Do you use your dominant hand to crank?
Right handed, right hand retrieve. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Right handed, left hand retrieve. 87%  87%  [ 71 ]
Left Handed, left hand retrieve. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Left handed, right hand retrieve. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 82
 Post subject: Retrieve hand
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:09 am • # 1 

I know what Lefty says; which is to crank the fly reel with your dominant hand...but not everyone does that. The reason is that you're more coordinated, thus efficient, with your dominant hand cranking.

I think I'm doing it wrong. I'm right handed, but with the fly rod I've ALWAYS cranked the reel with my left hand. Where as, with conventional tackle, I always cast with right hand then swap the rod to left hand and crank with my right. Don't need to mention that I also flip a spinning reel up(side down) and crank backward...my dad caused that, don't know why he does it either. :o

I'm seriously thinking about changing all of my fly reels to right hand retrieve. Does that make sense? The only time it would change anything is playing a fish "on" the reel. Most likely I'd still strip line with my left hand, and mend/roll cast with my right.

So, what do you do?

Post subject: Re: Retrieve hand (poll)
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 am • # 2 

I believe the reason I find left-handed cranking more comfortable is for the same reason you do: started out spin fishing. Cast with right, crank with left. Also, I've found that fighting larger fish (salmon) for up to half an hour is a lot easier with my stronger (right) arm.
Can't say I ever saw the sense of swapping rod hands to play a fish 'on the reel'. Once your left (or non-dominant) hand has the muscle memory associated with cranking a reel, I believe that there is no disadvantage.

But, as they say, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 am • # 3 

I just find it more "natural" to keep the rod in my right hand (I am right handed) and crank with my left when the reel is below the rod (fly or spinning).
Oddly, when I tried a left hand retrieve baitcasting reel it felt uncomfortable. :lol

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 am • # 4 

Well, if it's any consolation, I'm almost ambidextrous. When I'm fishing heavy gear for big fish...like halibut in Alaska, it's always left hand on the rod and right hand cranking the reel. Of course, there isn't much of an option when all of the tackle is set up that way.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:54 am • # 5 

Only twice in my life have I ever had to fight a fish off the reel. The rest of the time I use my left hand to pull in the line. The time I caught a 9# largemouth bass on my fly rod I retrieved the line by hand. When I got the fish into the boat and was taking a picture of it I noticed that the reel had fallen off the rod while I was fighting the fish, and I didn't even know it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 am • # 6 

Barracuda will put themselves "on the reel". ;) But that's not really ULFF either. :lol

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 am • # 7 

Nice interesting stuff Carter, crank with my left, play the fish with my right ..
That's my dominant and stronger hand ...bigger fish, immediate to the reel, small
Panfish size left handed line retrieve ....but I can pick my nose either right or left handed, took some practice but I mastered it quickly. :rollin :rollin

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:24 am • # 8 

Panfisher1 wrote:
....but I can pick my nose either right or left handed, took some practice but I mastered it quickly. :rollin :rollin

Paul

Was that before or after you started playing around with cayenne pepper :lol

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 am • # 9 

No more cayenne pepper for me Joe, I learned my lesson ;) ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:00 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I'm not at all more coordinated reeling with my dominate hand, as Lefty suggests, but then I'm not a fan of Lefty at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:06 pm • # 11 

:D I'm a south paw I cast with my right,strip it back with my left

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 pm • # 12 

Right handed left hand retrieve with all my fishing fly ULFF and heavy and spinning if I ever do that anymore

Muz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:25 pm • # 13 

Have always used a left-hand retrieve. My right hand is dominant and stronger to hang on to all of my 6" trout and gills.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:42 pm • # 14 

The right hand retrieve is an "Old School" saltwater thing not sure how it started?

But anyway which is more important making a good accurate cast with your dominat hand so you can catch fish or having your dominate hand ready just in case that lousy looking off mark cast you just made with your non-dominate hand just happens to find a fish???

I say do what ever feels best to you and if it's workin for ya don't worry so much about what others have to say ;)

BTW I cast both left and right handed but only retrieve with my left so when I cast left handed I have to pass off the rod to my right hand so I can begin retrieving.... you did'nt have that option in the poll.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm • # 15 
Administrator

willie bob wrote:
Have always used a left-hand retrieve. My right hand is dominant and stronger to hang on to all of my 6" trout and gills.

Though I'm somewhat both-handed, I couldn't have said it any better myself. :hat

Although there was that one time when I went on a Medalist kick and retrieved right handed for a little while. And when I say 'retrieve', I am talking about when I gather the line in after fishing because putting a fish on the reel is just weird. ;)

Post subject: Re: Retrieve hand
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 pm • # 16 

Right handed, left hand retrieve. I have now set up all my reels that way....but for over 30 years, there was no consistency in my system and I had reels set up each way. I prefer the look of a classy reel set up with the handle on the right side, same as the logo on the rod. That to me was the classic way and it worked as in most of my fishing, I just stripped the fish in anyway. On my big equipment, I wanted the reel on the left side. When I was spin fishing or using a casting rod for bass or steelhead, I hated changing hands with the rod. I jumped for joy back in the 80's when casting reels started being made left handed.

As of this Winter, everything I own is now set up for right hand on the rod, left hand to reel in. Getting old I guess and want simplicity in my life.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 pm • # 17 

I let the reel decide. I like old reels with my old rods and a lot of them are RH retrieve. Don't get too hung op on it, have more trouble going from cane to graphite than left to right hand retrieve. Besides, it's good for the brain to mix things up.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 am • # 18 

I might be out of the group here a bit(or maybe not in this case); in Europe (or Belgium at least) it is common to ALWAYS hold the rod in your dominant (casting) hand, and crank with the other.
I never understood the logic behind the (i think mainly US) habit of changing hands after casting, just doesn't make sense to me.
this is of course refering to spinning, but also applies to fly casting.

to complicate matters, i do have one reel i crank right handed, but that's because it was a gift form my uncle (who is a lefty) and you need to press fit the bearing to change its retrieve.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:45 am • # 19 

I'm going to confuse the situation here... I currently have some on the right hand retrieve and some on the left hand retrieve, but for me it is much more comfortable palming the reel (if the fish gets onto the reel) with my right hand. Other than that I cast right handed mostly, retrieve line left handed and reel in right handed (is easier to do this quickly to change spots than with the left), IF some truck takes my fly line and I feel the drag is not set high enough (after a juggling act of swapping the rod to my left hand) I palm the reel with my right hand instead of readjusting the drag setting. Strange hey, and everyone wants a massive drag knob (which ends up sitting on the left hand side of my left hand) but instinctively I palm on the right with my right. Any good suggestions for a shrink? ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 am • # 20 

ThomasR ....I'm in total agreement with you on using your dominant hand
Casting and cranking with other ...would seem awkward another way ...like
Throwing a ball, you could obviously do it, but not very efficiently ..re the release for changing the retrieve, there should be a pressure spring to release the bearing, is it hex shaped ?

Paul

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 51 posts ] New Topic Add Reply