It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 am • # 1 

Hi - I'm new to the board, but I've read a lot of threads on here for the last year or so. I'm not an UL fly fisherman in the sense that is probably meant on this board, but I do use a 3 weight fairly often for sunfish/bass around here -- and also for brook trout as well.

One of the most effective ways of catching sunfish I've found around here is by using soft hackles. I can often catch fish when nothing else is working, including poppers (which are another fly I enjoy using). Often, I used them on stillwater by simply using a series of very short strips (like 1/2-1") made rapidly, and then followed by pauses. I tend to use the rod hand to do this, not the line hand. I came into fly fishing from spin fishing and can't get used to not using my rod hand :) . Oh well.

Anyway - just wanted to share! Some of you guys might do this as well. I tied my softies like David Hughes suggests, and the little rapid strips appear to rapidly open and close the hackles. I assume this appears to be an emerging insect to the bluegill, but honestly I don't know. It just works well. Most of the ones I tie are "pheasant and yellow" and "pheasant and herl, orange, or green". Usually tie on barbless size 10-16 wet fly hooks. I prefer hen pheasant feathers for this, some of the cape/saddle works great as well as the shoulder feathers. Other birds work well, but we hunt pheasant every winter and I end up with plenty

As a bonus, I use the same flies for trout when I make my way to the trout streams ;).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:08 am • # 2 
Administrator

I couldn't agree more! Soft hackles are certainly hard to beat - I fish them as you describe.
If you can, I'd love to see some of the patterns you tie.
Welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 am • # 3 

CBarclay wrote:
I couldn't agree more! Soft hackles are certainly hard to beat - I fish them as you describe.
If you can, I'd love to see some of the patterns you tie.
Welcome!

Ditto-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm • # 4 

Oh yeah! This is where most of my fly tying is influenced from Tenkara and a lifelong love of all soft-hackles. The bream love them and they will work any predatory species. Add hen or partridge or any other soft hackle to just about anything and you will increase its effectiveness. Rene Harrop shows us about the great effectiveness of CDC too. Unless you are a die hard traditionalist or hatch matcher, please try these wonderful "living" feathers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 pm • # 5 

I've been preaching the effectiveness of soft hackle flies on panfish for
Many moons... The pulsating action of the hackle under water is very
Enticing to panfish ... My favorite is the McGinty soft hackle in size 12 ..
Most if the time the Gills won't even give it a chance to sink b4 they crash
It ... But when and if it does sink it's a very effective pattern ... They can't
Seem to leave it alone ....

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm • # 6 

they definately catch fish; my main gripe is that in the smaller sizes you catch a lot of really small fish; the little ones seem to nab it before the big ones can-p-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 pm • # 7 

Gp .....the McGintys you tied for me are super panfish flies ... Treat em like
Gold ... I can't remember ever seriously using a soft hackle pattern for panfish that I didn't catch something ....they are a deadly fly on panfish the McGinty pattern ...
Dont leave home without em .....
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 pm • # 8 

I like the smallest gold bead I can get on the hook in front of the hackle. Gives the fly a darting movement. The bigger fish sometimes hang under the little guys, so I will count it down, then dart it up. Without the count, it will stay close to the surface.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:53 am • # 9 

A larger bead will definitely give it a jigging action.

I think more colorful flies work better for Panfish, like the McGinty. Actually I just think they are more fun to use.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 am • # 10 

A few basic soft hackles I use around here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:54 am • # 11 
Administrator

When I first started fly fishing, and tying, I bought one of Sylvester Nemes, books.
After reading the book I was bitten by the softhackle bug, and used them almost exclusively for a couple of years on panfish. I had one whole fly box dedicated to most of the patterns in Nemes' book The Soft Hackled Fly.

The only soft hackled fly in my box these days is my own Deer Creek Swimming nymph, a proven killer here locally. I'm sure it would be a killer nation wide too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:11 pm • # 12 

well, let's see the deer creek swimming nymph Jeremy; don't keep it a secret from your buddies!!!!-p-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 pm • # 13 
Administrator

pearow wrote:
well, let's see the deer creek swimming nymph Jeremy; don't keep it a secret from your buddies!!!!-p-

I posted about it in the fly forum today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:47 pm • # 14 

I too have started using soft hackles in different ways recently. Previously I had really only dead drifted them, but I have found them to be really effective in other ways this season. Early in the season, while fishing small brush covered streams, I found them very effective when swinging from upstream. Often times certain holes can only be fished from upstream and it is hard to fish some flies effectively from upstream without spooking fish while retrieving your first drift. Now that the higher elevation lakes have iced out I have started using them with my intermediate sinking line and stripping them back with smaller strips than one would fish a normal streamer. In many lakes the fish are not so particular, but in some of the "big fish" lakes I find that I do not have much luck or have a lot of refusals when fishing larger flies like streamers. The soft hackle is a perfect substitute for a streamer in this case.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:31 pm • # 15 

My Scruff Jack flies using soft hackle hen feathers. These are on #8 2x long shank Mustad hooks with a 60 deg bend and bead.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm • # 16 

Jeremy, I like that fly and will tie some up immediately to experiment with for trout and gills. Linecaster I like those. Do you weight them for deeper water?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 pm • # 17 

willie bob wrote:
Linecaster I like those. Do you weight them for deeper water?

As with any fly if you need to fish deep or fast water add more weight via lead wire wrapped around the hook shank I guess. Or tungston bead. I have not tried either yet.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply