It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 pm • # 1 

MtRainier wrote:
Brian_Miller wrote:
My entire kit with everything I need for daytrippin' including Outcast Trinity float tube, my old Browning flyweight PVC coated waterproof waders, fins, inflatable PFD, wading jacket, net, Bernoulli bag pump I made, food, and water filter bottle; everything needed for an emergency bivvy, fits into / lashes onto my Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack, and weighs about 20lbs total.

Brian, I am interested in what you used to make your Bernoulli bag pump, and how you were connecting it to your valves.
I have thought about using a food saver roll, but it is kind of heavy. I have heard of using Diaper Genie refills, but I am thinking it might be too light and tear. So I am still looking. I would like something about as strong as a good trash bag. In order to not hijack this thread more, maybe you could do a separate post on it??
Thanks!

I had a couple of questions about my homemade Bernoulli bag pump so I thought I'd provide some detail for anyone wishing to pack a deflated float tube or pack raft into the backcountry.

I made the pump after trying an Instaflator ultra-lightweight Bernoulli Bag pump I got from Flyweight Designs for a few bucks to use with my lightweight but durable Outcast Trinity float tube to help get everything I needed for a day trip into a 1500 cubic inch Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack.

The Bernoulli principal is high volume = low pressure. The Instaflator's bare nozzle is the same size as any inexpensive hand pump so the Trinity adapter fit right onto it. The Instaflator might have worked OK but I didn't know until it was too late that a higher pressure is needed to overcome the Trinity's Summit valves than the pump could deliver and the plastic Mylar balloon thin tube material was ruined when I squeezed it too hard. Then I got the idea that by sticking the larger of the two air mattress adapters included with the Instaflator up inside the Trinity adapter that it would fit onto the pump nozzle and depress the valve to allow air in and a test showed it worked. However the pump bag was already ruined and even had I thought of using the valve depressor first, I don't think the thin plastic bag would have lasted for long.

So I took 7 feet of tube off of a roll of heavy duty "Seal a Meal" - "Food Saver" vacuum freezer bag material. I V'd off one end of the plastic tube leaving a hole for the pump nozzle by heat welding with the Food Saver-Seal a Meal and trimmed off the excess. Then I fed the V end of the plastic bag tube through the PVC Flytepacker adapter then pushed the nozzle into the plastic tube inside the PVC adapter to wedge in the plastic tube. A couple of strips of Gorilla duct tape over the excess tube and the nozzle ensures the bag won't separate from the nozzle.

The Trinity's Summit valve adapter is on the left with the air mattress adapter inserted that depresses the spring loaded Summit valve. Both fit nicely onto the pump bag nozzle. Since the Instaflator's bare nozzle is the same size as any inexpensive hand pump, you might be able to cannibalize a cheap hand pump to get the parts, or you can buy the Instaflator from Flyweight Designs for a few bucks to do the conversion; and I won't feel like I'm ripping off Marty Miller (no relation) at Millair or Flyweight.

As far as weight and size is concerned, the pump rolls up to about the size of a folded (down the middle) kitchen dish towel and weighs 4.25 ounces on the kitchen scale; about 2 ounces more than the Instaflator, and my pump is nearly bombproof. The pump fills the Trinity tubes and seat to about 1.5 to 2 lbs which is the correct pressure in about 5 minutes or so but it may need a topping off if cold lake water lowers the pressure in the tubes. I carry the pump with me and pull in near shore to top off.

Hope that helps. BTW in this pic, the Trinity is slightly under-inflated. This was it's maiden voyage and it took a little time to figure out just how much pressure was needed. Then it was great!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:17 pm • # 2 

Thanks for the post Brian. I received my Foodsaver rolls and will be making this pump over the holiday. I found the Trinity for $309 online.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:53 pm • # 3 

Thanks! I appreciate you posting up the details of your adaptations. Good job on the pump!

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply