It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 42 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mono for tippet?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:02 pm • # 1 

Can I use a light mono or fluorocarbon line for tippet?

Post subject: Re: Mono for tippet?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 pm • # 2 

I've used both and they work just fine. I've actually tied my leaders with mono, and then used the fluorocarbon for tippet. Around here, though, it is very difficult to find the very light mono or fluoro, so I just buy the Cabelas brand tippet spools for like $4.00 or less.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 pm • # 3 

Yep, I do it all the time. My standard set up is trilene XL 6lb hand twisted leader 5ft long, then I add 3 ft of the same or 6lb fluorocarbon for tippet. And I can always from down to 2-4lb for my tippet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:45 pm • # 4 

I tie all my own leaders now and tippet is fluoro line. You can buy 200 yds for the price of 30.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 pm • # 5 

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=8589

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:55 am • # 6 

I also tie my own leaders and use monofilament. If I want a bit of sinking I use fluorocarbon tippet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 pm • # 7 

I do, too. 4lb mono is about 3X and 2lb is like 5X (diameter). I shop at online discount outlets more than I should for fishing supplies. Anyways, I got a few 100m spools of 2lb mono for 50 cents each (Stren low-vis green). It works great. I also use Stren fluoro as tippet. My leaders are regular mono as well. I use Stren Stamina for furled leaders (Mr. Crappie is my second choice). I'm not affiliated with Stren; they happen to be on sale more than others.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 pm • # 8 

I've been rocking Orvis SuperStrong (mono) tippet material for over 20 years. I have tried Flouro but always went back to the Orvis SS. I use it for 6" trout up to Steelhead and everything in-between. I order it right from the Orvis site cause thats the only way I can get 100yd spools, local shops only carry 30yd spools.

Fredy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:24 pm • # 9 

I use straight Stren mono for leader & tippet when fishing for trout its either 4 or 6 lb test,When bass are the target its 8 or 10 lb test mono.I've done the leader then tippet thing for a long time.But after talking to a man that has forgotten more about fly fishing than a lot of us will learn.I bought some stren & haven't looked back
:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 pm • # 10 

I use both also, but remember....I believe, mono floats where as fluoro sinks...so if you are fishing a small floating fly, be sure to use mono for tippet...............Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:27 pm • # 11 

I had a guide recommend mono as a tippet for tung head nymphing a month ago. I thought fluoro was only way to go and asked him about this. He said it sinks good enough to work and was cheaper. First day out, landed 5 in net in 2 hrs of fishing (in November with snow on ground). So he was right. I have opened my mind to mono now. I like mono because if you break it off in water, it breaks down over time. I've been wading and got tangled up in someone else's line around my feet and like that feature.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:06 pm • # 12 

Tailingloop wrote:
I use both also, but remember....I believe, mono floats where as fluoro sinks...so if you are fishing a small floating fly, be sure to use mono for tippet...............Don in SC

What Don says, here.
I carry a spool of both.
For a floating bait - mono
For a sinking bait - fluoro

This doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule, but it gives you a place to start.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 am • # 13 

I guess you're asking if you can use the mono/fluoro used for spinning gear for fly fishing? Of course you can, but it will be bigger in diameter for the same strength compared to tippet.

Personally, I just use tippet made for fly fishing. Thinner is always better to control drag.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 am • # 14 

What are you saying,,,, a fish will not eat a fly unless we use tippet from the $18 spool (30yds) of latest tech chemistry !!!

For many years I purchased Maxima in the 300-400yd bulk small spools for all of my leader construction,,,, a friend who was a dealer stated it was the identical mono that we pay 8x the price for a small fly tippet spool.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:56 am • # 15 

You might want to reread my post instead of trying to put words in my mouth.

I'm not here to argue. I gave my opinion, and i'll stick to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm • # 16 

Oh, yeah, I failed to mention, I fly fish for bluegill. I haven't seen a trout in 50 years. Sorry for that lapse.

My spools are the stuff sold as non fly line. You know, those little 100 yd spools you get at Walmart or the flea market.
I do have some of those meager rolls of "fly" tippet, too, mostly because I just figured I should. And that works fine.

About like the other stuff.

I know somebody went to a lot of trouble to make up those nifty litte spools of tippet. And some will have all sorts of reasons why I ought to use em.
I admit I've never seen an 18$ spool - and I hope I never do.

But if that's your thing, hey, You make your choices, you pay your money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:25 pm • # 17 

Years ago I ask this question to a couple of fly fisherman that wrote the book on fly fishing & I was told this buy a roll of stren 4 lb mono for trout & 8lb for gills & bass all tippet is mono that has been stretched. I haven't used tippet since with no problem if the fish you are trying to get to bite is so spooky that leader makes them run you aren't going to get them to bite no matter how good you are
Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:01 pm • # 18 

Of course everybody can buy and use anything they want. Which means I can use tippet, and you can use spinning line. Lets compare them.

Stren 4lb mono is .008 in diameter. That's the same diameter as Rio 3X tippet. Except the Rio tippet in 3X has strength of 8.4 lbs. So, for the same diameter tippet has twice the strength.

Of course you wouldn't want to use 3x tippet for a size #20 dry fly. There would be no way to put a natural action to the fly with such thick tippet. You might even have a hard time getting the tippet through the eye of a #20 hook. Depends on the hook.

So, to get a more natural action you would use a smaller diameter tippet. Something like 6X tippet. It has a strength of 3.4 lbs. Almost as strong as that thick Stren line. If you use 5X tippet it would have a 5lb strength. More than the Stren, but much more supple.

It depends on how you fish. If you use streamers, or heavy nymphs. Stren is fine, or any of the other spinning lines. If you fish small dries, or basically only dries like I do. Then tippet works better. I'm a poor SOB, but I can still afford to buy tippet, and I fish everyday from early spring to late fall. About 250 days a year.

I never said you can't catch fish by using spinning line. I just said how I do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:49 am • # 19 

I never thought about comparing diameter of lines.
I did a google search on each (stren & rio tippet) and I must admit that I was surprised by my findings.

I know trout can be super picky. A buddy of mine likes to fish for brook trout and he tells me sometimes that he can't catch a fish unless he uses 7x tippet.

This is why I like to read forums and interesting things like this.

I can go back to bed now, I have learned my one thing for the day. :eek

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 am • # 20 

If you go to Little Larry's site, warmfly.blogspot.com, and talk about using straight mono for leaders you will get booted off his site.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 42 posts ] New Topic Add Reply