It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 pm • # 21 

Beautiful flies! I started swinging with my UL on accident early in my fly fishing career and absolutely love how hard the fish take while swinging!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 pm • # 22 

Great thread. Beautiful flies. Davy Wotton's "Wet Fly Ways" DVD opened my eyes to fishing wets upstream, down and across. His "Wet Fly Tying DVD" taught me how to fill my box with good looking and effective winged wets and soft hackles. Dave Whitlock wrote a pithy article describing how he implemented Davy's methods, an article which is still available on Dave Whitlock's website.

I now fish wets almost all the time. This past weekend Penn's Creek provided great fish when I fished a two fly cast of Wotton's Black and Silver spider #16 and a #12 soft hackle of my own design, silver holographic tinsel body, small UTC red wire rib, wine thread thorax and a starling hackle. I used Hanak hooks from performanceflies.com for the black and silver spiders, and they worked great. I lost my footing on some bottom boulders playing a fourteen inch brown, and that barbless hook still got the job done. I'm planning to tie more wets on Hanak hooks, in addition to my usual Kamasan hooks (B175, B170, B160).

No indicator, no need to wait for action on the top, and great results in all kinds of situations, wet flies are fascinating, beautiful and beguiling. I like the fact that their ways are subtle. It will take a long time to figure out what works, in what conditions of light, water clarity, water speed, etc. I can show a new fly to Davy Wotton and he'll predict in what conditions the fly will work! I am scouring old books like A. Courtney Williams'. "A Dictionary of Trout Flies" to try and assimilate that kind of knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 pm • # 23 
Administrator

Bocast,
Really nice post. Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:01 pm • # 24 

I too love swinging soft hackles and emergers. Most of my trout fishing is on the Lower Mountain Fork River in Oklahoma. It is a stocked tailwater that is developing a nice population of native rainbows and some browns. Most people fish nymphs and a lot of nice trout are taken.

I find nymphing too boring. Laying out a nice down stream cast, waiting for the fly to rise and the solid strike are so satisfying. Better yet, it produces on days when other methods don't. This summer we went to Smoky Mountain NP. I had about 2 hours to fish so I just found a spot and started drifting a soft hackle. I found a seam that was holding fish and started getting looks and a couple hits. Doing some research, I had read the BWOs were common in the park. An olive RS2 did the trick. Same seam and same cast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:51 pm • # 25 

Thanks keebranch! I can tell I'll learn a lot here, and may be able to justify a rod lighter than the 3 and 4 wts. I fish now...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:54 pm • # 26 

Padre, that sounds fun. What size olive RS2 did you use? A #16?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:32 pm • # 27 

It was a 20. Fishing that mountain river was so different than the Oklahoma tailwater. Crystal clear water and a light stone bottom seemed really strange, but so cool. I plan to go back next spring and spend a couple days of serious fishing. The park is beautiful and there is so much fishable, and accessible, water. All the fish in the park are native. Most are on the small side so a 3 wt is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 pm • # 28 

Crystal clear mountain water, an ultralight rod and wet fly techniques sounds like a recipe for bliss.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:23 am • # 29 

Bocast, thanks for the heads up. ..gonna search for that DVD on the devil bay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:45 pm • # 30 

Simonuca, you'll love those DVDs. The Wet Fly Ways is an extremely popular fly fishing DVD, deservedly so. And the Wet Fly Tying DVD is all you need to crank out at immense variety of winged wets, North Country spiders and soft hackles in general. It is like learning how to grill, saute, roast, braise, bake, steam, stir fry, poach, slow cook and broil for cooking..just change the ingredients and apply the same principles to get whatever you want as the result.

Dave Whitlock sells those two Wotton DVDs on his site, too. Also there on Whitlock's site is the PDF of Whitlock's 2011 article on old school wets which is well worth reading. I see he has another wet fly article coming out in the fall for Trout Unlimited's publication. I always enjoy reading Whitlock's articles; I'm looking forward to that one.

The books out there on wet fly fishing are not as informative on the actual fishing techniques. The DVD is key.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:04 am • # 31 

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 am • # 32 

Could I ask if your swinging on a tight line, or fishing with a small bow in the line. With a bow the flies drift with the current rather than come up in the water. I've found you hook more fish with a bow, and get less snatches.

Either way it's a often neglected technique. On some waters approaching fish from downstream is difficult, so it's a good way to cover water not often fished. Thanks for the reminder.

Richard.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:18 pm • # 33 

On many of the cutthroat streams (and even for rainbows on several rivers), soft hackles can be extremely productive.

On a the cutthroat streams, especially once the caddis are getting active, a simple soft hackle hare's ear pattern can be awesome. While I've tried many different variations and types of hackling feathers, I have settled on tying them with no tail and using guinea hen for the hackle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:33 pm • # 34 

bocast wrote:
No indicator, no need to wait for action on the top, and great results in all kinds of situations, wet flies are fascinating, beautiful and beguiling. I like the fact that their ways are subtle. It will take a long time to figure out what works, in what conditions of light, water clarity, water speed, etc. I can show a new fly to Davy Wotton and he'll predict in what conditions the fly will work! I am scouring old books like A. Courtney Williams'. "A Dictionary of Trout Flies" to try and assimilate that kind of knowledge.

I'm fairly new to fly fishing, and I'm starting to think that wet flies might be what I'm looking for. I've got a 6' 2wt. I like casting dries but I don't get many hits. I don't like casting beadheads with an indicator, too much weight, I'd rather use a spinning rod. A wet fly with no indicator sounds like it might be perfect for me.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply