It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 42 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Mono for tippet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am • # 21 

ibboone wrote:
I never thought about comparing diameter of lines.
I did a google search on each (stren & rio tippet) and I must admit that I was surprised by my findings.

I know trout can be super picky. A buddy of mine likes to fish for brook trout and he tells me sometimes that he can't catch a fish unless he uses 7x tippet.

Dan

This is why I ignore those fussy trout.
I have no business chasing after any critter that danged particular.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 am • # 22 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
If you go to Little Larry's site, warmfly.blogspot.com, and talk about using straight mono for leaders you will get booted off his site.

Well, now you know I just gotta....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:19 am • # 23 

I use maxima ultra green mono, very transparent underwater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:00 pm • # 24 

Spinning line is notoriously uneven, and also (or maybe because of) is rated much lower than it actually tests mosts of the time. Fly fishermen will often say that spinning mono, say 3x, is only 4 lb test, when 3x tippet might be 8 lb test. It's not that the line tests lower than tippet, it's that stretching, polishing, and quality controls applied to tippet allow manufacturers to rate tippet more accurately. Should you care about any of this? Probably not, unless you're attempting to break official records and need to be able to rely on the accuracy of your line rating. Just know that when you use 2 lb test spinning mono, it's probably 3 or 4 lb test. Go by the diameter and don't worry about it for most fishing.

Last edited by Cross Creek on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm • # 25 

Cross Creek wrote:
Spinning line is notoriously uneven, and also (or maybe because of) is rated much lower than it actually tests mosts of the time. Fly fishermen will often say that spinning mono, say 3x, is only 4 lb test, when 3x tippet might be 8 lb test. It's not that the line tests lower than tippet, it's that stretching, polishing, and quality controls applied to tippet allow manufacturers to rate tippet more accurately. Should you care about any of this? Probably not, unless you tie you're attempting to break official records and need to be able to rely on the accuracy of your line rating. Just know that when you use 2 lb test spinning mono, it's probably 3 or 4 lb test. Go by the diameter and don't worry about it for most fishing.

I like that "don't worry" part.
I haven't worried in years, and it's nice to know I needn't start now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:27 pm • # 26 

I never worried either, but I do enjoy the more supple tippet. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:41 pm • # 27 

:-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:03 pm • # 28 

sbreech wrote:
I've used both and they work just fine. I've actually tied my leaders with mono, and then used the fluorocarbon for tippet. Around here, though, it is very difficult to find the very light mono or fluoro, so I just buy the Cabelas brand tippet spools for like $4.00 or less.

Exactly what I do if I don't just buy some tapered ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:46 pm • # 29 

Most of my warm water fishing I use fluoro from large spools...100 yds to 220 yds. It's way cheaper and does the trick in most cases. If fishing smaller flies I'll use loop knots so the flies still move properly in the water. I think having a refractive index near that of water plus the increased abrasion resistance is worth the extra cost of fluorocarbon line.

For trout fishing, especially when going smaller than #18 I use tippet material...mono for dries and fluoro for nymphs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm • # 30 

I've done it for years. I also use regular tippet line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:58 am • # 31 

Rock river,
What is "regular tippet line" ?
Are you using tippet made specifically for flyfishing or regular fishing line?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:39 pm • # 32 

When I'm fishing warmwater with my 3-wt. I use #1 tippet material for a leader because it sinks faster than mono, and when I'm fishing for bream I want the fly to get deeper faster.

Last edited by Cliff Hilbert on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:51 pm • # 33 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
When I'm fishing warmwater with my 3-wt. I use #1 tippet material for a leader because it sinks faster than mono, and when I'm fishing for bream I want the flt to get deeper faster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:57 pm • # 34 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
When I'm fishing warmwater with my 3-wt. I use #1 tippet material for a leader because it sinks faster than mono, and when I'm fishing for bream I want the fly to get deeper faster.

Although I haven't tried it myself, I hear leadcore will sink even faster than #1 tippet material. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:24 pm • # 35 

Im gettting a bunch of lead core trolling line soon.
It's 18#, which I assume is for some given length.

My friend uses it to make sink tip sections, which he loop attaches between his main line and leader.

Gonna see how that works out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:36 pm • # 36 

All kidding aside, I saw a guy use it to advantage on a 3 or 4 wt rod. He had a small section built into his leader that had the effect of making his streamer swim downward on retrieve. he gave me a piece but i haven't tried it....the hinging must be awful.

Harry

Post subject: Mono for tippet?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:55 pm • # 37 

Who's kidding? :)

Seriously, the hinging is a problem. Gerry uses small loops and says he has little problem.
Add a small knot-less loop at the end of the main line and use a small end loop on the sinking tip ends.

He doesn't use a really big section either. I think he said his is the equivalent of only 1/32 ounce, which makes it only a foot or so long.
More of a cast-able weight than an entire line segment.

I'm also pretty sure he isn't whipping large double line loops overhead with it, either.
But he swears by this method; I've drilled him for some clarification and here is his response:

"Leaving the lead core intact to make the loop seems to lessen the hinging.
The stiffness of the lead core seems to compliment the stiffness of the fly line.

About 16 inches, plus or minus, is my length..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm • # 38 
Administrator

Dayhunt,
I played around with a loop to loop clear sink section of 9" -18" on my 1WT, and it worked well for getting down. anything under 3WT line required some creativity when it comes to sink tips.

Back in 2010 I created the sink tip challenge in order to get some un-scientific results on home made sink tips. In this case I supplied the clear tip. One guy actually tried it out and posted some interesting results so look here:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=968&p=11981&hilit=sink+tip+challenge#p11981
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:38 pm • # 39 

I'm a still water man, so a bit longer may be needed.
I dunno yet.
We shall see

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 pm • # 40 

I find the use of lead on an ultralight setup somewhat incongruous but that may just be me. I have a number of rods that are better equipped to chuck weighted flies or heavier, sinking lines around.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 42 posts ] New Topic Add Reply