It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 am • # 1 

I have had a few terrible tangles when fishing with droppers in the past. I am going to give them another try and was curious how some of you good folks tie/rig for fishing droppers on UL fly gear. Some of the knots that you use as well as spacing.....etc
(a picture is worth a thousand cast).............Thanks................Don in SC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 am • # 2 

Here's how I do it (sorry, no pictures):
  • I usually have my dropper fly suspended 12" to 24" behind/below the dry with 18" being my usual standard.
  • So, I cut a length of tippet a few inches longer to give me some working length for my knots.
  • I almost always drop down one size in tippet for my dropper compared to my dry. If I'm using 5X tippet coming off my leader (tied to eye of dry fly hook), then I'll use 6X between the dry and dropper.
  • I tie the tippet to the dropper using the "Cross Creek" knot :) or a duncan loop/knot.
  • I then tie a duncan loop in the other end of the tippet.
  • Slip the empty loop at the end of the dropper tippet (duncan loop) onto the bend of the dry fly and cinch it down.
  • That's about it
  • I usually cast with a more open loop with a dropper than when fishing a single fly to avoid catching the rod/line on the dropper.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 am • # 3 

I just open up the loop when casting and try to tie a smaller fly or the same size fly than the point fly (the one nearest to the leader). I do not use strike indicators

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 am • # 4 
Administrator

I'm with Don on this one. I've fished droppers but find it frustrating to cast. I probably need to hear more tips (thanks so far guys) and practice more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm • # 5 

2 hooks on 1 line = snag something I learned as a child that still holds true today.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm • # 6 

I usually fish one fly when I fish for gills and most warm water species. It is when I fish for cold water species that I use a two fly rig. If I am using a strike indicator I tie the larger fly at the end of the leader and then add about a foot to eighteen inches of tippet to the bend of that fly and attach a smaller fly as the dropper off the bend. This works well in medium, slow or still water situations. In fast water I don’t use a strike indicator and instead of tying to the bend of the hook I put the smaller fly above the bigger one off the tag left when tying on the last piece of tippet ( around 18” above the bigger fly) making it easier to stay in contact with the fly and feel the take.

The only time I do three fly rigs is when I am float tubing a lake and drifting with the wind. Then I may put a big dry on first followed by 3’ to a small nymph then 2’ and a larger nymph at the end, or it may be three nymphs in a row. These call for a very wide open loop on the cast and and extra line is then stripped off the reel and I fin back from the flies rather than trying to make a long cast with this setup.

Standard dry dropper is an attractor dry with a small dropper nymph either tied off the bend or the eye of the first fly anywhere from 6” to 18” below. The key to any dropper rig is casting a wide open loop and making a D cast where you come up around the D as you lift the fly off the water and cast it forward on the straight side of the D. This keeps the dropper from coming back over the line and snagging it. The dropper is like the kid on the end of a rope and is accelerated through without hanging up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 pm • # 7 

Thanks guys......Good stuff, I guess I never thought about casting with more of an open-loop. (that will cut the distance down a bit to say the least) Whenever I throw an open loop, I feel like I have reverted back to a beginner's cast......(I call this the "windsheild-wiper" cast) That is what a beginning caster's stroke usually looks like to me. Never-tha-less, I am going to give the "dropper" another try. I am taking the God-Children out on the 19 ft pontoon boat tomorrow. They are ages 4, 6, and 7......I have rigged three "bream-buster" poles for them to fish with and stopped by the grocery store and bought 5 clams. The Sunfish and Red-Ear will fight one another over clam bits on a size 12 hook. ( I crimped the barbs on their hooks in case anyone gets "stuck") You will get a lot more hook-ups with clam meat than you will with crickets. I expect lots of squeals and laughter tomorrow, will try to get some pictures...(this is the first time they have ever been fishing or on a boat).......Don in SC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 am • # 8 

You will have your hands full but don't forget to take a lot of pictures :) These are the times that they never forget and will talk about years from now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 am • # 9 

Good on ya for taking the time to get them young'uns out on the water.
Be safe, and have FUN!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:28 pm • # 10 

On this side of the pond and in the Yorkshire rivers I fish I often fish teams of spiders or as you guys call them soft hackles, I fish teams of three and always use the three turn water knot for forming the droppers. Droppers and the main tippet are formed from the same line. I use 3 lb stroft. I think using the same line and that knot gives better presentation. Personally I would keep droppers to no more than 9 inches and have about 18 to 24 inches between them. Here is a U tube link for the knot I have used it for years it has never let me down when tied correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJ5GKFul_g

As for tangles slow your cast down, open loops help. But for me the key to it is a middle to tip or better still all through action rod. I use a 25 yr old bruce and walker graphite river rod for spider fishing. Its through action is perfect for this kind of fishing. Modern fast action rods are hopeless. Also like many things practice helps.

Tight lines

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Andy, thanks for that link. I've wondered if that knot would be a good solution for a dropper but haven't tried it or heard of it being used. I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:54 pm • # 12 

The three turn water knot is the same as a surgeons knot with three turns here in the states. I have used it to connect tippet pieces and do the same as you leaving the tag on when using a dropper. I would classify it as a 100% knot or very close to that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 pm • # 13 

Thanks, Andy................That's a better way to make a dropper than I was using...........Don in SC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:25 pm • # 14 

Andy...thanks for the site on dropper knots. That's some good info.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 pm • # 15 

Andy that is great use for what I understand is a Surgeon’s knot. I use it for tapered leader (after use shortens it too much) to tippet but I will try it for a dropper and not trim off the lower tag end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm • # 16 

I use this knot exclusively for joining tippet to leader. Never thought about using it for a dropper rig.
Good info.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 am • # 17 

You can do the same thing with a blood knot as you can do with the water/surgeon's knot. Plus the tag end comes off at a right angle.

When fishing 2 subsurface flies, here is what I do. It's much more tangle free than tying the tippet for the second fly to the first fly's hook shank. Tie the larger fly on the tippet. Then tie the tippet for the second fly through the eye of the the first fly. Clinch knots are all that's needed, but feel free to use the Davy or CC knots.

--Rich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:52 am • # 18 

I normally use a heavier leader for the dry fly(usually a hopper) then tie a 18" tippet of smaller diameter to the bend of the Hopper and use a small Zebra midge on the end for the dropper. As far as knots go, I use either a perfection knot or an Orvis knot and have never had a problem. All good advise here. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 pm • # 19 

I am really moving away from multiple flies....too much hassle, too many tangles, even when you try to be careful...few are good enough to never get tangled...in fact, unless I am am fishing stillwater, I seldom fish a sinking fly anymore let alone multiple sinking flies. However if I am so inclined...I tie a loop in the leader to push through the eye of a fly and loop back over. Below is a link:

http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php

For me, as simple as I can keep things with the least amount of knots, junctions or additions to the leader just makes for a more enjoyable fishing experience, whether it produces fish or not. But hey, that is just me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:06 pm • # 20 

For a single dropper I use an overlength tag from a straight untucked blood knot. I attach this to a tippet ring.

I always found shop bought tippet rings too big for lightweight rigs, so I raid the girlfriends jewellery box and use links from a silver necklace, surprisingly strong.

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply