It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm • # 21 

I like Cross Creeks explanation, it all depends on the water you are fishing and what is needed for the presentation. Again depending on the water I would say be happy with the cast that drops softly and together on the water. Cross Creek mentioned all the variables, types of line, length of leader, size of fly etc,etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm • # 22 

;D Okay maybe not all of you caught my humor in my original post I'll try and be a lil more serious.

I don't believe there is one "Perfect Cast" there are just to many variables, different types of waters and fish. This past weekend I fished two days at Mosquito Lagoon chasing super spooky super wary highly pressured Redfish tailing in a foot of crystal clear water. They where demanding a super light Touch, light long leaders with a small toad fly, don't show them your fly line, don't splat a bug. They where so demanding my partner went fishless most the morning and finaly demanded to know what I was doing different. My lighter softer landing 6wt line was'nt spooking them like his big heavy 8wt.
Roll forward to later in the afternoon when the Reds had gone off feed and we decided to target some Spotted Seatrout. If you did'nt slap a gurgler on the water near them and pop it hard a few times they'd ignore you, you could cast across them and have them bite at your line.

Fish are Funny Creatures :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm • # 23 

Panfisher1 wrote:
Flflash ... Are you kidding me ...unrefined warm-water fly caster ...... silly enough to chase bream and bass ... That's
Great sport my friend catching those great fighting panfish on a fly rod ...thats all we do down here In so florida ....the louder the splat the better ......and many ULFF enjoy the hell out of it ....welcome to the splat club ....

Paul ;)

Paul I fish for alot of different fish but my true loves will always be feisty Copperhead Bream and those Beautiful Suwannee Bass on a light flyrod, yes they both like the splat but at times they both can be as finicky as any fish around thats why I Love em :D
BTW, Headin down your way for some more Peacock flyfishing fun next month wish me luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 pm • # 24 

Make sure you got the right tackle ..those peacocks are vicious fish ... Minimum
Four weight ... True story ...was fishing a canal ( you and I know what canals are being Florida people) with a Whitlock deer hair bass bug ... The peacock crashed the bug four times b4 it caught it .. I saw what was going on and retrieved it real slow ..it never gave up on the bass bug, finally getting it ...amazing fish .. Much action and fun ...That peacock was only 15-16 inches ... Take surface poppers and bass bugs ..what a blast on
Surface action ....we fished the canals down around boynton, lake worth area ... Good luck and let me know how ya make out ..excellent conditions btw a lot of water in the lakes, ponds and canals from past rainy season ...
Nothing better than a 5-7 inch Bluegill on UL fly tackle, pound for pound ain't nothing more fun ....Season just starting 4 panfish down here ...
tight lines
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm • # 25 

I was planing on taking the 3wt and 5wt some flashy streamers and topwaters. We're planing on targeting Peacocks and Mayan Chiclids in the lakes/canals around the airport, I think it's called Blue Lagoon? We'll be down their for 2-3 days then heading on down to the Everglades for some back country fishing.
Any tips on Peacocks on a fly are appreciated, I've caught them on gear but never tried the flyrod on them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:25 pm • # 26 
Administrator

The one time I went on some canals outside of Ft lauderdale, I used an 8WT with something that resembled an EP minnow. It worked extremely well, so I would recommend a minnow pattern.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm • # 27 

Dan, the real problem is that you're just not holding your mouth open the right way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:33 pm • # 28 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Dan, the real problem is that you're just not holding your mouth open the right way.

Well Cliff, that's hard to hold right since its either stuffed with food or Copenhagen. Heck the voice automation on my computer don't work right either unless I've got a dip of snuff in, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:21 am • # 29 

I only fish for trout, and i'm a dry fly snob. I'm even a bamboo snob. I'm hopeless.

Anyway, presentation, and accuracy are much more important to me than distance. I'll only fish still water during runoff, and usually hate it. Oops! Moving water snob too.

My goal in casting is to have the line and fly unroll a foot above the water, and settle down softly together. Not always possible, but it's the goal. Wind can mess up the whole thing, and that's why i'll be down on a knee to cast whenever I can. It get's under the wind. It also makes a more level cast compared to standing up.

signed
The Snob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 pm • # 30 

x2 on splatting, the big girls don't budge without dimpling the water hard.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:20 pm • # 31 

Quote:
x2 on splatting, the big girls don't budge without dimpling the water hard.

I tend to agree with this -- I'm one of the few people around these parts who advocates a level leader for warmwater species. A level leader with a popper makes a nice splat ;).

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply