It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Need help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:56 pm • # 1 

I have pretty bad eye sight and have a difficult time on the river changing flies. Does anyone use a perfection loop at the end of their leader making it easier to add or change flies that have previously been tied to some tippet? Would the loop cause too much disturbance in the water for the trout?
Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Re: Need help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 pm • # 2 

You can do that and it will work. My eyesight and some of the others are also pretty bad. My prescription bifocal glasses are a +2.75 to which I have flip downs that are +4X. This might be what you need to look in to. There was a thread on this subject you might want to read.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6719&hilit=%2Abifocal%2A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 pm • # 3 

Your not the only one starting to have these issues, Thanks for posting that link to the other thread Joe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:09 pm • # 4 

If you just need help getting the tippet into the hook's eye, Orvis sells a (Tiemco-made) nipper with high quality retractable threader under razor sharp blades and magnifier on top. It's on sale right now, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:35 pm • # 5 

It might sound silly but I use the same thing people use to thread sewing needles. They are quite inexpensive and you can find them at most stores that sell thread such as Wal-mart etc. I use that and magnifying glasses :)

http://ooobop.files.wordpress.com/2011/ ... reader.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:36 pm • # 6 

Do you tie? What you want is the Tiemco 146z hook series, if you can find any. They made dry, wet, and nymph models. These are open eye hooks. I use a Uni- knot and slide the loop open to change flies. I bought dozens of each before they were discontinued, but any is better than none. These are the only flies I can change without glasses.

It is worth it to invest in some anglers sunglasses that have a little bifocal at the bottom. Then you always have magnification. I prefer the 146z hooks anyway, as you don't need to retie and trim the knot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:41 pm • # 7 

Orvis sells 4.0 and 5.0 readers with glass lenses that are excellent. The 4.0s work for me, I have to hold flies close but not fighting knots anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:07 pm • # 8 

Clip-on magnifier + Davy knot works for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 pm • # 9 

I'm going to play with a couple C & F Design Threader boxes to help tie in the small guys. Also,you can prethread your flies before you leave home to make tying on faster.

http://www.candfdesign.com/products/602733

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:33 am • # 10 

I'm blind in one eye, so I have no depth perception. I'd never win a contest for tying knots fast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm • # 11 

Creek wrote:
I'm blind in one eye, so I have no depth perception. I'd never win a contest for tying knots fast.

Same here. I use 5X magnifiers and the Davey's knot and it works well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:32 pm • # 12 

Yeah, I have to use a magnifier too. I remember one time I forgot it, and after 15 minutes of trying to tie on a fly I gave up, and went home.

Not a happy day on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:47 am • # 13 

This may be really lazy, but this is what I do while on a trout stream. I use furled leaders(looped), I have pre-tied looped tippets with flies attached rolled up in a leader wallet, can change flies in under a minute, works great for me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:00 pm • # 14 

fatfly wrote:
This may be really lazy, but this is what I do while on a trout stream. I use furled leaders(looped), I have pre-tied looped tippets with flies attached rolled up in a leader wallet, can change flies in under a minute, works great for me!

Just curious how many flies do you carry like that? I might try this for dry flies. I hate to change flies during a hatch. One minute feels like an eternity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 pm • # 15 

okimoto wrote:
fatfly wrote:

Just curious how many flies do you carry like that? I might try this for dry flies. I hate to change flies during a hatch. One minute feels like an eternity.

Ever notice how the wind stops blowing as soon as you clip a fly to change :lol

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply