It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: nets
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:37 am • # 1 

I've lost two nets while fishing small streams. I drop them and they go by-by down the current. When wading with waders how/what do you do with your hand net?....and as a additional topic,.....wading staffs??????-p-

Post subject: Re: nets
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:35 am • # 2 

When I use a net it is tethered to my pack,or bag with a magnet on the net & a cord on the handle.That way if I drop it it will only go so far.As for my wading stick most come with an adjustable cord that is hooked to my belt.
:rollin Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am • # 3 

Ditto. I have a net zinger attached to my staff so I have more reach when moving but it retracts to my waist when stationary. I also have a solid staff not a collapsible type. I have seen too many guys with the collapsible ones fall in while their staff is neatly folded up in its pouch. I want mine ready all the time. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:45 pm • # 4 

Net is zingered to a ring on the back of my vest, near the collar. Line is long enough to allow me to reach the fish while still attached to the ring on the vest. Only real downside is that the net can sometimes get caught on brush and when it finally releases, the handle is pretty much aimed at my head. (On the upside, this event and the creative vocabulary that follows seems to bring great amusement to my fishing buddy.)
I have a solid wading staff made by a friend who makes walking sticks. I believe mine is red maple. He was kind enough to attach a lanyard of bright pink to make it easy to find when I lay it down, and to discourage theft by more manly anglers. Seems to work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:13 pm • # 5 

I use a D ring on the vest to attach my landing net with both string and magnets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:09 pm • # 6 

you can pay $15-20 for a magnet in the store for that or get on ebay and pay $5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:38 am • # 7 

Hi Pearow

I have bought one of those magnets which the kid is talking about. They're rare earth magnets so extremely strong! I have a D Ring on top of the back of my fly vest, so attach it there and the 'bungee cord' to a loop on my sleeve (to the net's handle). So if I want to/need to wade deep no problem with it being on my waist and when it needs to come off the cable from my shirt sleeve (near my elbow) is long enough to handle easily. Let me know if you need a pic of the set up?

Similar to so: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tight-Li ... l+Products

But the second one looks easier to attach to more things: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

Gert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:18 am • # 8 

Gert: I, for one, would love to see a photo of your set=up. Sounds like a great system!
Brent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 am • # 9 

Lol, might look slightly SnM but I'll try take some pics later tonight and post them. All I know is that magnet clip for the net made one helluva difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 am • # 10 

S&M?
Well, as long as your fishing net is the only 'fishnet' in the photo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 am • # 11 

wheeze; your comment made me spit coffee all over my computer screen.!!!!! I can visualize that net hitting you alongside your head and your comments henceforth!!!!!!!I was wade fishing in the surf on Galveston island and had a landing net attached with a bunji cord; the wave would come by, pull the net out behind me and then release it like a slingshot, hitting me about 3 times before I made the needed adjustment; then found my son had stopped fishing to take pics of the comedy!!!!!
good comments all-p-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:28 pm • # 12 

Soooo.... nothing kinky... would have shown it on me... but its FRIKKIN' hot and nobody wants to see that! ;) Here is my blog post on the net magnets: http://addictedtoflies.blogspot.com/201 ... agnet.html Pearow, try it out, I am sure you're WAY more kitted out than I am. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:49 pm • # 13 

Pearow: Sorry about the computer, pal. Yes, I can relate to your bungee net story. Funny how we have to be subjected to the same injury about three times before it seems worth remedial effort, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 pm • # 14 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Pearow: Sorry about the computer, pal. Yes, I can relate to your bungee net story. Funny how we have to be subjected to the same injury about three times before it seems worth remedial effort, eh?

What is it they say? Repetition is what creates muscle memory :lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:30 pm • # 15 

magnets! great idea! sociable; you got a ebay link for the ones you use or do you use the cabela's one? saw a jillion on ebay-p-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:20 pm • # 16 

Gene, the magnets work well because that's what I used to use when I wade fished. I had the magnet hooked to a D-ring on the upper back of my vest. But while I was walking through the woods at Broken Bow it must have caught on a branch because when I got to the fishing hole my net was gone and I was never able to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 pm • # 17 

My vest has a D Ring on the back. I have my net attached to it with a carabiner. It's a quick, natural release with one hand, and it ISN'T going anywhere unless I tell it to. Of course, I could probably hang myself with it if it got snagged on something...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 pm • # 18 

I too use the magnetic net catch. It's perfect except in thick brush where it's best to hand carry it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:56 am • # 19 

That's why it has the funny cable like this: http://www.oempromo.com/upload/Prod_240 ... 572018.jpg with a carabiner attached somewhere else. If it comes off in the bushes or water it'll pluck at my elbow and I'll be aware of it and fetch it. ;) Let me try look for an ebay link for it.

Mine is VERY similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF-Fly-Fishing- ... 0931764570

This guy attached it to the net with a Cable Tie, good idea that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-NET-RE ... 0615208908 I have a small streams net which will have the same done to it. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 am • # 20 

Joe C wrote:
What is it they say? Repetition is what creates muscle memory :lol

:lol Good point. You could also replace 'memory' with 'injury'. ;)
Mind you, I've also heard it said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
brent

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply