It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Tiny flies for brookies?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am • # 1 

I've fished for wild brookies for most of my adult life, and I'd have to say that the vast majority have been tricked by flies in the #16 to #6 range. (caught the odd one on a 2/0 Golden Eagle while fishing for salmon in the spring). On occasion, I've used #18s because that's what they seemed to be looking for, but my use of #20 to #26 flies have been more for the entertainment value than out of any sense of their efficacy. Truth be told, I've probably caught 70% of my trout from 6" to 4 lbs on #10 and #8 muddlers and #12 spruce flies. And I've seen the truly bulky fish chase down a swimming mouse, or anything that resembles one.

So, I'm looking for insight here: do any of you fish (successfully) for wild brookies with Lilliputian offerings? Dries? nymphs? I'm ready to dedicate some time to exploring this end of things in the upcoming season, but when I research tiny flies, it seems that browns and rainbows are the focus. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 pm • # 2 

It seems (to me) that brookies will consistently take larger offerings than browns or rainbows-at least assuming fish of equal size.

Last summer I was catching 6-7 inch brookies on a terrestrial ant in size 8 or 10 and the brookies are actually a minority in this particular stream.

Brookies are beautiful fish but I have not found them to be super selective-which is fine by me. I am not one that thrives on a constant challenge with a fly rod-sometimes I just want to catch fish.

Last edited by philos on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:55 pm • # 3 

I caught Brookies in Idaho on sz 14 Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, and black ants last summer. They were mixed in with Cutthroats and in these small streams I think I did fairly well. Didn't get skunked and did well through the "fishy" looking runs.

My largest fish was a monster at 10 inches, and I had many juvenilles in the 4-5 inch range.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:39 am • # 4 

Thanks, guys. Kind of what I expected. I think I'll still do a little more experimenting this year than last, with the microflies. And I'll work on my technique. I did manage to land a large brookie on a #18 this season past, but anything beyond that, and I'm in over my depth.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:59 pm • # 5 

Brookies will eat larger flies in WV where I fish them...until the water levels get low and slow. The same fish that would eat a #14 stimulator in April/May will run for cover if the same one comes near them when the water pools up and is running slowly. That's when I drop down in size. A #22 Griffith's Gnat is deadly on them, as are small Klinhammer-style emerger patterns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 pm • # 6 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Brookies aren't afforded as much of a offering as larger streams with more insects life so they will readily take larger flies. Larger flies will keep the little evil brookie off your fly allowing the bigger brookie to get em! I know that a fact Jack! hehehe!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 pm • # 7 

Phish wrote:
Brookies aren't afforded as much of a offering as larger streams with more insects life so they will readily take larger flies....

I see your point, but I'm not sure it applies here.
I can see that being an issue on tiny 'brookie' mountain streams and such, and places where stocked browns and rainbows or water quality/temp issues have pushed the brookies up into the headwaters, but the watercourses here that hold some of the best brook trout fishing average 50 to 150m (150 to 450 feet) in width. The trout ARE all the way up into the tiny headwaters, but they're in the lower reaches all summer, too. The 15"+ fish seem to be in the slower pools, where they have time to examine any offering, and still seem willing to take a #8 ratfaced macdougall at times.
These streams have pretty healthy benthic invertebrate populations, but the tea-stained water makes sight-fishing all but impossible. Not sure if that has any relevance to the efficacy of midge fishing for them.
Brent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 am • # 8 

Hi Brent, last year I had allot of success with these in a #18

When the Tricos are going, around the 4th of July, I like to use a #20 or #22 hairs foot spinner. I find that in the beginning of a trico hatch you can get by with a #18 Adams but as the hatch goes on Brookies can get real fussy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 am • # 9 

Tim:
Ah. Thanks. I have some questions:
What are you using for hackle on those 18 softhackles?
Do you have a local supplier of midge hooks in those smaller sizes, or do you mail order them?
Do you have a photo of the hare's foot spinner?
thanks. I'm guessing you're frozen in just like us downriver folks.? -26C again this morning. With the 4 feet of snow and weeks of frigid temps, it kinda feels like we've already had winter. I've burned through over half this winter's firewood allotment, and am looking at carving out a trail to next year's pile.
brent
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 am • # 10 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
You can bet those brookies don't have a problem seeing things in dirty water. Try a charcoal black caddis pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm • # 11 

