It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Nose Grease
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:41 pm • # 21 

I used to take the ferrule of my fishing rod and roll it in the crease on the side of my nose. Is that close?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm • # 22 

Joe C wrote:
For years now I actually never even break down a rod. I have them all on pegs with their own reel and when I want to switch what I plan to fish it is just a matter of swapping out rods. I also bought a van for fishing and have a rack set up that will hold six assembled rods :) Makes my life much easier :P

Exactly what I do :rollin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 pm • # 23 

The reason the rods companies recommend paraffin products is ....righto, so they can sell it ......

Newtyer ...you got it thats exactly what nose grease is..works everytime and your never without it and you don't have to store it in a container ....

Forehead grease is also good if you run out of nose grease :rollin :rollin make absolutely sure not to mix forehead grease with nose grease :rollin :rollin oh man this is some funny s#*t...ill think of a reason not to mix forehead and nose grease :rollin :rollin funny stuff ..

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:40 pm • # 24 

JoeC ...whoa, a fishing van ??? .I gotta know more about that .. If ya never break down a rod guess ya don't ever need a lubricant .. Gotta think the greater majority on here buy multiple piece rods and break em down to store and some are very conscious of packability & size in fly rods so lubing ferrules occasionally come into play ...

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 am • # 25 

Just because folks greased ferrules in the day does not make it a good idea. I find that with nickel silver you want to keep everything as polished as possible. If a ferrule is wet it can set a little too deep. Lubricant dries and ferrules are galled.

A little wax can snug up a loose ferrule, which is the exception.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 am • # 26 

I've used nose grease for 50 years with no noticeable effect on rod ferrules; also use the grease that is under the ear lobe; I use wax on old rods with loose ferrules; when I clean a rod, which is usually about once a year, i lubricate the ferrules with beeswax, which is really bee saliva, then thin it out by rubbing with a leather strap; it lasts a long time. But, I also use wd-40 to get water out of dunked reels so I'm probably out of sinc-p-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 am • # 27 

What, no one uses Boudreaux's Butt Paste???????

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:28 am • # 28 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
What, no one uses Boudreaux's Butt Paste???????

Is that anything like crack spackle?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yICoZNmTCo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 pm • # 29 

Its about time you two got off your butts and imparted your knowledge re greases to us .......Now we got the pro's into the mix ...ear lobe grease, wow, never thought of using it. Thats is another option to go along with
Nose and forehead grease....and I prefer beeswax over any of the commercially made silicone stuff available on the market ..I got a small bar of beeswax ill bet going on 15 years now .... Another interesting, informative and humorous I may add, thread on ULFF ....gotta love it ... :applause :applause

Gene ...do you use nose grease to polish your pipe bowls? Had a friend who was constantly wiping the pipe bowl on the side of his nose ..thing had a mirror finish ..

Out of sinc are you kidding me ..you are the gospel on this kinda stuff ...
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm • # 30 

I have almost broken a rod trying to seperate pieces by holding the pieces behind my knees and pulling the pieces apart. Amazing how tight the pieces can stick together.
Nose grease definately works and cannot be left behind with all the other things you should have brought with for a successful trip on the water. But it is no good if you don't use it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 pm • # 31 

LC ... Ain't many times you leave your nose home right ? :-\ :-\

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 pm • # 32 

Panfisher1 wrote:
JoeC ...whoa, a fishing van ??? .I gotta know more about that .. If ya never break down a rod guess ya don't ever need a lubricant .. Gotta think the greater majority on here buy multiple piece rods and break em down to store and some are very conscious of packability & size in fly rods so lubing ferrules occasionally come into play ...

Paul

With retirement a few months away I needed to look at buying something to drive. I have had company vehicles for over 45 years so I looked at what I do and what would work best. A van will fit four float tubes (inflated) plus four people or two people and two 10' kayaks inside. On solo trips a field I can even sleep it while still having room for gear. It just made more sense that a SUV type vehicle since here in the east I do not need to get off road like you guys out west. It also rides better and will allow me to travel to more places I want to try fishing at. I have a set up for holding six rods assembled inside it along the roof so it keeps the floor space open and reduces the chance of rod breakage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm • # 33 

Even me at the bottom of the world knows about it. I use bee wax, and no... I don't pick bees noses lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm • # 34 

Joe, sounds like a plan to me, and a good one like all your undertakings ..you
Got all bases covered my friend ... I've spent many a night sacked out in my SUV out west ...always have a sleeping bag, my Svea cooking stove, freeze dried food.... All the comforts of home ..lots of good luck on your retirement ... Most important thing you got to be mobile, able to move from place to place without much fuss ...you cannot beat travelling the country in a vehicle having all the time in the world to accomplish it...I drove from West palm beach florida to Portland Oregon sightseeing and fly fishing, it took me nine wonderful leisurely weeks, going to do another route again and soon ....

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:36 am • # 35 

If any of you guys make it to Austin, Tx let me know I will put you on some Huge Perch from a yak if you like :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am • # 36 

joe; i think your selection of a retirement vehicle is right on; a van seems to be the perfect fit for a flyman to keep his rods assembled; haul his tubes securely, and provide a decent cabin for overnighters. I have been thinking of an alternative to my half ton dodge pickup. A friend and fellow flyman has a van and sez it'l haul anything a pickup will and do it out of the weather and secured behind locked doors. I just need to find one that'l get 40 mpg!!!!!!-p-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am • # 37 

I am still drooling over a Sprinter as the official retirement abode. But the synthetic lube pricing seems huge.

Oh it is important to only stroke the nose in one direction and not twist or you risk damaging the parts involved.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:41 pm • # 38 
Administrator

blufloyd wrote:
I am still drooling over a Sprinter as the official retirement abode. But the synthetic lube pricing seems huge.

Oh it is important to only stroke the nose in one direction and not twist or you risk damaging the parts involved.

I was going to suggest a sprinter too. They make great work vehicles and I can only imagine how nice they'd be as a mobile fly fishing HQ.

Blu, excellent point on the nose grease. :rollin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 pm • # 39 

This am went UL LM bass fishing, took out my favorite three piece combo rod, put the sections together using for the first time ear lobe grease,.... Didn't need much but noticed a neat phenomenon ...my ear lobe grease had a distinct aroma of menenen men's after shave lotion .. Now my rod not only went together perfectly but it also smelled nice. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Also caught two 12 inch LM bass and LDR'D a 3 lb+ bass ... Pi#%ed me off royally ...thought I as hung up on something ...came outa the water once and it was gone .. >:( >:(

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 pm • # 40 

Please no more secreations :rollin :rollin

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply