It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 51 posts ] New Topic Add Reply

Do you use your dominant hand to crank?
Right handed, right hand retrieve. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Right handed, left hand retrieve. 87%  87%  [ 71 ]
Left Handed, left hand retrieve. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Left handed, right hand retrieve. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 82
 Post subject: Re: Retrieve hand
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 am • # 21 

I'm left hand cast, right hand retrieve. I used to be a hand switcher after casting lefty to retrieving lefty but my last casting instructor broke me of that. You need to be able to set the hook as soon as the fly/ popper etc hits the water. Switching hands will just cost you fish in a warm water situation.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like Lefty's casting method.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 pm • # 22 

Now I'm confused; retrieve means to bring the line in; so, I retrieve with my left hand. But, my handle is on the right side so if I'm gonna wind or get a fish on the reel, then I hold the rod in my left hand and "crank" with my right. I cast right handed. So, the poll is scewed. I retrieve left, crank right. Confused???-p-

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 pm • # 23 

pearow wrote:
Now I'm confused; retrieve means to bring the line in; so, I retrieve with my left hand. But, my handle is on the right side so if I'm gonna wind or get a fish on the reel, then I hold the rod in my left hand and "crank" with my right. I cast right handed. So, the poll is scewed. I retrieve left, crank right. Confused???-p-

No, Gene, the poll is not screwed up, you are. What you need are reels with the crank handle on the left-hand side, then everything will work out fine for you. Geeezzz, the things I have to teach old men. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 am • # 24 

Panfisher1 wrote:
re the release for changing the retrieve, there should be a pressure spring to release the bearing, is it hex shaped ?

Paul

No there is not, it's a round needle bearing, and the reels are somewhat known for being a pain in the tail to reverse. The reel being so valuable, i'd rather not mess with it :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 am • # 25 

How about a reel with a handle on both sides :rollin Then everybody would be happy :lol

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 am • # 26 

Anyone try those 'automatic' reels?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am • # 27 

I cannot reel a tight circle, like a fly reel with my left hand; however a larger circle like a spin reel I can reel with my left hand, if I don't have to do it really fast-p-

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 pm • # 28 

There is no rights and wrongs use what you feel more comfortable with.
Once I try to switch hands because a very respectful fly fisherman told me so, it lasted a season I switch back to what I like

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:44 pm • # 29 

I am right-handed. Some of my reels are rhw so I adapt somehow. I am accustomed to reeling with my left hand but after a few minutes I get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 pm • # 30 

I cast right reel/strip in left.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 pm • # 31 

Pearow is just to old to learn something new. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 am • # 32 

that is true Cliff; very true. My kids want me to buy an "I-phone" so they can text me and keep up with me(those phones have a tracking device to show others exactly where they are!!!)I will not text! I will not text! I reel with the same hand I cast with/ will not change-p-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm • # 33 

Gene, I swore I would never get one of the new phones either. Two months ago I broke down and did it. Even an old dog like me can learn new tricks. :applause Now I can check my email when I'm away from the house, get navigational directions on the go, and yes, even text (but very, very little texting). Yep, t has a GPS also, but nobody in their right mind would want to track me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:34 pm • # 34 

Submarines don't go on land we have to spy on your fishing whereabouts, thanks for making it easy Cliff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 am • # 35 

I know I have no chance of casting with my non-preferred hand, and in the tiny streams I fish, there is just no time to switch hands to strip line before a fish strikes, or use the reel once on. I like applying the pressure via the rod with my preferred hand also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 am • # 36 

I cast with my right and retrieve line in with my left.

No fancy phone here either. I have a $20/month pay as you go phone with minimal capabilities. No camera, no GPS, it can text but I rarely do that, and no tracking because it's not on a contract plan - so no one can track me.

I don't need no stinkin' leash!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:45 am • # 37 

Hey Cliff, it's not the people in their right mind you need to worry about. It's all the other one's. :rollin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 pm • # 38 

I'm right hand dominate and retrieve with my left hand. I've never really given it much thought past the point that it just feels natural but the comment about coming from a skin casting back ground might help explain that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:34 pm • # 39 

Right hand dominate. Cast with right, retrieve with left, palm reel with left or right for drag, crank reel with right. Ninety-eight percent of my catch is by stripping in the line. If I have to crank the reel it is because the fish has taken the line and the line is usually taunt; plenty of time for me to change hands to retrieve by reel using my right hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:39 pm • # 40 

Left handed right hand retrieve. I love it because since everyone I meet casts right handed so it makes sharing the bow of a drift boat very easy.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 51 posts ] New Topic Add Reply