I'm sure you're right, phish. I was more concerned about me seeing them, than them seeing my flies. What I have called 'tea coloured' is actually fully transparent, not turbid or cloudy. The stain is because much of the streamflow originates in huge peat bogs and wooded swamps in the headwaters. The length of the rivers are through forested land, and our forestry practises are well-enough regulated that silt only rarely enters the watercourse. (high quality watercourses enjoy a 100m buffer).
You know, I've never tried a black caddis pattern, other than stimulators. Thanks for the great suggestion; gonna hit the flybench today and crank some out!
Always learning here. Its great.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:01 pm • # 12 

Here's the list Brent
Glass Bead Soft Hackle
Hook; TMC 2487 #18, you can use any scud hook, I do get them online.
Thread; Black Uni 8/0
Body; Brown dyed hairs mask
Small glass bead behind the hackle, midge size
Hackle; Hungarian Partridge, if you can't find one small enough use Starling or Brown Hen

I've tried these in brown, gray and olive, the brown seems to work the best.

I've got to do a bunch of trico spinners right off, I'll post them when I get them done.
Trico Spinner
Hook; #20-#24 dry fly
Thread; Black 8/0
Tail; Sparse Black Hackle
Abdomen; Black thread, sometimes I use Peacock Quill
Thorax; Black Dubbing
Wing ; Snowshoe Hare Foot under-hair tied flat (spent wings)

Its been crazy cold with another inch of rain forcast for this weekend, fun fun fun!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:05 pm • # 13 

brookies around me have destroyed your classic humpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 pm • # 14 

Yeah got to agree with you but fishing in the mountain streams at times it's a cast a brookie using size 12 to size 16 Adams ,coachman and royal wulffs the smaller ones don't seem to be of any advantage.The brookie don't seem to care ,like a lot of little guys they seem to like to take on more than they can chew at times.

Muz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 pm • # 15 

You can catch some really tiny wild brook trout with a pretty large fly:

I caught this with a #12 Green Weenie.

It's the smallest trout I can remember catching on a fly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:34 pm • # 16 

I have a similar photo with a tiny brookie on a #12 Adams but I think yours may be about 1/2 inch smaller so you win that one

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 pm • # 17 

Have been using 16 & 18's for years.

I probably don't catch as many fish as others, but I keep enough coming to the hook to keep me happy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 pm • # 18 

For me it is dependent on the season. Here in Idaho for most of the year I fish mostly drys in the 10 to 16 range and do great on a wide variety of trout, including brookies. I like to fish a fly that I can see, so my dries are usually larger than most of the naturals. I also like dumb uneducated stream trout! It wouldn't work on some of our more educated rivers.

After November and through the winter until spring the only dry fly the fish will take is size 18 to 22 or smaller. The 18 would be on Griffith's gnats or other midge cluster flies. When the midges themselves are size 22 or smaller the trout get zeroed in on only seeing small stuff. I can't see my fly so I usually fish it behind a larger "summer" fly. I have yet to take a fish in full winter on that "sighter" fly. I love it in the spring when the BWOs start coming off, and I can start using slightly larger drys... like 16s to 18s.

If I fish a nymph or streamer, then size no longer matters as much. I can frequently use a stonefly pattern or other large nymph that is in the river all year and do great. But again a trailing midge in a size 18 or smaller will out fish it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:02 pm • # 19 

I was catching 6-9" Brookies in CO last month with a size 8 hopper. They killed that thing. What a blast in those little streams.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:46 pm • # 20 

Brookies, cutthroat been killing em with Griffiths gnats 16-20 and one of my
All time favorites the "Jassid" 16-18 thanks to Gp forum member and good friend who tied me up a dozen ...I treat em like gold, don't think jungle **** feathers are
Allowed to be brought in the USA anymore ....

Paul

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply