It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: casting help, please
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:16 am • # 21 

All folks give good advice here:

Practice with longer rods, ideally with med actions to train your brain and muscles to feel the rod loading
If you can afford it get into a casting school to avoid bad habits that are difficult to get rid off, if not some more experienced fly fisherman that can guide you along the way or you can also record yourself casting and then watch it to correct and iron things out
Practice and practice and practice at a back yard, and while you do it think and pay attention to your movements, specially the abrupt stop at the forward and the back cast

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:10 pm • # 22 

It may help you to practice where you are alongside a relatively dark background such as a line of evergreens , a building etc.. Turn some to your right (if right-handed) and visually keep track of the line's flight back as well as forward and wait on the line to get just before horizontal to smoothly begin the next casting stroke. Doing this consistently for a bit will commit the sensation of the rod "loading" to muscle memory allowing you to transition back to a normal casting stance and lose the knots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:56 pm • # 23 

I put a double taper 4 wt line on the little Imperial and I can now feel the rod load!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 pm • # 24 

I own three rods and over line all of them (one weight heavier than weighted). The rod weights are 2, 3 and 4 weights. I do lots of "fishing" in my front yard. I also do this from my knees to simulate the kneeling I do on the streams. I also try to do this around dusk and in the dark. I've heard this forces you to rely less on your sight and watching loops and more on your feel of the rod when the loading (pulling) starts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:06 pm • # 25 

try to get a heavier line or a shooting head

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply