing Loops go away when the haul is added to the forward cast.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 am • # 14 

fkrow wrote:
My problem with the video on roll casts is in the first 3/4 of the examples.

Notice how he casts very consistant Tailing Loops.

I may be wrong, but what little I think I know, leads me to believe that you are confusing the "crossover" of a line that is "below" the rod tip (as in a roll cast) with a tailing loop where the line is "above" the rod tip, but the line "drops" below the tip on it's path forward (or backward).

What I see in the video (Casts that catch fish) is a line "rising" from a lower position, not one traveling above the rod tip and then "dropping" below it.

If the roll casts in the video jsentell linked to are considered tailing loops, then every roll cast I ever make is a tailing-loop too. (And I'd sure like to see a roll cast that isn't. Not to mention the numerous spey casts that also use water to "anchor" the line below the rod tip to begin the cast.)

In my opinion, the video shows some excellent roll casts, and gives some pretty sound advice on how to make them. I just don't think it was really applicable to my original post.

---David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:43 pm • # 15 

Hi David,

In my opinion they are most definitely Tailing Loops. Watch his rod hand make the forward cast, it travels in a arc (windshield wiper casting). The upper loop of the line unrolls Under the Lower loop.

Now check out Lefty Kreh at a fishing show help out with a FF having problems with tailing loops. Notice the discussion on rod hand travel in a straight line vs. arc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U_FnbGfc0I

My fishing partner and I teach spey casting on weekends in CT. Over the past five years we have taught approx. 200 students. In the attached video URL, note the spey cast with the forward cast immediatly flowing over the top of the rod tip and never hangs or stays below the unrolling lower line loop. These videos are not very clear, we have been given some bright orange spey lines by Simon Gawesworth of Rio and I will attempt to take some additional shots with better definition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAkaHHl ... e=youtu.be

Additional information is on the Facebook site - New England Spey Clave

I will also make up some casting videos with single hand rods and spey casts, using bright orange lines.

We are a few weeks away from opening a web site strictly for casting education, we do not guide, sell retail or work for any flyshops. We only teach --> Spey Casting - North East. Two retired old guys giving back to the sport we have enjoyed for so many years.

Thanks for the discussion, this is how we continue to learn from each other.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:16 pm • # 16 

FK,

I too appreciate the discussion, and it causes me to re-think / analyze things many times over. But in this case I think we'll have to agree to disagree, as I'm just not seeing tailing loops in the video.
That may be because of failing eyesight, casting ignorance, or both. But regardless, for the moment, me and my "tailing loop" roll casts will live in blissful ignorance.

Good luck with your new venture.

---David

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply