It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 am • # 1 

The wet v dry thread sparked my interest. There is a good number of wet fly fishers on here, so lets hear what your favorite patterns to fish with are (if you're up to sharing, and don't want to keep your super secret killer pattern hidden away)

I dig classic patterns, and have a real soft spot for royal coachmen. I usually tie mine in the traditional coloration, but since I suck at making mated fiber wings, I usually use either calf tail for the wing, or if I want something a little more jazzy, calf tail & angel hair or flashabou mix. I will also mix up body colors, using green, purple, blue, and gold. I will also occasionally do a soft hackle version and use partridge or guinea for the hackle.

Runner up for the fav spot would be the simple partridge & orange, and/or the partridge and red, although if I can't find partridge, I have been known to substitute guinea, pheasant, or even short mallard feathers for the hackle. Anything that gives that mottled, whispy appearance of the original. On one of the streams I fish a lot for coastal cutthroat, the red fly sees more action as the fish respond better to that color than the orange body. I think it is because the red stays brighter and red when wet, as the orange bodied flies, when wet, appear more brown and subdued.

When I want to fish something much more bug-like in appearance, I use a hare's ear bodied fly with mottled turkey wing, ginger hackle, and either pheasant or turkey tail fibers, with a gold rib. I think the fish eat it as it can pass for spent caddis or alder flies or even a drowned stone fly.

If I'm on a serious wet fly jag, and I'm fishing a team of flies, I will 90% of the time have at least two of the above patterns on. Once in a while I break down and do the "traditional" light medium dark approach, but I usually opt for (1) pure attractor pattern, (1) "life suggesting" pattern (ala soft hackle) and (1) buggy pattern, or an actual imitation of a spent fly.

I've also been known to just tie on three different colors of soft hackles and call it good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 pm • # 2 

Since I fish warm water 99% of the time, I like the Super Cypret Minnow, the MM Minnow, the Sinking spider (modified cap spider) and the standard Woolly-Bugger. If top water is not working, I usually fish one or more of the above........Don in SC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm • # 3 

Back in my fly tying days (before I got married and became a cat owner) I used to tie the simplest, most deadly wet fly. I would wrap some lead on a heavy wire hook, use natural grey rabbit for the body and a soft hackle of grey CDC. Trout would attack that fly like they were starving. Simple, but deadly when cast a bit upstream, allowed to sink and then swung across.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:30 pm • # 4 

Most of the time its a black or brown woolly-bugger. Occasionally is a partridge soft hackle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:40 pm • # 5 

Briminator or Scruff Jack for Brim and Bass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 pm • # 6 

It's hard to name a "favorite" because there are a number that I fish and like but I have had much success and caught quite a few nice trout on a Brown Hackle Peacock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:47 pm • # 7 

Hairs Ear Softhackle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm • # 8 

A Muddler Minnow, preferably in gold. You can use it for everything, just change the size. While its usually fished traditionally, I dead drift them and fish it like a dry fly all the time. Friends give me a lot of static about using the same fly but I don't care, it just works. I keep saying I'm going to dedicate a whole box to them in different sizes and colors. Its the King.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:07 pm • # 9 

Partridge & Orange or Yellow, and a Pheasant Tail Flymph/Soft Hackle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:51 pm • # 10 

For traditional winged wet flies, I find the White Miller at dusk is excellent. In sunlight, a Light Montreal. A cloudy day, a Coachman.

So why do I carry boxes of flies I never use? Ouch, truth hurts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 pm • # 11 

zug bug!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 pm • # 12 

I just do what trailingloop says (Don), since I don't know enough to have a favorite yet.
Of the flies I HAVE caught bass and bluegill on, various small soft hackle, gurgle poppers/foam bugs and nymph-ish patterns have worked.
Im hoping the Briminator will be a good choice in the future since I find them so appealing to tie... and so have a mess of them!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:50 pm • # 13 

Silver Invicta a.k.a silver knicker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:23 am • # 14 

Black or olive Woolly-Bugger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:40 pm • # 15 

A slow sinking spider. I fish all warm water. I live in New Orleans La.

Last edited by N.O.Flytyer on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:38 am • # 16 

Woolly bugger - it catches everything from coldwater trout to bream, crappie, bass (largemouth, smallmouth, stripers and hybrids) catfish, gar, carp, whatever kind of fish you want.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:04 pm • # 17 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Woolly bugger - it catches everything from coldwater trout to bream, crappie, bass (largemouth, smallmouth, stripers and hybrids) catfish, gar, carp, whatever kind of fish you want.
i do like a Wooly Eyed Bugger*, I admit.

* WB w/ bead chain eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:58 pm • # 18 

What Bear said. A Hare's Ear soft hackle.

Although I tie mine using guinea hackle and without a tail.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:35 pm • # 19 

This past week I fished a cloudy day on the Sevier River in Marysville canyon looking for brownies. Really low, clear water- lots of bigger rocks and pockets, a few deeper pools. I tried nymphing it for a couple hours with nothing.

I tied on a #14 royal coachman (traditional wet) and caught 4 brownies in about 45 minutes. Then I lost the fly and tied on a #14 Catskill pattern. Caught another 3-4 in less than 20 minutes. I fished them upstream as well as across and swinging, twitching the rod tip. Made no difference.

A few weeks back I was slaying the browns on the Sevier with a #18 pheasant tail, switched to a R.C. (I think a #16) and started getting rainbows.

What I like about wets is how the fish often tend to hit them which is an exciting change from the subtle takes using nymphs or even dries.

But I have had best luck with the R.C. and since it is traditional, and I like its looks, the R.C. is my favorite wet. I never have gotten into rigging more than one wet, though. It makes me too anxious about foul-ups.

Whenever I tie on a wooly booger, I feel like I should be using a spinning rod- that's just me. But I got no problem with a small muddler minnow on the 3 wt. And that doesn't make any sense at all, but there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:37 pm • # 20 

These are kinda nice - Gaetan nymphs.
Good for proving subsurface.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply