It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: nets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm • # 21 

okay, After listening to all the suggestions and then cleaning up my screen and keyboard, I went to Hobby lobby to see what I could find. Here are my finds:
1. magnets-cheep. I'm wondering if I can drill a hole in the center, insert a parachute cord; attach one to me and one to my net. That would work. I'm not sure the drilling won't de-magnetize the magnet; anyone know?
2. parachute cord buckles; cute little boogers; affix one to me, one to my net and try to get the *&%#**# net loose while fighting the fish of a lifetime. Probably a bad choice.
3.parachute cord breakaway buckles; looks like this one would work. Anyone try them? Picture to follow-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 pm • # 22 

I don't think you can drill a rare earth magnet. I think they will shatter. At least that is what can happen if you drop them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 am • # 23 

You can drill them but you should use a diamond bit or one for ceramic and go slow. You can't demagnetize it without electromagnetic energy or heating it too high.

They make hobby magnets with a premachined donut hole. Those don't look like rare earths but should work fine for a cheap fix.

If the DIY doesn't work, I only paid $10-15. Mine is a very strong rare earth and has slightly beveled grooves which keeps the net from rotating as I move.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 am • # 24 

The rare earth magnets are so strong you'll have to put your hip in it if to pull loose (if you get too close to a car/metal door frame) so try go for those with whatever fix you find. I have seen people use cable ties to attach an O-Ring to their net and then the magnet to the O-Ring. Make two of these and bob is your uncle. The cord can be attached to the net's handle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:37 am • # 25 

[quote="Unsociable"]The rare earth magnets are so strong you'll have to put your hip in it if to pull loose (if you get too close to a car/metal door frame)...
quote]

Sounds like you might pick up a few extra steelhead if you wade deep enough..... :lol
brent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:42 pm • # 26 

you fellors are too funny!!!!!
I can see a guy walking along the road and the double earth magnets affix him and his net to a passing car!!!!
earth magnets for steelhead!!!
the ideas keep on rolling in!-p-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:52 pm • # 27 

Gene, sounds like you still have plenty of that parachute cord that Gordon gave us years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:52 am • # 28 

No, I've used or gave away almost all of it; got a few pieces, but basically its gone. I saw where hobby lobby has an array of parachute cord; hope lighthouse for the Blind is making the cord for hobby lobby-p-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:21 am • # 29 

I use the Tight Lines from Cabela's that Gert posted. It works great. Except I don't connect it to the cord/handle. I hang mine by the bow from the D ring on the back of the neck with the bungee cord connected to the handle and clipped to near my waist. It might not be desirable if you didn't use a rubber net, since the net is up against your back.

Several good things about this:
-even if the magnet comes loose, which it doesn't, the net is still connected
-easier (for me anyway) to get hold of the handle to connect/disconnect
-net is tucked up tighter against you so no swinging and getting hung up on brush
-the bungee can be shorter and still allows plenty of length/stretch to reach the water

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:59 am • # 30 

I use a net that Greys makes. It has a rubber coated mesh bag and a built in magnet in the handle end with a cord connected from one part of the magnet to the bow of the net . That way I can use a karabiner to attach it to my chest pack or quickly switch over to my float tube or another vest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 pm • # 31 

JoeC I REALLY like nets with that set-up, but sadly we get the material mesh ones, so they build up a ton of water resistance and keep ripping off. Know three people that lost them. :/ but that one of yours looks like it'll let the water through no problems! Now only if I could get one and attach rare earth magnets to that sucker... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:39 pm • # 32 

I was fishing the other day and walking through brush to find my spot. Unfortunately I didn't catch anything, but when I got back to the car I discovered that instead of my net hanging from the magnet cord I only had the screw eye that was in the net's handle! Fortunately I found the net. Now it has a hole drilled in the handle and a 3mm cord to hold it to the net keeper.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:24 pm • # 33 

Unsociable,
Do a search on amazon.com. They have the greys nets on there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:43 pm • # 34 

I use a 42" Gear Keeper clipped to my fanny pack. Super sturdy, plenty long enough, even has a locking feature. Great product.

http://www.gearkeeper.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm • # 35 

I have one of these guys -

http://www.tenkarabum.com/daiwa-one-touch.html

The carry pouch is threaded onto my sling pack's strap with the net handle pointing downwards in storage, and I have a coiled lanyard going from the net hoop (attached right next to the handle) to a carabiner on my pack. Deploys easily when I need it, stays out of the way when I don't.

- Albert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:45 pm • # 36 

I lost my net and along with it my magnetic clip. So I bought a new one and improvised.

Super easy. Drill. Super glue. Net.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm • # 37 

I used to carry a net, seldom used it and don't carry one at all now. Most of my fish are pretty easy to lift out of the water. If I hook into a really big fish, I just "lip" the bass and long-nose pliers for the catfish and other toothy critters. ....Don in SC

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply